Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's about time... I hope this type of legislation spreads

Posted by twocents 
It's about time... I hope this type of legislation spreads
December 25, 2022
https://newhampshirebulletin.com/briefs/lawmaker-aims-to-address-hysterectomy-hurdles/

After other medical procedures had failed to stop Rep. Ellen Read’s years of heavy menstrual bleeding she asked an obstetrician to do a hysterectomy. The doctor declined. Several others did too, all for the same reason: Read was in her late 20s and they doubted her long-held decision not to have children.

Read, a Newmarket Democrat, finally had the surgery in 2018 at age 38. She’s preparing a bill to protect other women from the same experience. Under her bill, if a patient has given informed consent, a doctor would be required to perform the sterilization procedure or refer a patient to a doctor who would.

She said a doctor’s speculation about a patient’s future reproductive health decisions should not overrule a medically advised procedure. “I would love to shift the culture to normalize making your own decision about your future,” she said.

Read would have filed the bill in a prior session, she said, but only recently learned that many women have had similar experiences. Most often a hysterectomy is not performed until after a patient has turned 35.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Re: It's about time... I hope this type of legislation spreads
December 25, 2022
About time that reproductive freedom starts to include the right to never have children.
December 25, 2022
Oh, but there is a problem with why this might not go through.

I believe Proctor and Gamble manufactures Tampax in or near New Hampshire. Think of all the products for women Ellen Read had to buy for years and how much these companies made off of her. Stop women from having periods? Some of these factories might have to shut down, think of the Job Loss! (no emoji for Look of Shock!).

Right now and into the new year it is likely P&G, and K-C and the Board of Obstetrics (because a lot of those doctors bought new cars and need you to have babies to pay for them) are lobbying the state and the governor to not let this bill go through.
December 26, 2022
yurble
About time that reproductive freedom starts to include the right to never have children.

Fucking amen.
December 26, 2022
I had to wait until I was 44 for similar reasons. By that time the endometriosis had damaged my pelvic floor and I have mesh inside me thanks to that.

I did notice my state removed the 30 day waiting period for people without children prior to sterilization after the legislature changed to Democrats.

Vote blue if you care about healthcare and reproductive rights.
December 26, 2022
I hope this catches on in more states, especially with Roe v. Wade being so terribly limited in the US now. If you're going to take away abortion, make it easier for women to get hysterectomies. But I hope this law won't only apply to women who have medically necessary reasons for wanting/needing hysterectomies because it'll still suck if women who want elective removal of healthy uteruses get refused because "you might want a babby!!1"

I also notice that there is nothing saying a doctor has to perform the procedure correctly. Because you know as well as I do there will be OB/GYNs who scoff at the idea of removing the organ that makes them so much money. They might botch the procedure on purpose so they make money, but the woman can possibly come back to make them more money - either in the form of pregnancy, continuing menstrual disorders, or repeating the hysterectomy. I'm sure there's a way they could get away with it so they couldn't be sued for malpractice, like claiming ethical/religious/moral conflicts like pharmacists do to refuse women birth control and RU-486.

Also, how easy could it be for a doctor to claim they don't know any other providers who would perform the procedure as a reason to refuse a woman treatment as well as refuse to allow her to divert her business elsewhere? Would they be legally required to compile a list of willing providers and keep them handy? What if a doctor feels a woman is not informed enough about the procedure and refuses her on that basis, but also refuses to provide proper information so she can give informed consent?

What if insurance refuses to cover a hysterectomy, even for medically legitimate reasons? There would probably have to be insurance reform to ensure the procedure will be covered because most people probably cannot afford a hysterectomy out of pocket.

I'm just thinking about loopholes that I'm sure would be exploited by parties whom are against this bill being put into effect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login