Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Student loans are more likely to be discharged for single moos

Posted by Techie 
Student loans are more likely to be discharged for single moos
March 05, 2022
They say no good deed goes unpunished. Being responsible and not having kids that one cannot afford, that is a good deed and one will get punished. In the article at the link, there is a discussion that covers how being a single moo can get one out of student loan repayment. Screw the CF as being responsible in this world only helps those who are careless.

https://news.fiu.edu/2022/your-chances-of-getting-rid-of-student-loan-debt-depend-on-who-youare
Re: Student loans are more likely to be discharged for single moos
March 05, 2022
I guess I was an absolute dumbass for working 2 jobs and paying mine off.
March 05, 2022
Understand that very few, even single moos, qualify under the stringent Brunner test for discharging student loans in bankruptcy. The researchers looked at 700 successful cases over 35 years. I suspect that was most or all of the discharges allowed under Brunner. Normally you essentially have to be a quadriplegic on a respirator to have a chance of getting rid of student loans this way.

I read online of cases years ago in which judges actually used a couple's sprogging as reason to deny discharging (I believe the husband's) loans, actually saying something like, "If you could afford to have children, you can afford to pay your student loans." These examples are probably outliers, but that's more the attitude you and I would face if we were trying to discharge our student loans.
March 05, 2022
It's already damn near impossible to discharge student debt in bankruptcy, regardless of reproductive status. It is very hard to prove that paying the damn things causes "undue hardship" - even if that's actually the case, student loan debt is unbelievably hard to get rid of. Also, and I may be mistaken about this, but something I read when I was researching bankruptcy as an option for myself: if you succeed in getting the debt discharged in bankruptcy, you have to pay income taxes on the discharged amount to the tune of 30 percent of the total amount that is discharged unless you qualify for a tax exemption.

Not surprised being a single Moo is more likely to work because single Moos are more likely to be unemployed and broke while single fathers have to get off their asses and work to pay child support and/or alimony so Moo can get some taxpayer dollars to sit on her ass at home.

Frankly I think having kids should lower your chances of successful debt cancellation by means of bankruptcy. If you have kids after getting yourself $90,000 in debt for a philosophy degree, you obviously have money, or you just think you do and have poor money management skills. Use it in the other direction too - oh, can't afford your loans? Guess you can't afford your kids either! And remove the kids from the Moo's care.

I'm all for student loan forgiveness/cancellation after dealing with a predatory lender for years, but give everyone an equal opportunity to have financial freedom, none of this mommies first shit.
March 05, 2022
kman
Understand that very few, even single moos, qualify under the stringent Brunner test for discharging student loans in bankruptcy. The researchers looked at 700 successful cases over 35 years. I suspect that was most or all of the discharges allowed under Brunner. Normally you essentially have to be a quadriplegic on a respirator to have a chance of getting rid of student loans this way.

I read online of cases years ago in which judges actually used a couple's sprogging as reason to deny discharging (I believe the husband's) loans, actually saying something like, "If you could afford to have children, you can afford to pay your student loans." These examples are probably outliers, but that's more the attitude you and I would face if we were trying to discharge our student loans.

I wonder if this will change now that a good portion of the people with student loans in the US want the taxpayers to take on their burden? I've been surprised at the constant whining in the news about it throughout the Pandemic. Back in the Great Recession they didn't give a damn about the unemployed with student loans.

If the court system is thinking critically they won't relent on this (700 successful cases over 35 years) or they will be buried in cases of specual snawflakes whining about student loans.
March 06, 2022
Cambion
Also, and I may be mistaken about this, but something I read when I was researching bankruptcy as an option for myself: if you succeed in getting the debt discharged in bankruptcy, you have to pay income taxes on the discharged amount to the tune of 30 percent of the total amount that is discharged unless you qualify for a tax exemption.

Debts discharged in bankruptcy are not subject to income tax on the written-off amount. If debts are written off outside bankruptcy, then that's considered income subject to tax.

The reason for that is that some high-paid executives decades back received sham "loans" from their corporations that were thinly disguised bonuses. After giving the execs the money, the corporations would write off the loan as "uncollectible", giving the execs tax-free income. The feds got wise to this scheme and changed the rules. That's why debts discharged outside bankruptcy become taxable income. To repeat: this does not apply at all to bankruptcies.
March 06, 2022
It's interesting. God only ever asked for 10%, everything else was a free-will offering. If all taxes are added up I think it is getting close to 50%.

And with the birth rate dropping, all the desperate idiots might go for any kind of bribery.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login