Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guy adopts older kid

Posted by cfdavep 
Guy adopts older kid
March 02, 2020
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/single-dad-adopts-13-old-abandoned-2-years-173429950--abc-news-topstories.html

Sad that the kid was abandoned at age 11 at the hospital and good that this guy took him in.
Re: Guy adopts older kid
March 02, 2020
I'm shocked they let a single parent, let alone a single man adopt a child of any age. Seems like you have to go through hell and back and blow five figures for a mere chance to adopt a child in the US, and only if you're a straight married couple.

Good for him and good for the kid too, especially since the kid was adopted and then ditched by the only parents he ever knew. I do wonder why they abandoned him after raising him for 9 years, and also why no charges were pressed because surely the kid knew their names and he's obviously too old for the Safe Haven laws to protect his parents.

Seems like kids in the system have an expiration date and if they're more than maybe two years old, precisely nobody wants them. I'm glad to see there are exceptions and some people will gladly adopt a less "fresh" child. The kid sounds pretty happy with his new dad too. I hope for the best for them, and also hope more people follow this man's example.
March 03, 2020
It's far more noble to adopt an existing child than to give birth to a brand new one. Good on this guy for helping out. He's done the right thing.
March 03, 2020
I had to Google this one as the yahoo link wasn't current, but what I found was pretty neat:

https://www.boredpanda.com/single-dad-adopts-13-year-boy-abandoned-2-years-earlier/?utm_source=search.yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=organic

The dad had an abusive childhood, ran away from home, and somehow managed to land in the US and succeed in his real estate business. He wanted to help out other kids and became a foster parent. He was the boy's foster dad for two years before adopting him. What a great guy with a great heart.

I wish the boy and his dad the best. I'm sure the kid has some issues about being abandoned, but his dad sound like he will be in a good place to empathize and support his son.
March 04, 2020
Randomcfchick beat me to it (same link too!). Seems the kid was abandoned at age 2 by his biological mother, adopted by a couple of Bible humpers who proceeded to abandon him at a hospital and relinquished all parental rights. His dad fostered lots of kids and said he wasn't feeling up to taking in another child because he'd just given two boys back to their bio parents and missed them, but he took this kid in "just for the weekend" anyway. Took the kid 20 minutes to start calling him "Dad."

This guy is a treasure. We need more like him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login