Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An interesting take on the state of education

Posted by cfdavep 
An interesting take on the state of education
June 18, 2022
On reddit collapse they are talking about the end of public education again. Someone pointed out what their grandmother faced in an inner city school. It is from the comments frm here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/collapse/comments/vf5n6o/the_american_education_system_is_imploding/

"Now let me blow your mind. My grandmother was an inner city teacher in NY's most violent and impoverished school district of the 1970s-1980s. They had a huge problem with students performing like crap, with parents/adult family who did not care. You never got people going to PTA nights, nobody would respond if you called or wrote home about their kids acting out or performing bad. It was just a black hole of apathy & indifference (and that was better than the parents that were actively against education).

The school district did some research and determined that most of these parents themselves had bad ghetto school experiences and had a bad outlook on school as a result. So they came up with an experiment: Hire the family.

For half of min wage, they'd hire these kids' adult relatives to "assist" in the classroom. Parents, aunts, grandparents, etc., to hand out papers, tell kids to quiet down when they got loud or out of line, etc.

It worked. Instantly improved academic performance 200% or more. The kids respected and related to people they knew from their own communities.

Then the GOP killed it. 1- they figured if these (usually welfare & EBT enrolled) poors could "work" in a classroom all day they should be forced to get a "real" job, and 2- they demanded that the only people who should be in the classroom be accredited (no college education? No certs? no access into the classroom during the day).

So TL;DR there are off the shelf already researched solutions. We're not allowed to use them"

Interesting how they turned an inner city school around, by paying crap parents to assist. The kids improved academically hugely and the parents got paid. According to the poster the GOP cut the program, because if the parent could do that then they could get "real" jobs. So the program was gone. I admired them for trying, but you can't win for trying with the GOP.
Re: An interesting take on the state of education
June 18, 2022
The GOP is actively working with Putin to destabilize, with few exceptions, the USA. They will get rid of popular, effective programs and take away people's rights to leave us in a Mad Max scenario without hope. While it is more obvious today, I've been aware of this situation since the early 80s.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 18, 2022
cfdavep
Interesting how they turned an inner city school around, by paying crap parents to assist. The kids improved academically hugely and the parents got paid. According to the poster the GOP cut the program, because if the parent could do that then they could get "real" jobs. So the program was gone. I admired them for trying, but you can't win for trying with the GOP.

Time and again we've seen proof that if you throw a little money at poverty, it pays outsized dividends. But we can't have that, can we?
June 19, 2022
I also think the fucking teachers unions had a hand as well. My mom did get teacher accreditation but she called the classes she had to take useless mickey mouse shit. but not having gone through it (no desire) I can't really make an assessment.

The unions are obstructionists when it comes to getting rid of crap teachers. they will defend to the death pedophile teachers, no show teachers, etc. and having welfare parents achieve working in a classroom to help? well the unions can't have that and that is where the gop and other polytick shits came in. I tell you the unions are behind most of it. they have to have 200,000/year idiots running herd on these kids. but this puts budgets out of everyones reach. I hate unions, they are useless pocket picking greedy power hungry bastards with no real concern for their victims/members.

Yes, the gop did this but the union fingerprints are all over it.

I have often thought that welfare recipients should go on busses, in classes just to ride shotgun on their darlings. I had not considered (but not surprised) unions would oppose it.

as a side note, these unions run commercials on occasion on the local radio station. they ALL SOUND THE FUCKEN HELL ALIKE.

some teacher members of the union in one of the west coast unions managed to get a bill to gain control over where their union dues went because they did not like where their politicized leaders spent it. these motherfucking bastard leaders managed to snooker bloody geezer citizens that their social security would be taken away ..it was a bald self evident lie but the oldsters bought it hook, line, and sinker

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
June 22, 2022
Assisting the classroom is listed as a "real" job today and the pay would be low enough to stay on EBT/welfare (about 20k/year). Unfortunately, even that is too much for the districts to pay for each class because they'd have to reduce the salaries for the cushy jobs in the admin buildings.
June 23, 2022
I know the polyshits put an end to it but this has unions fingerprints all over it.

Many many years ago, some billionaire in Texas, I forget which city, offered vouchers to poor parents to send their children to whatever school they wanted. The only people to bitch about it? fucking teacher unions. braying and braying and bleating about the moooneey they would be out. all came down to money.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
June 23, 2022
Don't underestimate how much teacher's unions might have been involved. By the same principle, union maintenance workers in public schools filed complaints and grievances to stop parents and other volunteers from working to clean and repair the buildings—that is, to do the things those maintenance workers were supposed to do, but weren't bothering to. This happened in Washington, D.C., and some other big cities. Ask me about do-nothing government maintenance people sometime.
June 24, 2022

some teacher members of the union in one of the west coast unions managed to get a bill to gain control over where their union dues went because they did not like where their politicized leaders spent it.

Sounds reasonable to me, that the Union would be able to spend its dues in service of its members, and not a political agenda.

Some unions are useless or corrupt. Some take their members money and don't do anything for the members. Some become affiliated with the mob, like the Teamsters. But to say Unions are categorically worthless is to forget history. I live near coal country and all one has to do is look at the mines and the Company stores to know why unions serve a purpose. If exploitation did not exist, Unions wouldn't have to exist.

Public servants should have some job protection based on merit, not based on doing what politicians want. If you have people awarding contracts, for example, they need job protection from being pressured to award contracts to a politician's firm or friends. As taxpayers, we should all be interested in protections like this so our money is spent wisely.

We see this now with Skool boards wanting to ram their (usually religious) teaching agendas on public schools. Parents who want religion in schools have a choice, and that's to send their kids to private schools. Keep religion out of public school.
June 24, 2022
they can send their kids to religious schools but the polyticks still tax them for the public screw y'alls

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login