Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Friend demanding new washer and dryer after discovering diapers

Posted by freya 
Friend demanding new washer and dryer after discovering diapers
July 29, 2022
Friend rents out her place to a sorority sister who washes/dries cloth diapers with the appliances. Friend finds out and demands the appliances be replaced. Apparently her older calledge-aged dotter came over to do laundry and discovered diapers with stains in the dryer. And seriously cloth diaper friend, ever heard of bleach?

Friend is a germaphobe and the renter knew this. Is her reaction warranted?

I read online the proper way to clean diapers is to immediately clean them to get ride of any "debris" but what is the guarantee this will be done? While I applaud the cloth diaper trend, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if many skip this step and tempt their water pipes to back up. I don't know if there is a way for waste to drain from the wash machine or not. And even if the diapers were cleaned well, what about all the other gross body fluids that are sure to result in dirty laundry or fluids all over the house?

I have to question why a germaphobe would let a moo with two twin toadlers rent her house in the first place as that seems ridiculous. Doesn't she realize the entire house could be soiled in human waste that was sloppily wiped up by the renters? Or maybe she thought a diaper service would be used? Guess she should have asked about this prior to agreeing to rent her place out.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2022/07/cloth-diapers-washer-dear-prudence-advice.html?utm_source=pocket_discover
Re: Friend demanding new washer and dryer after discovering diapers
July 30, 2022
darned if we do, darned if we don't...

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
July 30, 2022
Single moos can sue if they have evidence that they were turned down for a rental due to moo status. Anyone who rents to anyone has to find ways around things like that like poor credit.
July 30, 2022
I don't like to be on the same side as the breeder, but I think the landlord is being unrealistic.

Any washing machine will have seen its share of bodily fluids, because while adults tend to be better at not doing that on a regular basis, even a household without children will have some incidents, such as a sudden attack of food poisoning that doesn't give the person time to run to the bathroom, to menstrual blood leaking through a pad, or the cat coughing up a hairball on a pillow. If you have a phobia to the point that you think that a washing machine becomes contaminated instead of cleaning what goes inside it when washed appropriately (stains are not the same thing as contagion), you really need to have your own appliances and never let anyone else touch them. It is unreasonable to expect that a renter won't use appliances for the purpose for which they are intended. This doesn't constitute damaging the property, unlike, for example, piss in the carpets or grubby little handprints on the walls.

I personally do not like the thought of some random person using my stuff: sleeping in my bed, sitting in my office chair, etc. (I worry more about those things which can't be cleaned). Because I feel that way, if I had to live somewhere else for, say, 6 months, and I could financially afford it, I would not find a letter/tenant/housesitter but instead pay a friend to just check in every week or so to make sure it was all okay. If I couldn't afford it, I'd put anything precious to me in storage and then I'd scrub the hell out of the place when I got back - just like I do whenever I move into a new place - because you absolutely cannot trust other people's hygiene. But unless an appliance were contaminated with mold or mildew, I'd consider it fit for purpose after cleaning. Who has the money to buy a new fridge because someone may have let a cucumber rot in a drawer once, or a washer because someone may have put their post-coital sheets in it?
Count me in with "I hate to side with the toddler-haver, but....".

There's bodily fluids constantly coming out of normal adult humans. We sweat up to a quart a day, and that's just the regular functional sweat, not counting workouts, hot days, pitting out if you're nervous, etc. People leave skin oils on literally everything they touch. There's water droplets, germs, etc in our regular breath regardless of whether we're sick. And as yurble pointed out, that's not even counting accidents and illness. Washers are made to handle bodily fluids.

I suppose it's possible that the toddler-owner wasn't rinsing out cloth diapers properly (I think Ma Random used the toilet for this back when the earth was cooling and my sibs and I needed diapers) prior to washing, in which case yeah the washer would show contamination and then the property owner could take it up with the tenant.

Personally I'd find a way to avoid renting to someone with a toddler, because they're damaging in other ways that don't involve laundering cloth diapers. We've all seen the photos making the rounds on the net. You can't be obvious about it, but there are ways to avoid having those on your property.
August 01, 2022
This is exactly why the thought of going to a laundromat turns my stomach. I need to wash a couple comforters and larger items that won’t fit in my washer, but I do not want to go to a laundromat! I suppose I could run a cycle with only bleach added to the water before I wash my stuff…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
August 01, 2022
I remember my mother dunking my sister's cloth diapers in the toilet before tossing into the pail for washing later. That and lots of Borax are about all I remember from that time. After she grew out of them, we used the cloth diapers as cleaning cloths till they disintegrated about 30 years later. They were perfect for it because they were soft and absorbent.

Oh, and she kept the washer for about 40 years too.
August 01, 2022
I share a washer/dryer with three roommates who are child free. I wash my clothes in Tide and hot water so I have no fears of catching cooties.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
August 08, 2022
randomcfchick
Personally I'd find a way to avoid renting to someone with a toddler, because they're damaging in other ways that don't involve laundering cloth diapers. We've all seen the photos making the rounds on the net. You can't be obvious about it, but there are ways to avoid having those on your property.

Exactly. If the friend is a germaphobe, she absolutely should not have rented to someone with twin toddlers. Dirty diapers in the washing machine will be the least of her worries. Even if the parents are on top of what their kids are doing at all times, there will be inevitable events such as diaper blowouts on the furniture and sticky, drool encrusted hands touching every surface of the house. At least the washer can be zapped with bleach.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
August 28, 2022
LoveToLurk
randomcfchick

Exactly. If the friend is a germaphobe, she absolutely should not have rented to someone with twin toddlers. Dirty diapers in the washing machine will be the least of her worries. Even if the parents are on top of what their kids are doing at all times, there will be inevitable events such as diaper blowouts on the furniture and sticky, drool encrusted hands touching every surface of the house. At least the washer can be zapped with bleach.

I always wonder about places that are rented furnished or partially furnished for just that reason. Surfaces and laundry devices can be Cloroxed. But couches, chairs, and other porous surfaces....EEEEWWWW.
August 29, 2022
way way back when these biddies on top floors of no running water tenements would just put the diapers out to dry. no rinse or anything.. lugging all that water.. humans sure worship living like sardines in piss and shit holes just because they have to worship their gonads. granted in those days there was almost no control over it..

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login