Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teen rheumatoid arthritis patient denied medication because it causes miscarriage

Posted by Cambion 
She did eventually get her prescribed medication, but not without delays and hoop jumping. Because who cares that this poor girl's lifespan and quality of life would be diminished without the medication she's been taking for years, as long as she can't end a possible pregnancy with her horrible drugs! eye rolling smiley

Note: she was able to get this medication just fine up until she turned 14, which is considered childbearing age. Because, you know, teen female = definitely pregnant or going to get pregnant, right? Also, girls younger than 14 can definitely get pregnant. Did anyone see the case of the 10-year-old girl who had to go to another state to abort when she learned she was pregnant after a sexual assault? Why is 14 the magic number?

I wonder if you could claim to identify as a male to get around this shit. I don't want to poke fun at anyone's sexuality - chosen or otherwise - but would a hospital or a pharmacy have to respect your chosen gender and give you your fucking prescription that your doctor wrote for you if you came in clearly a woman/girl/female human and said you identified as male?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/10/05/abortion-arizona-arthritis-prescription-refill/

For years, Deborah Power, a rheumatologist in Tucson, had prescribed methotrexate to manage her 14-year-old patient’s rheumatoid arthritis. But just two days after the state’s abortion ban took effect last month, a pharmacy denied the teen’s refill.

The reason: In a higher dosage, methotrexate — a drug used to treat some cancers, arthritis and a slew of autoimmune diseases — can also induce abortions and terminate ectopic pregnancies, though that’s not its most common use, Power told The Washington Post.

Emma Thompson was ultimately able to get her prescription filled, but the delay highlights the medical complications some patients are facing in states with strict abortion rules. Even if the medications are not prescribed to end a pregnancy, the reversal in June of Roe v. Wade has thrown pharmacists, patients and physicians into a “constant juggling act,” Power said, balancing medical care with changing policies and potential legal consequences.

“I don’t think everyone understands what the ramifications of such a broad, sweeping antiabortion law are and how many other women are affected by this,” she added. “Like how can we decide that women can’t have this medicine that men can? That’s discriminating on gender. And how can you make a law that doesn’t allow me to provide standard of care for my patients?”

Throughout Emma’s life, rheumatoid arthritis — an inflammatory disorder that causes the body’s immune system to attack healthy tissue in the joints — had resulted in prolonged hospital stays, clinical trials and simply “too much pain to have a normal life,” said her mother, Kaitlin Preble. For 10 years, her daughter’s physicians had experimented with different doses of methotrexate, finally landing about a year ago on just the right amount that allows Emma to thrive, attend school and “simply be a normal teenager,” Preble said.

All of that seemed to be at risk on Sept. 25, when Preble checked her Walgreens app to see whether Emma’s prescriptions were ready. Instead of a green light indicating they could be picked up, a message popped up saying her methotrexate refill had been denied.

“It didn’t even give the reason why,” Preble said. “It just said that I had to call my doctor.”

Still, Preble said she had an inkling that the state’s new abortion ban — one that dates back to the 19th century and prohibits the procedure, except to save the pregnant person’s life — had something to do with it. Her suspicions were confirmed the next day, when Preble drove to the pharmacy “and made a big deal inside,” she said.

At first, no one would explain why her daughter wasn’t able to get a medication that’s “crucial to her health,” Preble said. Then, she urged a pharmacy technician to get some answers.

“The pharmacist said she denied it because Emma is 14 years old,” which is considered a childbearing age, Preble said. “The pharmacy tech then asked, ‘Well, did you look at her history? She’s been getting this medication for a long time,’ and the pharmacist said, ‘No,’ which I think was very crucial.”

Through it all, Preble was shaking and in tears: “I understand that pharmacists are scared because they don’t want to be liable to anything. But it’s extremely unfair to put a child through this unpredictable situation. And we shouldn’t have to jump through all these hoops to get a medication.”

In a statement to The Post, a spokesperson for Walgreens said that, while the company couldn’t discuss individual patients, “new laws in various states require additional steps for dispensing certain prescriptions and apply to all pharmacies, including Walgreens.”

“In these states, our pharmacists work closely with prescribers as needed, to fill lawful, clinically appropriate prescriptions,” the spokesperson said. “We provide ongoing training and information to help our pharmacists understand the latest requirements in their area.”

