Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What were his/her parents thinking?

Posted by freya 
What were his/her parents thinking?
January 24, 2021
Saw what has to be a top 10 worst name ever. For context, this name is for a North American. The name is Candida.
Yep, this is a young American somewhere named Candida. This person is now an adult and has decided it is perfectly acceptable for everyone aged 15 or older to be picturing a fungal infection every time their name is mentioned. Candida (where ever you are) your name is so bad I bet you could start a GFM and end up having your new name paid for by strangers. I realize her/his parents could be immigrants. But once moving somewhere it might be wise to see what the name you're considering might mean in the country you're living in and how it could adversely affect your offspring. You know, one of those beings you so unselfishly brought into the world because you're such a good lil' lifescript follower?

The good news is a search on Candida is incredibly popular, with over 52 million results. So by the time Candida entered jr. high hysterical laughter chances are only 50% of the class realizes it is a fungal infection and I don't care if you are Ian-freaking-Somerhalder... you are going to be mercilessly teased!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a moron names their brat: Covid. It is just a matter of time, really. And I bet there are numerous Penises, Vaginas and Dildos running around out there drooling stupification and no telling what else.

I think authoring a book on what not to name the baybee in the US would sell like hotcakes. Problem is, some edgy wanna be parunts would buy the book and purposely give their kid one of the names expressly mentioned to avoid. Because edge.
Re: What were his/her parents thinking?
January 24, 2021
reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live sketch where the guy was unloading a school bus calling out all their names. All sorts of disease names, etc. When I was a young kid , the new cooking craze was Teflon. The local paper reported that some woman in town thought that was a nice name and named her baby after non-stick pans.
January 24, 2021
I think there was also a St. Candida in Catholic history, but I don't know what exactly she was canonized for aside from being a virgin martyr.

So many parents don't think about the impact a retarded name will have on their child's future. People thinking the name is fake, classmates picking on them for it, employers not taking them seriously. If parents are going to give their offspring stupid names, then they should put aside the $2000 or so it would cost to change one's name legally so the kid can decide if they want a new name when they turn 18. Because kids will make fun of totally normal names - having some bullshit name like Candida is like painting a big target on your back. Thankfully, I can only imagine many people of all ages aren't aware that candida is what causes yeast infections.

I think it might be a little too extreme to do something like have a legally acceptable list of children's names, but if people can't be trusted to not name their kids dumb things, maybe it wouldn't be all that bad. But honestly, there are so many perfectly normal names out there that there is no reason at all to make up a ridiculous one, and I think it should be considered borderline abusive to give your child a horrible name. What were the parents thinking? That's easy - they weren't thinking. Some of the shit people name their kids now are names I wouldn't give to a stuffed animal or a cat, let alone a human being.

Or maybe after a while, stupid names will become the norm and names like "Jim" and "Sarah" will become weird dated names.
January 24, 2021
I think there was some breeder who named her twin loaves Covid and Corona. I think it was mentioned on here somewhere.
January 24, 2021
mumofsixbirds
I think there was some breeder who named her twin loaves Covid and Corona. I think it was mentioned on here somewhere.

Please tell me you're kidding!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
January 26, 2021
cambion
. If parents are going to give their offspring stupid names, then they should put aside the $2000 or so it would cost to change one's name legally so the kid can decide if they want a new name when they turn 18.

Or at the very least give the poor kid a normal middle name so they have the option of going by that if they want.

A friend of mine had a "creatively spelled" version of a reasonably common name in the US, and by the time she was a young adult she was to tired of correcting people's spelling that she just changed it to the standard spelling. Her parents did her no favors.
January 26, 2021
randomcfchick
A friend of mine had a "creatively spelled" version of a reasonably common name in the US, and by the time she was a young adult she was to tired of correcting people's spelling that she just changed it to the standard spelling. Her parents did her no favors.

I suffered from that syndrome, only the 'creative' name came from the adoption agency as they gave me a nickname, and it stuck. My first adoptive family gave me the boring name of Ann, but I was nicknamed Sandi in the hospital because I looked like the copper top girl in the hospital. My second adoptive family left well enough alone. In my teens I was tired of correcting people, and changed my name to Sandy.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
January 26, 2021
Not surprised about Candida. Repeating here, but I shared in the cre8tive name thread that I was reading an article about the Radium Girls, young women who worked in watch factories in the 1920's and 1930's and handled radium with no PPE. Many of them died gruesome, horrible deaths (think, crumbling jaw bones and body bones) while the company denied liability for years.

