Amy Barett wants women who abort to die apparently
October 28, 2020
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/amy-coney-barrett-abortion-capital-crime

They found that one over at Vanity Fair.
Re: Amy Barett wants women who abort to die apparently
October 28, 2020
That will be expanded to birth control. Just you watch.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
October 28, 2020
I cannot access the article but it's not surprising.
October 29, 2020
bell_flower
I cannot access the article but it's not surprising.

Where there's a will, there's a way smiling smiley

ARTICLE:

The defining feature of Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court confirmation hearing was her refusal to answer a single question that might actually reveal her opinion, as a judge or a person, on some of the most consequential matters to Americans. In particular, Barrett repeatedly claimed she couldn’t possibly say anything about the Affordable Care Act or abortion, issues that will no doubt come before her in the 40-plus years she’s expected to sit on the court—and probably sooner rather than later.

That’s not because she doesn’t have extremely strong opinions on these matters but because she does—that’s why Republicans nominated her, knowing full well that when a case regarding Obamacare is heard in November, they can reliably expect that she’ll vote to overturn it, and that should a challenge to Roe v. Wade come up, she’ll do the same. Barrett wrote a law review article criticizing the Supreme Court for upholding the ACA’s individual mandate in 2012, in particular going after Chief Justice John Roberts, who looks like a flaming liberal in comparison. In addition, she has praised her mentor, the late Justice Antonin Scalia, for his dissenting opinion in King v. Burwell, which upheld the law’s subsidies as constitutional. As for abortion, Barrett wrote in one court opinion that the procedure is “always immoral”; dissented in Box v. Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky Inc., arguing to uphold an Indiana law requiring doctors to notify the parents of a minor seeking an abortion; and dissented in the case of Commissioner of the Indiana State Department of Health v. Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky Inc., arguing in favor of a law requiring that fetal remains be buried or cremated. And, as we heard during her three days before the Senate Judiciary Committee, she signed a letter calling for the end of the “barbaric” Roe v. Wade.

All of which makes one of her nonanswers to a written follow-up question from Senator Sheldon Whitehouse extremely chilling. Specifically, the one in which she says, “As a sitting judge and as a judicial nominee, it would not be appropriate for me to offer an opinion on abstract legal issues or hypotheticals” in response to the question “Under an originalist theory of interpretation, would there be any constitutional problem with a state making abortion a capital crime, thus subjecting women who get abortions to the death penalty?”

Obviously, claiming that she can’t answer hypothetical questions has been Barrett’s schtick throughout this entire process and, in some instances, it might actually be appropriate to say as much. But not when the question is “can a state sentence a woman to death for getting an abortion,” unless of course she thinks there might somehow be a scenario in which the answer is yes!

Anyway, Barrett was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday, and today kicked off three days of debate on the Senate floor ahead of a vote scheduled for Monday. Following the vote, Barrett is expected to be confirmed for a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land, barring something crazy happening like “moderate” Republicans thinking maybe women shouldn’t be executed for choosing what to do with their own bodies.
October 29, 2020
To say that this is chilling would be an understatement. But I say we have a much bigger problem on our hands. We, the people, are only going to be allowed to exercise those rights that we, the people, demand. For way too long we have allowed the very few to torment the many. This will only stop when the many begin to demand very basic human rights. Abortion, in my opinion, is a basic human right.
October 30, 2020
I have no words adequate enough to express my disgust.

I would even say that this is blatant Republican hypocrisy. They hate government interference in anything (even enough to flaunt not wearing a mask) yet want to insert government interference into the most intimate parts of a woman's life.

I know this is just their way of control, but they really, really wanted to reduce abortion, a great way of doing it is to have a frank and honest class of sex ed, develop multiple forms of 'permanant' birth control that is low cost and easily reversed (and obtained) and offer to pay the medical and L and D bill of women that choose to have the baby (instead of abortion) and put it up for adoption. So many different ways, yet they choose to pick the one that tends to be least effective.

Ironically too, the 'life starts at conception' is a Catholic doctrine that the Republican party didn't even adopt as a 'Republican belief' until Jerry Farwell started pushing it in the 1970s. For the longest time, they believed life started at the first 'quickening' or when the baby emerged and took it's first breath.
October 30, 2020
nightfire
I know this is just their way of control, but they really, really wanted to reduce abortion, a great way of doing it is to have a frank and honest class of sex ed, develop multiple forms of 'permanant' birth control that is low cost and easily reversed (and obtained) and offer to pay the medical and L and D bill of women that choose to have the baby (instead of abortion) and put it up for adoption. So many different ways, yet they choose to pick the one that tends to be least effective

I am in favor of all of that as long as it includes unrestricted, taxpayer funded, available on demand, abortions. I am a little afraid that someone, somewhere, would market this as a "women's rights bill", include some of the above and sneak in a total abortion ban. We have been lied to for too long. It's time to call out all the bullshit.
November 12, 2020
I find anyone who tries to force women into unwanted childbirth to be cruel, but it's particularly disturbing when a woman wants to sentence other women to death for abortion. She's not part of womankind to me, but just a female with the mind of a misogynist. It's disgusting to say the least.

There is no reference in the Bible that states that abortion is a sin. In fact, there are many references that state that the woman is more important than the clump she's carrying. In Genesis, it clearly states that Adam did not become a man until God breathed life into him after he was created.

How pro liars managed to turn abortion into a sin is beyond me. I'm preaching to the choir now because it has nothing to do with sinning but as a form of control to keep women as dependent, second class citizens.

My husband and I watched her confirmation and we both knew she'd get in, but we're still disappointed.

If anyone here needs an abortion, I live in Canada and there's a women's reproductive health clinic just minutes from here. PM me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login