Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Planet of the Humans

Posted by yurble 
Planet of the Humans
May 05, 2020
Planet of the Humans, a film produced by Michael Moore and directed by Jeff Gibbs, is causing a lot of ire among some people, who claim that it promotes untruths and should be banned for discouraging action about climate change. Some of the points that people take issue with are that it claims electric cars and solar energy are unreliable and rely on fossil fuels, and that people like Al Gore are supporting corporations that push flawed technologies over real solutions. The director describes the movie as a "full-frontal assault on our sacred cows."

I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know how accurate it is, but I can't help but suspect that one of the things that is getting people's panties in a wad is one particular sacred cow it tackles. Jeff Gibbs "has suggested that unrestrained economic and population growth should be the target of environmentalists' efforts rather than technological fixes."
Re: Planet of the Humans
May 05, 2020
I haven't seen the film either and don't plan to. I'm not an environmentalist, but I've heard the controversy over the film on how it addresses the topic of population and the environment. Theres an issue in the US where anything on "population control" is construed as racist and white supremacy. Its rather irrational. Population can have an affect on environment though its mostly people in 1st world countries and the middle/upper class driving SUVs. I guess if everyone in India wants and can drive an SUV maybe the plane would be going off the cliff.
It probably will anyways. I'd say its too late to do anything about climate change.
May 05, 2020
I am just glad I'm at the end of my life span.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
May 06, 2020
I didn't know MM released a new movie, so I searched for it and found it here. You can watch it free on their site.

linky

I can understand why environmentalists would raise the alarm about the film, because it soundly critiques the Holy Grail of environmentalists: solar panels, wind farms and biomass. It shows how all those electric cars are running on coal and gas produced electricity. Biomass is the cutting, chipping, and burning of whole forests. It does the same with wind farms and large windmills.

It's ironic, because we've looked into putting solar panels on the roof, but decided against it. The initial outlay was $20k for the panels, not including storage tanks. The panels don't collect that much energy form the sun, so we'd still have to be plugged into the grid. I looked at how they're manufactured, and saw the intense use of mining and energy created to make them. We didn't think it was worth the expense both environmentally and cost wise to install them.

The film spends all of 5 minutes mentioning over consumption, capitalism and population control.

My suggestion for everybody would be to see the film for yourself.
May 06, 2020
Peace
I didn't know MM released a new movie, so I searched for it and found it here. You can watch it free on their site.

linky

I can understand why environmentalists would raise the alarm about the film, because it soundly critiques the Holy Grail of environmentalists: solar panels, wind farms and biomass. It shows how all those electric cars are running on coal and gas produced electricity. Biomass is the cutting, chipping, and burning of whole forests. It does the same with wind farms and large windmills.

It's ironic, because we've looked into putting solar panels on the roof, but decided against it. The initial outlay was $20k for the panels, not including storage tanks. The panels don't collect that much energy form the sun, so we'd still have to be plugged into the grid. I looked at how they're manufactured, and saw the intense use of mining and energy created to make them. We didn't think it was worth the expense both environmentally and cost wise to install them.

The film spends all of 5 minutes mentioning over consumption, capitalism and population control.

My suggestion for everybody would be to see the film for yourself.

The only solution is the extermination of the entire human race.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login