Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The amount of mom-related things that encourage drinking is astounding

Posted by Cambion 
I was poking around in the dollar store earlier this week and saw some little piece of decor with a wine glass graphic on it that said "I Wine Because My Kids Whine" and it's not hard to find similar items online or in other stores either.

I never realized how much mommy junk there is out there encouraging alcoholism. Glasses that say "Mommy Juice" or "Off-Duty Mom", pictures of wine glasses that say "Mommy Needs Her Sippy Cup" underneath, 6000 mL wine glasses that say "Parenting Takes a Vineyard" or "Mommy Fuel" and other various booze-related slogans.

So they're saying their kids drive them to drink. In what other aspect of life would drinking be encouraged as a coping mechanism? You never see things with slogans like "I Drink Because My Job Sucks" or "Abusive Boyfriend Tolerance Potion." These are toxic situations that you'd be encouraged to leave rather than cope with, but if it's drinking to deal with your kids, it's all, "Hell yeah! Solidarity guuuuurrrrrl!!!! Pour me another glass!" Probably because unlike a horrible job or a horrible partner, you can't actually leave horrible parenthood. So you self-medicate with substances.

Notice it's always stuff aimed at Moos too, never at fathers. Can you imagine the screeching that would happen if someone made a flask that said "Daddy Drinks Because Dadding Stinks!" or a beer helmet that said, "The Condom Broke, But Beer Helps?""

Just strikes me as strange that we've normalized Moos getting drunk because of their brats to the point of making decor to celebrate their alcohol consumption. I don't blame them because if I had to deal with a little screaming asshole every day, you can bet every cent you have I'd be so wasted 24/7 that I couldn't see straight. Is it not kinda disturbing that people make cutesy objects that equate breeding with booze? Or is it just me?
Not just you. There's definitely a culture of "you have to be drunk to tolerate your own children, amirite?" in the US. It's pathetic and sad.
kittehpeoples
Not just you. There's definitely a culture of "you have to be drunk to tolerate your own children, amirite?" in the US. It's pathetic and sad.

This will explode like an atom bomb in every city and suburb and trailer in the USA when Republicans ban abortion nationwide and forbid birth control.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Cambion
I never realized how much mommy junk there is out there encouraging alcoholism.

I never saw that either, but I've seen junk encouraging coffee to help them keep up with the kids.

Cambion
You never see things with slogans like "I Drink Because My Job Sucks" or "Abusive Boyfriend Tolerance Potion." These are toxic situations that you'd be encouraged to leave rather than cope with, but if it's drinking to deal with your kids, it's all, "Hell yeah! Solidarity guuuuurrrrrl!!!! Pour me another glass!" Probably because unlike a horrible job or a horrible partner, you can't actually leave horrible parenthood. So you self-medicate with substances.

The "I Drink Because My Job Sucks" trope is actually quite common. Many people deal with jobs they don't like so they can pay their living expenses or for the things they do like. Unlike parenthood, most people can't choose not to have a job in the first place.
misskitty
I never saw that either, but I've seen junk encouraging coffee to help them keep up with the kids.

I've seen the coffee-themed stuff too, but that could apply to anything - work, brats, plain old life. I'm a coffee drinker partly for medicinal purposes because I haven't learned yet that I won't get 8 hours of sleep if I go to bed 5 hours before my alarm goes off, so I have a soft spot for the coffee crap. But I see a lot more booze-themed stuff relating to parents than coffee, probably because you need something stronger than a shot of espresso to make yourself get up when you remember that you still have kids and they didn't get abducted by aliens yet.

misskitty
The "I Drink Because My Job Sucks" trope is actually quite common. Many people deal with jobs they don't like so they can pay their living expenses or for the things they do like. Unlike parenthood, most people can't choose not to have a job in the first place.

I guess I haven't seen a ton of anti-job things because the place most people would hang such things is probably at their desk, and I'm sure management would have a problem with it. Hands down the best thing I've seen in this regard is a roll of toilet paper onto which you can have someone's face printed, so if you want to wipe your ass with your boss' face, you can. You can always quit a bad job boss, but barring illegal or taboo actions, there is no way to quit parenthood once you're in it.
I've seen this mommy alcohol stuff for years. When I hung around mothers the minute their brats weren't around they wanted to drink, typically wine and whine.
A you-tuber on a totally unrelated topic brought up the dangers of "Mommy Wine Culture". It is just a cute suburban soccer mom type of way to legitimatize your drinking. I've seen my ILs do it for years now. I'm not sure I truly think they are alcoholics just yet but there is a LOT of socially acceptable drinking that goes on among them constantly. There were several bottles of wine opened just for Easter lunch. Me and My hubs definitely know how to party but sitting around drinking w/ my MIL and a buncha whiney hens is not my type of party, besides we have to drive home. But I guess we stand out like a sore thumb so much that divorced SIL's (sorta new) boyfriend goes "you guys don't drink!!!!!" like it is some big issue. I just joked, well not during the day! hahhaha, And hub just said, I'm a smoker, if I drink, I smoke and I can't really smoke in here so there's no point. , The fact that middle-aged adults are not drinking at 11am on Easter morning shouldn't be a problem but not with Mommie Wine Culture.

The thing is the ILs were good two-shoes while we were much younger while me and hub were the carousing troublemakers. Now there's endless girly family parties and 'after-parties' so these mommie types and sip their wine all day IRL or over FB together. I'm sure they feel legit and entitled to becuz they have kyyyyyds. The thinly veiled jokes about their kids driving to drink don't even feel shameful or ironic to them, bcuz this way of life is so socially acceptable. "It's Wine O'clock Somewhere" in suburbia allll the time.
Hmmmm..wonder how many alcoholics are parents compared to the child-free?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login