Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moo wants two months paid family leave for dead baby

Posted by cfdavep 
Moo wants two months paid family leave for dead baby
March 02, 2021
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dc-teacher-denied-paid-leave-223854115.html

Sprog was born dead at 31 weeks, and moo was denied paid family leave which is two months off, full pay which exists to TAKE CARE OF THE NEW KID, but feels she should get two months paid leave to grieve. She is looking for attention on instagram to get people riled up so the school will be forced to pay up for PR reasons.

There needs to be something in place to legally deal with these people.I know that at my spouse's place of employment they have legal stuff in place to deal with any potential moo scammers against the company such as the types who will take 3 months off, full pay and then quit anyways
Re: Moo wants two months paid family leave for dead baby
March 02, 2021
Hopefully her employer is not bullying other workers into giving up vacation days for her. Pretty sure bereavement leave of any kind is for people who were born and died. I don't recall anyone ever taking off two months for it. If she is sick enough to warrant two months off then she wouldn't have the energy to complain and hire an attorney.

What is stopping these wanna moos from purchasing short term disability or saving up money before sluicing? It used to be standard to do this. I guess they wouldn't have anything to complain about if they actually planned a sluice.

Years ago, worked with a moo that seemed like the type to cause trouble and on her 4th of 5th sluice she quit. She had only been at the position for 6 mos. or less. Soon afterwards we were all enrolled in short term disability insurance. I think she whined and potentially sued.
March 02, 2021
She was saying she needed time to heal physically...that sounds like sick leave, not family leave. Why isn't she applying for that?

Oh, wait, it's because she wants special treatment because pregnancy.
March 02, 2021
kittehpeoples
She was saying she needed time to heal physically...that sounds like sick leave, not family leave. Why isn't she applying for that?

Oh, wait, it's because she wants special treatment because pregnancy.

Agreed kittehpeoples. Miscarriages and still births can in fact do a lot of damage medically speaking. My mother had a very late miscarriage (about 8 months) and nearly died. It took Mom at least two months to recover, although she had a very physical job as a dance teacher at the time and this was the mid 1960s. As she owned her own business, there wasn't the issue of asking for medical or family leave.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 02, 2021
Big shock, a Moo wants to milk a reproductive mishap for all its worth. For fuck's sake, employers only give you three days off when your mother dies, so why would they give you two whole months off for a dead fetus? It can't be maternity leave because there is no live child to take care of. At best, it could be medical leave if she has to heal physically, but I don't know how much paid sick time these people get and she would likely need a doctor's note saying she officially needs X amount of time off to heal.

I'm sure it was a terrible experience for her to lose a wanted child, but since I assume that family = children as far as paid family leave, then I can see why she no longer qualified for it because there was no "family" she had to leave for. Yes she gave birth, but she does not have a kid to take care of - she is only taking care of herself, so the most she can do is use sick leave and vacation time and then take unpaid time off if she needs to be home longer for physical or mental health reasons.

“The fact is, my employer was choosing to not grant the leave that I had already been granted while pregnant because my daughter Aaliyah was not living,” says the grieving mother. “My body recovering, and the sheer fact that I did birth a child, is not dependent on Aaliyah being alive or not.”

Yes, but the sheer fact that you gave birth to a child that you did not have to take home and care for makes you ineligible for paid leave meant for taking care of living children. This isn't hard to grasp, lady. By this logic, a woman should also get paid family leave if she puts her child up for adoption or gets an abortion because she gave birth after all! Doesn't matter there's no child at home to care for, they should still get paid leave to stay home and take care of.... whom, exactly?

“What the mayor initially proposed was expanded bereavement leave for anyone who loses a child up to the age of 21 including a ... stillbirth,” says Silverman. “(But) you know it's tough to draw the line. So I said, ‘Well can we expand to any one of these as a close family member as defined like in our family and medical leave law?’”

I think this is reasonable - maybe not two whole weeks, but a week maybe. But it also has major potential of being abused. Imagine how many women will milk it by claiming to be pregnant and miscarrying repeatedly, and I'm sure any requests by management to see a doctor's note specifying the woman was pregnant would be taken directly to HR as harassment. All you would have to do to get half a month off with pay is say you miscarried, and if there is no limit on how many times you can do this because grief, a woman could probably time things right to squeeze 4-5 two-week paid vacations into a year on top of normal paid personal time off and holiday time off.

It says for "anyone" too, so a man could totally claim his wife or girlfriend lost a pregnancy and he has to stay home for two weeks to grieve and comfort her. Even if he has no wife or girlfriend.
March 03, 2021
The makers of the law made it for taking care of live people. They overlooked dead feti and I'm sure they will be beaten to death by hysterical Moocows of angel babies over it and they will probably get traction with our current Congress and with the fetus humping crowd.

I'm not unsympathetic to her plight, but HR people have to draw the line somewhere and you cannot blame them. There is no provision in the Act as it stands.

If the Act is changed, lawmakers would be wise to limit the leave according to term and to make doctors certify it. And yes, I can hear the outcry from women already but that's the price you pay if you are getting paid leave. I actually used FMLA to care for a sick family member, and that person's doctor had to fill out forms for UNPAID LEAVE. Deal with it, Moos.

It seems to me that birth recovery isn't unreasonable but perhaps it's better covered under sick leave provisions. I can see pro-liars getting all over this one. Making dead feti equal to people makes me uncomfortable.

Most large public employers have provisions to borrow sick leave for medical reasons. That seems more appropriate to me.
March 03, 2021
A woman I work with lost her adult son. He committed suicide while in the family home, and she found him. She took one month - a week bereavement time, the rest accrued sick time. She said later that she came back when she did because sitting at home thinking about it wasn’t doing her any favors. I know not everyone grieves in the same way, but I doubt this woman needs two months. She’s not grieving the person this child was, because this child never became a fully formed person. She’s grieving the image that lived in her head.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login