Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steel Magnolias, Anniversary Edition

Posted by bell_flower 
Steel Magnolias, Anniversary Edition
June 03, 2023
This insipid film is making the rounds on cable. It came on the other night and I was hate-watching.

For those of you who don't know the story, it goes like this: brittle diabetic female idiot (aka Shelby) with sparse kidney function is told by her doctors not to have children. Idiot goes on to get married to rich lawyer who is a louse* (more on that in a moment) gets knocked up immediately and loafs the Almighty Holy Son for said louse. Her kidneys predictably fail; she gets a kidney from her long-suffering, disapproving mother (aka M'lynne), and promptly dies when the kid is about two years old.

It is based on a real life story of a womban named Sus@n H@rling, who was a nurse in real life and her spouse was a doctor. So both of these idiots knew better. A choice quote, when she is arguing with her mother, is: "I'd rather have 30 minutes of nothing than a lifetime of nothing special." Because we know women who choose not to become broodmares are "nothing special."

When M'Lynne also questions the Idiot about adopting, the Idiot states "no judge is going to give me a chyyyld with my medical record." And she's knocked up less than six months after she's married, which makes you think they did not pursue the adoption route very hard.
The Idiot also insists, "I want a chyyyyld of my ooooooooooooown." Just like any Breeder would.

The movie is supposed to be about "womben" and "bonding through tragedy," putting up with worthless men. (M'Lynne appears to have a dismal marriage to a Good Old Boy.) I did like Shirley McClain's character however.

The movie also seems to indicate the husband is cheating immediately after the marriage because the Idiot also tells her mother having a baybee would "help things along." In real life, the family has never addressed this, but IRL the Dud also remarried THREE MONTHS after the Idiot's death, so I guess we can all draw our own conclusions about that.

The movie was first a play and it was written by her brother, who saw this play out first hand and was reportedly upset about the husband's fast remarriage.

So apparently the movie just passed its 30 year anniversary in 2019, and there were a few articles that were also trite and brain dead and missed the point, because as you know one cannot criticize a holy sainted Moo or anyone who chooses to reproduce when they should not.
Here's a sample from the Atlantic, written by a Moo of a type one diabetic, who wants to make it all about her and misses the point.

But those revisiting Steel Magnolias this year might consider how it fits into a long history of movies with patronizing, outdated, and sometimes eugenicist implications about who should and shouldn’t have children.

Misses the point entirely and throws in the "e" word to get attention. Was it the Idiot's right to have a child? I guess it was, but that does not mean it's morally right. IMO, it's not 'eugenics' to question whether it's in the best interest of the child for a parent like this to have him/her. Isn't the whole point of having children to see them grow up?

What do you call someone who has a kid when they likely won't see that kid grow up? There is a word for that, and that word is "selfish."
Re: Steel Magnolias, Anniversary Edition
June 04, 2023
bell_flower
This insipid film is making the rounds on cable. It came on the other night and I was hate-watching.

For those of you who don't know the story, it goes like this: brittle diabetic female idiot (aka Shelby) with sparse kidney function is told by her doctors not to have children. Idiot goes on to get married to rich lawyer who is a louse* (more on that in a moment) gets knocked up immediately and loafs the Almighty Holy Son for said louse. Her kidneys predictably fail; she gets a kidney from her long-suffering, disapproving mother (aka M'lynne), and promptly dies when the kid is about two years old.

It is based on a real life story of a womban named Sus@n H@rling, who was a nurse in real life and her spouse was a doctor. So both of these idiots knew better. A choice quote, when she is arguing with her mother, is: "I'd rather have 30 minutes of wonderful (edited) than a lifetime of nothing special." Because we know women who choose not to become broodmares are "nothing special."

When M'Lynne also questions the Idiot about adopting, the Idiot states "no judge is going to give me a chyyyld with my medical record." And she's knocked up less than six months after she's married, which makes you think they did not pursue the adoption route very hard.
The Idiot also insists, "I want a chyyyyld of my ooooooooooooown." Just like any Breeder would.