Patients across the country face similar situations as more drugs are scrutinized. Many of the medications are teratogens, or drugs that can result in fetal abnormalities and miscarriages if taken by someone who is pregnant. In some cases, women have to prove they’re on birth control or submit pregnancy tests for pharmacies to fulfill prescriptions for drugs that can terminate pregnancies, The Post previously reported.

When it comes to methotrexate — which is used or has been used by nearly 60 percent of rheumatoid arthritis patients — medical groups have already said there are increasing challenges in accessing the drug. In Texas, for example, pharmacists are allowed to refuse to fill prescriptions for misoprostol and methotrexate under the state’s “heartbeat bill.” The American College of Rheumatology in July urged pharmacists across the nation to provide the medication “without delay and with the assumption that they are not being used to terminate a pregnancy.”

“Methotrexate must remain accessible to people with rheumatic diseases, and legal safeguards must protect rheumatology professionals, pharmacists, and patients from potential legal penalties,” the medical group said in a statement.

The new laws have also affected patients with other conditions, such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. In August, the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation said it “vehemently opposes” policies that inhibit patients’ access to approved treatments.

“The decision on what the most appropriate therapy for their illness is should be made as a shared decision between a patient and their healthcare professional, following medical evidence,” the organization wrote in a statement.

Although her daughter’s next refill isn’t scheduled for another month, Preble said she is already dreading the possibility of another denial.

“These laws are just too extreme and don’t take into account all the different scenarios that people are going through,” she said.
all of this is caused primarily by men.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
I agree, you rarely see women in positions of government authority doing this kind of shit. It always seems to be people with penises who have the loudest opinions on what women can and cannot do with their own bodies. I don't want to sound like a "modern" feminist who hates on men just because they're men, but I really don't think male lawmakers should get any say in any laws and regulations that are gender-specific. Men should deal with men's rights and women should deal with women's rights. If they dont have enough lady representatives to make a committee and make these decisions, then they could bring medical professionals on board who will make science-based logical decisions and not bullshit paranoid religious ones.

There are grown-ass men who don't know how women's bodies even work, as evidenced by the brain trusts who insist that ectopic pregnancies can be transplanted into the uterus from the fallopian tubes. If you don't know how shit works, you shouldn't be allowed to make legal decisions about shit on behalf of others.
Cambion
I wonder if you could claim to identify as a male to get around this shit.

Definitely not. Laws to limit the bodily autonomy of trans people are as prevalent as those intended to restrict cis women.
Cambion
There are grown-ass men who don't know how women's bodies even work, as evidenced by the brain trusts who insist that ectopic pregnancies can be transplanted into the uterus from the fallopian tubes. If you don't know how shit works, you shouldn't be allowed to make legal decisions about shit on behalf of others.

To say nothing of those who claim that abortion should be "allowed" but restricted to the first 6 weeks of pregnancy. They seem unaware that the pregnancies are dated from the woman's last period because it is a reliable date. So a woman has her period, ovulates, and then potentially has sex, and then the egg implants - by which time she's already considered pregnant for 3 weeks. Even with a regular cycle, there can be some variability, so most women will wait until they are 1 week late before doing a pregnancy test. By this point they will be considered at least 4 weeks pregnant. Often, there won't be enough hormones at that point for the pregnancy to register on the test, but even assuming it does, women are supposed to be able to get an appointment for an abortion in 1-2 weeks, also in places where there are these ridiculous laws requiring waiting between confirming the pregnancy and getting the abortion. Anyone who thinks that a ban at 6 weeks doesn't amount to a near total abortion ban has no fucking clue about biology or medicine.
Cambion

I wonder if you could claim to identify as a male to get around this shit. I don't want to poke fun at anyone's sexuality - chosen or otherwise - but would a hospital or a pharmacy have to respect your chosen gender and give you your fucking prescription that your doctor wrote for you if you came in clearly a woman/girl/female human and said you identified as male?

No, they will deny your medication if you IDENTIFY as male but aren't male on your birth certificate. If for ANY reason, the pill counters suspect you can have a uterus, you will be denied any drug that can cause issue with a fetus, even if you don't have the equipment to produce a fetus.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login