Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Co Worker gets harassed because she's not giving up her Moo Day off to a Moo.

Posted by bell_flower 
Note Newsweek's Breederific title:

Woman Praised For Not Giving Day Off To Co-Worker Who Lost Her Son

Here's the original AITA on Reddit

Naturally, many notable facts were omitted. The woman needs the day to study and maintain her scholarship. The Moo in question lost her son over a year ago. It's a company benefit, and others are free to give up their days, but they would rather harass the OP because she is a woman without children.

She's been outed and I'm guessing it won't be long before she's threatened.
I don't think workplaces should allow people to donate their days off to other co-workers because it can lead to abusive behavior like this where people who are "less deserving" (translation: have no kids) of days off get harassed for not giving up their vacation time and people who feel they are "more deserving" (translation: mommies) can guilt trip their peers into giving up their time off. But I guarantee if the co-worker who loses their vacation time wants a favor or wants to pool some days off, suddenly the needy Moo employees just caaaaan't. Working with breeders is a one-way street - they want all the perks, all the benefits, all the leniency, all the special treatment, and all the exceptions to the rules, but nobody else deserves them because being a mommy is so haaaaard.

I specify "mommy" because it's Moos who pull this shit the most, whereas I think a lot of Duhs who have to work to support their broods want to spend as little time at home with their screaming sproggen as possible.

This woman is not an asshole - it's HER day off, and she can do with it what she pleases. That's the point of time off - you have a certain number of days of vacation to use in a given year and you are entitled to take them off whenever you want. What the fuck does the co-worker need Moo Day off for when her brat is dead? It's not like she's a mother anymore. I know that's probably a cunty thing to say, but it's also the truth. She's also known since last year her brat was dead and she could have easily requested the day off in advance if she knew it would be an emotional day for her.

And based on the update the author provided, the greedy Moo can easily take Moo Day off, it'll just be unpaid. So she just wants to get paid to sit on her ass at home in pajamas crying into a pint of Ben & Jerry's. I'm glad the author is sticking to her guns, even though she's been outed to her coworkers.

Plus it's not like she was taking the day off for R&R, though there would be no issue with that at all because you can take PTO for any reason at all. Studying, cleaning, building a house, rescuing puppies, sitting around in your underwear watching House - there is no such thing as an invalid reason for taking a day off. She took it off for school-related things. Moo can stuff it - the author is taking the day to advance her future and Mommy doesn't need a day off for her dead brat who no longer has one. She can't be that sad about her dead kid if she's only willing to take a paid day off for mourning.

I'd be going to HR if I were the author. I'd consider this a hostile work environment, especially when people from work found her on Reddit, and if her real name and location are revealed, she'll probably get death threats, stalkers, and so on. I'm sorry the breeder woman lost her child, but the dead kid is HER problem, NOT the author's. She needs to figure out how to sort out her feelings without exploiting her co-workers, especially when the author's education hangs in the balance.

I can't get the MSN story to load, but given how the title twists the actual thread, I have a feeling it's a steaming pile of bullshit painting the author as some kind of a selfish child-hating monster.
Cambion
I don't think workplaces should allow people to donate their days off to other co-workers because it can lead to abusive behavior like this where people who are "less deserving" (translation: have no kids) of days off get harassed for not giving up their vacation time and people who feel they are "more deserving" (translation: mommies) can guilt trip their peers into giving up their time off. But I guarantee if the co-worker who loses their vacation time wants a favor or wants to pool some days off, suddenly the needy Moo employees just caaaaan't. Working with breeders is a one-way street - they want all the perks, all the benefits, all the leniency, all the special treatment, and all the exceptions to the rules, but nobody else deserves them because being a mommy is so haaaaard.

I worked at two places like this and it definitely was not a donation.
If you give parunts an inch they will take a mile and the vast majority of them feel 100% entitled that they deserve a sacrifice from a childless/childfree person because they are doing the world a favor raising brats. Of course when they wanted brats it was all about what they wanted and they didn't care if they couldn't afford the brats or had bad genetics.
Then they figured out it was harrdd. Some kept breeding even while complaining about their current brats.

And the vast majority would dump their brats in your lap regardless of your feelings toward brats if they knew they could get away with it, as they think they deserve a break. Parunts get a little power and they are going to abuse it, every time.
Once again, a company is trying to shift the onus on individuals, expecting that public pressure will make them "donate" their precious days off. All companies large enough to have a work shift on a Sunday can choose to give employees more days off, if they want. Fighting over the crumbs of Capitalism is a losing game and the ire should be directed at the company, if it is directed at anyone.

That said, I don't think that companies should be granting extra paid vacation days to one employee and not to others. Medical leave, I understand - nobody wants to suffer medical problems, and if a co-worker gets extra time off due to a serious illness I don't think I'm the one getting short-changed, provided it doesn't result in an increased workload for me. For vacation days, though, the distribution should be equal.

Those co-workers who are harassing the women deserve to have a serious talk with HR because they could end up putting the company in a position of being sued.

Furthermore, isn't it about fucking time that "news" outlets actually did something, instead of scraping Reddit and Twitter for content? It is not news that a woman refused to give up her PTO and other people thought she was in the right. Maybe some investigative journalism on how shitty companies treat their workers would be news, but "reporting" on viral posts that anyone who sorts by 'best' can already read is pathetically lazy. Maybe this "journalist" can donate their vacation days, since I don't see any real difference between spending their work day scrolling through social media and spending their vacation days doing the same.

Furthermore, isn't it about fucking time that "news" outlets actually did something, instead of scraping Reddit and Twitter for content? It is not news that a woman refused to give up her PTO and other people thought she was in the right. Maybe some investigative journalism on how shitty companies treat their workers would be news, but "reporting" on viral posts that anyone who sorts by 'best' can already read is pathetically lazy. Maybe this "journalist" can donate their vacation days, since I don't see any real difference between spending their work day scrolling through social media and spending their vacation days doing the same.

Isn't that the fucking truth? And I found it really unprofessional and distressing that Newsweek actually contacted the OP. She does not need to justify her position and she's being harassed enough already.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login