Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breeders could take a lesson from Lucy Ricardo

Posted by Cambion 
Breeders could take a lesson from Lucy Ricardo
March 09, 2020
Don't worry, I'm not gonna do the whole "things were better back then" because the 50s weren't all puppies and rainbows. I've been binge-watching I Love Lucy and there's a season 3 episode where Lucy explicitly states that she doesn't want them to be the kind of parents that force everyone to look at their baby photos. But then Ricky can't help himself when their friends come in bragging about how adorable their brat is, in which case I can kind of understand because they started it.

Find the episode here:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6g67fc

It just strikes me as such a foreign concept that people have ever exercised this kind of self-control when everyone always wants to show you pictures of their damn kids as if they're more special and unique than any other small human.

And I also like how that show handled Lucy and Ricky reproducing. Little Ricky does not become the focal point of the show, nor does he dominate the characters' lives - he simply becomes part of their lives and they go about being themselves. You don't even see him in some episodes after he's introduced to the show. Again, could be something a parent of today could learn from - the ones who are totally swallowed by mommy quicksand who never regain their former personalities and wonder why their partners leave them.
Re: Breeders could take a lesson from Lucy Ricardo
March 10, 2020
I am ADORING the Sheba cat food ad. The cat sitting on the Mom's shoulder and they are gazing adoringly at each other. Kid yells "mom I fell"she says the band aids are in..."He says "I'm bleeding" and she tells him to "use two" while she feeds the cat. hahahaha
March 10, 2020
I noticed with the older shows things were what they were and people just moved on, even with offensive stuff. No one acted as if each kid is the second coming and even women tied to the home had more personality than the average breeder of today. I think there needs to be a push today for more people to keep the ecomomy running
March 10, 2020
cfdavep
I think there needs to be a push today for more people to keep the ecomomy running

AI will run the economy, the rich will live lives just dandy, and most Americans will be unable to get a job diploma or not. Orphanages will be a thing, and we will have a Dickenson hellscape to look forward to. I know that as an autistic, despite only being 51, I am at the end of my life span. I just hope I die before the Hellscape happens.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 10, 2020
I was raised in the 1960's and 1970's, same time as the Lucy show. My mom was a typical mom of the day and although she did not have the convenience items Moos have today, she also did not have the angst-filled emotional hardships that parunts seem to willingly embrace today.

Actually I am going to go old foagie:

Back then it was a given that growing up was hard for kids and there were a lot of lessons that needed to be learned such as:

1. eventually you need to be self-sufficient
2. the self sufficiency starts early. I was age-appropriately responsible for my own life: picking up my own mess, managing my own homework and extra-curricular activities. Parunts today shuttle their kid here and there and hover over every practice and activity. It amazes me and my DH. My DH rode his bike to sports practices and his parents only came to the "important" games or track meets, if they came at all.

My mom was not my best friend and I was not a prop for her self-esteem. My mom and dad had a social life that did not include me. When they would go to other couple's houses, the kids would pay in the attic or the backyard. Both parties had time to themselves and this was healthy. My mom could read a book or play bridge by simply telling us to go find our own entertainment.

I love the term "mommy quicksand." As best as I can tell, looking from the outside, most Moos are their kids' managers. My mom was not my manager. She had another job, to be a homemaker and stretch the dollars. She took pride in herself.

Modern moohood looks like quicksand filled, sinking cult of performative "I'm the bestest Mommy in the World!" Nobody is Doing Enough or Doing It Right.

So thankful every day I opted out of that hot mess!
March 10, 2020
My mother had a full-time career and two special needs children. My older sister was habitually on death's door and my autism had me functioning at about 6 years younger than I actually was. I was also frequently sick, as I caught every childhood illness there was except Whooping Cough. As I was recovering from one illness, another would have me on my back so immunizations were not an option as the child must be healthy. I had Strep at least a dozen times between 2 and a half and age 18.

Yet even with all these problems, both my sister and I were very independent at our middle school ages. There were things you did and things you did not do. The only thing that suffered was chores, as neither sister or I were healthy for any length of time to instill good habits. Sister did drop out of high school because back then there was no means of assisting a chronically ill student through education. There was no way for her to make up the work she missed as she could sometimes miss more than half the year.

Each of us was expected to find our own entertainment if we were healthy. If we got bored, it was our problem. It was only when there was a health issue that the stops were taken out, or in my case, a teacher decided to patronize my mother for having a disabled daughter. When the sister had children, those three were also expected to find their own entertainment. I went CF.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 11, 2020
I remember that if you complained about being bored when I was a kid, you got more chores. You learned to entertain yourself pretty quickly.
March 11, 2020
When we were kids my cousins and I would find four objects for goal posts, someone had a ball and we played soccer with whatever soccer sized ball we had and had serious fun. No adult had any interest in us and if any did we would wonder if they had a lawn to mow or something. Nowadays a kid is done for mentally if duddhie has to work the weekend and misses his kids soccer practice.

There wasn't even such a thing as "grandparent involvement" Grandparents were someone you visited and occasionally visited you, one could never expect them to "help pay for college" or adopt you if you parents could no care for you, at least that is what mine were like. Quite the cultural change.
March 11, 2020
craftyzits
cfdavep
I think there needs to be a push today for more people to keep the ecomomy running

AI will run the economy, the rich will live lives just dandy, and most Americans will be unable to get a job diploma or not. Orphanages will be a thing, and we will have a Dickenson hellscape to look forward to. I know that as an autistic, despite only being 51, I am at the end of my life span. I just hope I die before the Hellscape happens.
The decreased lifespan does not come from anything inherent in autism. It comes from suicide and unrecognized health conditions, or if the person has epilepsy. And even then I don't know if the epilepsy had to be untreated to be dangerous.

As for the projected AI expected to take over everybody's jobs, AI and it's components requires mineral resources that are increasingly finite. Automation also requires endleas resources to be profitable, or it becomes more hassle to keep then it is to use.
March 11, 2020
nightfire
craftyzits
cfdavep

The decreased lifespan does not come from anything inherent in autism. It comes from suicide and unrecognized health conditions, or if the person has epilepsy. And even then I don't know if the epilepsy had to be untreated to be dangerous.

As for the projected AI expected to take over everybody's jobs, AI and it's components requires mineral resources that are increasingly finite. Automation also requires endleas resources to be profitable, or it becomes more hassle to keep then it is to use.

What kills autistics is stress and stress-related diseases. What the average person can accept for granted has to be learned by rote in the autistic mind. That kind of learning doesn't work in all situations, and things blow up in our faces on a regular bases. My blood pressure even with 4 types of medication is sky-high. I have almost no immunity, and a common cold can have me sick six months. That is if I am lucky and the cold doesn't go straight to my lungs, which is usual. Should I catch Corvid 19 I will die. Hell, even the flu could kill me. I get immunized every year as I know the risk.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 16, 2020
yurble
I remember that if you complained about being bored when I was a kid, you got more chores. You learned to entertain yourself pretty quickly.

I remember this too. About a year ago I listened to an older coworker complain her workload was low. She ended up being assigned a project she hates by management after she felt the need to admit this. She tried to demand I do it. I told her no and hell no. Guess she didn't learn to entertain herself as a kid!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login