Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wide-eyed surprise 7th graders who have never used a knife or walked a dog

Posted by cfuter 
Re: wide-eyed surprise 7th graders who have never used a knife or walked a dog
March 31, 2021
cambion
It's most likely not that the kids can't make their own lunches. It's that they can't be trusted to make semi-nutritious lunches, so their handlers have to pack their lunches for them. Or maybe they really are too lazy to even stuff a sack full of Mountain Dew and an entire family-size bag of Oreos and call it lunch.

While teaching I saw the stuff that some kids' parents packed for lunch...and "sack full of Mountain Dew and an entire family-size bag of Oreos" isn't too far off. One kid routinely had soda and half a box of Cheez-its. Mom said it was all he'd eat and even tried to use the phrase "eating disorder". thinks someone else is crazy And surprise, surprise...her kid was pretty non-functional in the afternoons when he ate that crap for lunch.

I did pack my own lunch a lot, especially after about third grade. And it worked because my parents fucking supervised my efforts and taught me how to do it right. I knew a lunch had to contain a fruit or veggie component, for example.

I've also noticed parents bitching about making snacks...and the kids requesting food are totally able to open the fridge and make a sandwich or peel a fucking carrot. They should ask if it's an okay time so they're not ruining their appetite or overeating...but they should make their own damn snacks.

bell_flower
In casual conversations in the workplace, I'm amazed how many kids are completely exempted from doing any household chores. They are expected to focus on school and after school activities so they can get into a good KAWLEDGE. That never flew in my family of origin. We all got the lesson--there is no such thing as a free lunch. And it did not matter if you were a girl--you were expected to shovel snow and cut grass too. None of this Disney Princess shit.

Oh amen to that. My sibs and I were expected to focus on school and were encouraged to go the college route, but we also had fucking chores! And helped with meals! And actually did cooking when old enough (gasp). I wasn't thrilled about mowing the lawn, taking out trash, folding laundry, weeding the sidewalk, cleaning the cat box, etc. But here's a shocking fact: all three of us kids left home able to tend to our basic needs in college! Wow! It's almost like my parents knew they were training future adults!
March 31, 2021
Right, no one is saying kid gets what kid wants in the lunch, just that they make the lunch themselves outta the stuff in the fridge. Any mom can say Hey Bratlina, there's deli meat and bread in the fridge, some baby carrots and a snack, make your lunch before you go to bed.
April 17, 2021
My parents just didn't keep that kind of junk in the house. That was an even easier way of ensuring that we packed healthy lunches (which we did from a young age).
April 19, 2021
yurble
My parents just didn't keep that kind of junk in the house. That was an even easier way of ensuring that we packed healthy lunches (which we did from a young age).

That is, in fact, the smart way to do it. I follow the same rule as an adult trying to lose weight - can't eat junk food if I don't buy it, and dog knows I love beetusy snacks. But parents will do one of two things: buy garbage to placate or prevent their brats' inevitable screeching meltdowns complete with dramatic collapses to the floor, flailing, screaming, sobbing to the point of vomiting... OR they buy crap food and say, "But it's all Bratleigheee will eat!" Yes, it's all he'll eat because you buy it! Stop buying it so he won't be able to eat it, let his ass starve for a few days and pretty soon I'd wager the little wanker's palate will become significantly more accommodating to healthier foods.

Taking the easy way out, as usual for breeders. They don't realize that the short-term relief they get from giving in to their kids' demands will result in a child that is much, much harder to deal with long-term because it's so used to getting its own way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login