What did I see in the comments? Some numbskull who wrote that "Radium" would make a pretty name for a girl.

What's next? Dioxina or Bacterium? How about Salmonella?

Breeders are idiots.
January 26, 2021
Fucking hell, I have a perfectly normal first name and I have to constantly tell people how to spell it because absolutely nobody gets it right and I don't know why. Honestly, it's misspelled on my office phone screen, my pharmacy misspells it - fuck, I'm shocked my own family spells it right! I can't imagine having a more bizarre name and having to correct people about it more often than I do already.

If you gotta give your kid a dumbass name, then at least give them a normal middle name (or vice versa). That way, they can decide for themselves if they want to go by the stupid name or the normal one, though I imagine the parents will be butthurt if the child decides to go with the name that's not "creative."

There are so many unique, cool, exotic, beautiful and interesting names already in existence for people who want their kids to seem more special than they really are. Why do we need to make up retarded ones? I can only assume parents are too lazy to actually look up these names and it's just easier for them to make up random bullshit off the tops of their heads.
January 26, 2021
Cambion
If you gotta give your kid a dumbass name, then at least give them a normal middle name (or vice versa). That way, they can decide for themselves if they want to go by the stupid name or the normal one, though I imagine the parents will be butthurt if the child decides to go with the name that's not "creative."

There are so many unique, cool, exotic, beautiful and interesting names already in existence for people who want their kids to seem more special than they really are. Why do we need to make up retarded ones? I can only assume parents are too lazy to actually look up these names and it's just easier for them to make up random bullshit off the tops of their heads.

Bolded part = pretty much the reaction my friend got. It was one of a whole suite of issues going on with her parents at that point in her life, though. They pushed and pushed to try and get the daughter they wanted. And they got....the daughter they got. She is who she is, and it took them a couple decades to accept her. The name thing was just the tip of the crazyberg.
January 26, 2021
In the 70s there was a pop song by Tony Orlando called "Candida." He was either singing an ode to a pretty girl or he just loved the fungal infection .
January 26, 2021
Candida, not just a creative name or fungal infection - it's a DUI defense!

Gut Fermentation Syndrome (aka Auto-Brewery Syndrome).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dui-for-candida_b_7821780

thom_c
Candida, not just a creative name or fungal infection - it's a DUI defense!

Gut Fermentation Syndrome (aka Auto-Brewery Syndrome).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dui-for-candida_b_7821780

Candida better get used to always having a designated driver.
January 27, 2021
bop
In the 70s there was a pop song by Tony Orlando called "Candida." He was either singing an ode to a pretty girl or he just loved the fungal infection .

Maybe it was both. But one was unrequited and he wouldn't reveal which one that was.
January 27, 2021
One thing I dislike is seeing an old friend or reading an obit of an old aquaintance, and the kids' names are just so corny or pretentous. Recently I read a kid's name Merek of an old Italian friend of mine. No offense to the ppl out there born w/ this....but my friend....what were they thinking? Maybe if he had a different non-super-Italian sounding name, but I personally think I would bust out laughing if my friend told me they were gonna name their kid this.It was the early 90s, so this was getting before ppl were going way too Uneek for names. I'm for individuality, but ppl are just trying to out do each other IMO. The thing is, when we were all young and talking about our favorite names, or even daydreaming what names we might name our kids someday(ugh--glad I grew out of that!) no one mentioned all these Uneek names they are using currently. His brother named his son Justin. Now, I dont think that is an odd name, but knowing the dad, this is probably the last thing he woulda wanted to name his son. If these are the names they are settling on, I wonder what the rejects were.

and you can't tell me that people dont put their potential baby names in a search engine, they can't figure out that they are naming their kid after a yeast infection?
January 29, 2021
years ago, I recall an episode from 'in the heat of the night' the series. .do not remember the whole storyline but some teenage trash girl had just shit out a bastard baby. it had been taken away or something... but I do recall one conversation between the wife of the detective and this idjet of a girl...
idjet started by saying she was going to name the baby rocket because that was how it came out... then asked the womans opinion...
woman said 'it says a lot about you'

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
March 03, 2021
@twocents

bouncing smileys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login