The movie is supposed to be about "womben" and "bonding through tragedy," putting up with worthless men. (M'Lynne appears to have a dismal marriage to a Good Old Boy.) I did like Shirley McClain's character however.

The movie also seems to indicate the husband is cheating immediately after the marriage because the Idiot also tells her mother having a baybee would "help things along." In real life, the family has never addressed this, but IRL the Dud also remarried THREE MONTHS after the Idiot's death, so I guess we can all draw our own conclusions about that.

The movie was first a play and it was written by her brother, who saw this play out first hand and was reportedly upset about the husband's fast remarriage.

So apparently the movie just passed its 30 year anniversary in 2019, and there were a few articles that were also trite and brain dead and missed the point, because as you know one cannot criticize a holy sainted Moo or anyone who chooses to reproduce when they should not.
Here's a sample from the Atlantic, written by a Moo of a type one diabetic, who wants to make it all about her and misses the point.

But those revisiting Steel Magnolias this year might consider how it fits into a long history of movies with patronizing, outdated, and sometimes eugenicist implications about who should and shouldn’t have children.

Misses the point entirely and throws in the "e" word to get attention. Was it the Idiot's right to have a child? I guess it was, but that does not mean it's morally right. IMO, it's not 'eugenics' to question whether it's in the best interest of the child for a parent like this to have him/her. Isn't the whole point of having children to see them grow up?

What do you call someone who has a kid when they likely won't see that kid grow up? There is a word for that, and that word is "selfish."

Thanks for the synopsis, bell_flower. Of course I heard about the movie, who hasn't? But I didn't know what the plot was. I won't waste time watching it now, becuase it's another one of those boring, insipid, breeder pleaser movies.

I will pass, thank you very much.
June 04, 2023
I had also heard the name plenty of times, but didn't know the plot. I don't feel any sympathy when people are explicitly told not to reproduce for whatever reason and go and do it anyway because they'd rather have happy fee-fees for a little bit than stay childless for their whole lives. The one I pity is the child born to such people who might wind up losing a parent to childbirth-related complications and most likely resentment from the surviving father because the child is the reason the mother died, even though it was the mother's decision to breed.

What I hate is that Moos who do this shit and breed when they know they could die from it are hailed as heroes because they gave their lives so their child could have life. No, these women are not heroes. They are selfish cunts for breeding in the face of death and leaving their child or children without a mother.

When M'Lynne also questions the Idiot about adopting, the Idiot states "no judge is going to give me a chyyyld with my medical record."

If they would be unfit to buy an existing child, what makes them think they would be fit to raise a child they birth themselves?

I wish there was a way to have a professional evaluate people as potential parents and if they are deemed unfit physically, mentally, or financially to raise a human being, they would be prevented from reproducing with birth control they couldn't fuck with or remove on their own - vasectomies and tubals. They can apply for re-evaluation every year and if they pass the evaluation, the birth control would not be removed, but they could have fully paid for treatments to conceive a child like artificial insemination. Then they have to get re-evaluated for every subsequent child they want to have to ensure they can handle more kids. I can dream.
June 05, 2023
I hate that stupid movie.
June 05, 2023
This was one of my mother's favorite films. I've not seen it since her death.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 06, 2023
OMG IDK this about this movie, I'm soooooo glad I never looked into it, I will stay far far far away.
June 06, 2023
Well, it's definitely not a movie about botany.
June 09, 2023
hmmm mr neptune... so if we prune a plant we give it a lob-botany???

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
June 09, 2023
Plant "brains" are underground.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 09, 2023
Sounds like one of those awful Lifetime movies that some women like.

Meanwhile, that bad Lifetime movie where they grow a baby in an overgrown Lava Lamp? I've never seen that one again.

"I'd rather have 30 minutes of nothing than a lifetime of nothing special." I cannot think of a more nonsensical line than that one. Who writes this drivel? And what actor would be willing to say it?
June 10, 2023
mr. neptune

"I'd rather have 30 minutes of nothing than a lifetime of nothing special." I cannot think of a more nonsensical line than that one. Who writes this drivel? And what actor would be willing to say it?

