Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What the Aztecs Can Teach Us About Happiness and the Good Life

Posted by freya 
What the Aztecs Can Teach Us About Happiness and the Good Life
May 02, 2020
I'm reading this article but I still can't make the connection between a worthwhile life and having brats.

Article quote
‘How many of you want to be happy in life?’ I ask. Everyone raises a hand. Always. ‘How many of you are planning to have children?’ Almost everyone raises their hand again.

Then I lay out the evidence that having kids makes most people more miserable, and that their sense of wellbeing returns to its former levels only after the last child has left the house. ‘How many of you still want children?’ I say. Maybe it’s just obstinacy, but the same people who wanted to be happy still put their hands up.

Maybe the childfree have decided being happier is better than a "true, good life."

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/what-the-aztecs-can-teach-us-about-happiness-and-the-good-life?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Re: What the Aztecs Can Teach Us About Happiness and the Good Life
May 03, 2020
The quote made sense. Then it stopped making sense on the next sentence.

My students reveal something that the pre-Columbian Aztecs knew well. You should stop searching for happiness, because that’s not really what you want.

Then, something like this,

What they meant is that the Earth is a place where humans are prone to error, where our plans are likely to fail, and friendships are often betrayed. Good things only come mingled with something undesired. ‘The Earth is not a good place. It is not a place of joy, a place of contentment,’ a mother advises her daughter, in the record of a conversation that has survived to this day. ‘It is rather said that it is a place of joy-fatigue, of joy-pain.’

which sure looks like an argument for anti-natalism, but clearly taking thoughts to their logical conclusion is clearly not the strong point of either the teacher or his students.
Re: What the Aztecs Can Teach Us About Happiness and the Good Life
May 03, 2020
Some people equate happiness with pleasure. Pleasure being something that really doesn't last, like a peice of chocolate cake. Real happiness is something more like contentment and generally being ok with your life.

The students seem to equate kids with a long marathon slog though life where at the end you win with the idea that "at least you left something behind"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login