Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A year of maternity leave before starting new job?

Posted by toraneko 
A year of maternity leave before starting new job?
September 23, 2020
Is that what you get from this?

At 5 feet, 8 inches tall and nearly eight months pregnant, I felt rather conspicuous and inelegant next to Justice Ginsburg’s trim, impeccably dressed 5-foot frame. But the justice never mentioned my pregnancy during the interview — never questioned whether I could handle a notoriously demanding and all-consuming job with a young child — and offered me a job on the spot.

Even though we did not discuss it then, it was apparent a year later when I began working for her that she remembered that I had a young child.

It's an article about a breeder sow gushing about what a great boss Ginsburg was. But this quote really stood out. Did this bitch actually take a clerking position for a Supreme Court justice and then wait a year to start it? I hope I'm wrong.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/09/23/ruth-bader-ginsburg-clerk-pregnancy-tribute-column/3502658001/
Re: A year of maternity leave before starting new job?
October 06, 2020
She postpones a job offer for maternity and thinks the boss will forget she had a child? That’s a whole new level of breeder delusion.
I’m sure Justice Ginsburg already knew that the moo couldn’t handle the demanding job with a young child. But the good PR must have been worth hiring an extra person to fill in for the moo.
And she felt inelegant because she’s tall? Was she raised under a rock?
October 07, 2020
We don't know when she was actually offered the job after the interview. Working as a clerk on the Supreme Court is a highly desired job and vetting would take a while.

I was kept waiting for two years for a job offer from the Department of Homeland Security after passing background checks. By the time I actually received the offer, I was working elsewhere making more money. The feds can make you wait when it suits them.
October 07, 2020
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I hope that is the case here as well.
October 09, 2020
Oh, that makes much more sense!
October 09, 2020
So much of that lame story crow-bared the Moo angle, when it was really about RGB being a good communicator and a fair boss.

Most clerking jobs are like PhD or graduate programs: just as graduate students = slave labor to tenured university faculty, big name Judges use clerks as slave labor to write their opinions and keep on top of their caseload. Many judges treat their clerks like shit because they can. However, these jobs are also ticket-punches to get into an elite law firm or a lucrative career, which is why people sign up for them.

The article read that Moo was allowed to go home at dinnertime and telework on anything else the rest of the night, and RGB would tell her earlier in the day if she needed her to stay late instead. That seems like common courtesy and leadership to me.

What I want to know is, did RGB treat everyone that way, or was it just Moos? If work can be done anywhere, I would hope someone without kids would have this option as well. And I would hope if this woman got the job with a kid, that she was expected to do the job without slacking off because MOO.

Yeah, one can dream.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login