Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alabama proposing mandatory vasectomy law for men over 50

Posted by Cambion 
Alabama proposing mandatory vasectomy law for men over 50
February 18, 2020

A proposed Alabama law would require that all men get a vasectomy after they turn 50 or after the birth of their third child, whichever comes first.

The bill's sponsor, Rep. Rolanda Hollis, said the measure gives perspective to reproductive health laws, including the state's contested abortion ban.

“It always takes two to tango," she told AL.com. “We can’t put all the responsibility on women. Men need to be responsible also.”

Hollis, a Democrat, added the proposal is meant to "neutralize" the Human Life Protection Act passed last summer, which would have made performing an abortion a Class A felony, punishable by life or 10 to 99 years in prison. A federal judge blocked the ban in October, and a lawsuit is pending.

If passed by the Republican-controlled state government, the bill introduced last week would also require men to pay for their vasectomy. The proposal has drawn criticism from outside the state, including from Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

"Yikes," Cruz tweeted Sunday. "A government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take everything . . . literally!"

While the abortion ban was under consideration, Democratic State Sen. Vivian Davis Figures proposed adding an amendment to make undergoing a vasectomy a felony, but the effort failed.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that forced sterilization is unconstitutional, but during the 20th century the federal government funded coerced sterilization of people of color, disabled people and poor people in 32 states, PBS reported.

The law states that men would be required to undergo a vasectomy within a month of turning 50 or after having three kids, whichever comes first, and the procedure would be done at the man's own expense. I guess this is an attempt to level the playing field by not putting all the stress of unwanted pregnancy on women by trying to make it a crime to get or perform an abortion.

I don't see this shit passing because you can't make people get sterilized - it's probably a violation of rights. Also, what happens if men just don't get sterilized and go and have a fourth child or the big 5-0 flies by without a visit to a urologist? Are there any repercussions? What happens if the vasectomy fails? Does the man get punished for it?

I'm a little torn. On one hand, I don't think the law should be stepping into people's sex lives AT ALL, but on the other hand, cutting men off at three sprogs sounds good too because nobody needs more than three kids. Will they extend the same right to women? After maybe age 40 or three kids, get a tubal or hysterectomy? I also don't like that it could be legally required, but the guy still has to pay for it. If the state wants anyone to undergo a medical prodecure, they damn well better be footing the bill.
Re: Alabama proposing mandatory vasectomy law for men over 50
February 18, 2020
It won't be passed. It is only being proposed to draw attention to the double standard regarding abortion and women's bodies. However, the forced birthers won't give a shit. And that's where social liberals always get it wrong: they persist in thinking that if only they can draw attention to the logic, people will realize their views are wrong and change them. For some reason they can't wrap their heads around the fact that these people are fucking assholes who have no compassion and get hot thinking about installing a theocracy.

But if we were talking about my dreams, everyone would get sterilized after a maximum of 2.
Re: Alabama proposing mandatory vasectomy law for men over 50
February 20, 2020
yurble

But if we were talking about my dreams, everyone would get sterilized after a maximum of 2.

My deam is steralization at 0.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login