Actors who are trying to keep their apartment with rent rising three times a year and who doesn't want to go on the "ho stroll" will say whatever lines they're paid to. They'll do it until their big 'break'.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 10, 2023
There are vids on youtube of people putting Lava Lamps in microwaves, so not recommended smiling smiley
June 11, 2023
It would have made more sense as "30 minutes of special than a lifetime of nothing special" unless you're trying to compare 30 minutes of nothing much with a lifetime of nothing much (and yeah, I'd rather endure less time as well).
June 11, 2023
Thanks yurble et al. I went back and corrected it.

It should have read "I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

trout slap

If you read the IRHC page on Fb, it seems like the opposite, really. Many people have children and if these Moos can be believed, a lot of them think it's drudgery and nothing special, once they have been hoodwinked into having one or more.
June 11, 2023
Every female I knew who droned on and on about how sad this was ended up breeding. I thought it was repugnant, like so many pro-breeder films are. Part of that could be contributed to us being teenagers at the time, but adult women also acted like that.

I also thought it was very ironic the brat worshipping in this film, as pretty much all the mahms I'd been around in real life were desperate to spend time away from their brats.

Some (definitely not all) actors have dared to comment on how stupid the scripts are in Hollywood. They're painted as difficult and start losing out on roles, especially females. If they want to appeal to the masses they have to appeal to stupidity and are not able to make anyone feel uncomfortable, because most movies/shows aren't produced to make people think, they are produced to make people consume and breed. Just like the movie "They Live" illustrates. And I heard about "Steel Magnolias" left and right, advertising was rampant. "They Live"? Didn't hear of it or see it until around 2009.

A friend of mine worked as a camera operator, he was completely fed up with shooting any show/movie that had the tires squealing. Apparently, for many people on set tires squealing has about the same appeal as Christmas music played on loop at work three weeks after Thanksgiving.
June 11, 2023
bell_flower
Thanks yurble et al. I went back and corrected it.

It should have read "I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

To be fair, I'd rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of being a mother.
June 15, 2023
mr. neptune
Sounds like one of those awful Lifetime movies that some women like.

Meanwhile, that bad Lifetime movie where they grow a baby in an overgrown Lava Lamp? I've never seen that one again.

I thought the Lifetime movies were purposely over the top so that those watching would enjoy the comic idea of a delusional womban thinking anyone would want to steal her brat. That is my perspective on them. They're campy and hilarious. Looks like some people actually take them seriously and truly think other people want to commit criminal acts and risk jail time to steal their crying, shitting, puking baybeez.sign 'I'm with stupid'

I'd love to see the Lava Lamp baybee, sounds like a cult classic in the making!

The Steel Magnolias plotline doesn't have the same campy appeal, but some of the characters are hilarious.
June 16, 2023
it was back in the early 80s and we found out it was called "Tomorrow's Child". Stephanie Zimbalist was the main actress character in the movie who said "What?! Grow a baby in a jar!?

There is a thread in here somewhere about that movie. I have never seen it again. The reason I remember is because my dad was watching the movie and he got upset because he was devout Catholic. Turns out the Pope believes only actual women should grow babies.

Lifetime movies are kind of like those "products for women" commercials where all the women are so happy when they talk about the product. Let me guess, are women Really that happy about them?

Oh, and the movie in this thread, what does an (artificial) flower made of metal have anything to do with it?
June 17, 2023
Quote from the screenwriter: It's a representation of boldness and tenderness that is fitting for every Southern woman.
June 18, 2023
mr. neptune
it was back in the early 80s and we found out it was called "Tomorrow's Child". Stephanie Zimbalist was the main actress character in the movie who said "What?! Grow a baby in a jar!?

There is a thread in here somewhere about that movie. I have never seen it again. The reason I remember is because my dad was watching the movie and he got upset because he was devout Catholic. Turns out the Pope believes only actual women should grow babies.

I haven't found it yet but I'll keep trying. Sounds like one worth seeing! And apparently was controversial when it came out, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login