Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For Better or For Worse

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
For Better or For Worse
August 17, 2005
I hate that comic, too. I gave up reading a long time ago. She's turning everyone into breeders! And I just went to visit the official site to see this new storyline. Ug, even in the description of Anthony's wife, Lynn describes her as a shrew and even draws her to make her look ugly. Of course, if Therese had refused to give Anthony a baby, she'd still be a shrew.

Ug. I can just see they are headed to Anthony getting divorced and making Liz be step-mother to his little brat. No, I don't feel sorry for Anthony, either. Maybe he should have used a condom instead of being just like breeder men in real life -- whining about their wives and kids all the time.

Meanwhile, Anthony looks MUCH older than Liz, even though I know they are supposed to be the same age. He looks middle aged. Can't Lynn draw a guy in his 20s?!
Anonymous User
Re: For Better or For Worse
August 18, 2005
Yeah - except that Anthony wanted the kid - Therese didn't. The latest strip has Anthony confessing undying love for Liz. UGH. AND blaming it all on evil Therese's evil career too. How dare women have babeez and careers and leave their poor men to do bratcare?

I'm really pleased for Therese - more power to her.

However my guess is that this script won't work. I bet she loses her job or is injured or something and has to beg Anthony for forgiveness and then settles down to be a good little wife who does what she is told and shows full and proper devotion to her master.

anoon
August 18, 2005
Someone clue me in. Who is anthony and therese? I stopped reading that comic way back in the late 80s to early 90s. I have caught a few things from weightless dog a couple years back. I know that the dog died and they got another one, Michael married and sprogged, Elisabeth is all grown up (I remember when she was just a baybee). And that is all I know.

Anything else important that I have missed? Is Grandpa still alive? Grandma died right?
Anonymous User
August 18, 2005
I don't read it regularily enough to answer all your questions. But Anthony was Liz's high school sweetheart. They broke up after high school and they stayed friends. She went away to college and is now a teacher. Now his marriage is falling apart and he wants Liz to "wait for him" until his divorce is final.

I don't see it as romantic, which is what I guess the author (Lynn) wants everyone to think. Aww, a sweet love story where he's been pining after Liz all these years. Ug. What I think is that he's a total Duh who knows he'll probably get stuck with the kid, and in typical duhs fashion, he needs a new wifey lined up to do all the childcare and housework. It makes my stomach turn.
anoon
August 18, 2005
UGh is right.

VLM
August 18, 2005
Anonymous User
August 18, 2005
Grandpa is still alive, and he has remarried.

Ellie and John had another kid, April, who is now about to begin High School.

There have been some good storylines but for the most part the strip is getting very breederiffic.

Examples:

Liz hooks up with a guy who uses and abuses her sexually - and ends up cheating on her. I think his name was Eric. Eric was portrayed as totally evil and as evidence of this he didn't want kids. There is another man, a chopper pilot, who Liz also likes ... as evidence of his goodness he carried around pictures of his nieces and nephews in his wallet.

Deanna effectively oopses Michael - and everyone assures them they will just 'cope' even though they have very little money at the time.

Michael and Deanna and their TWO children live above a couple who complain about their noise and the kindercrap in the building. This couple are stereotyped as evil childhatters and are drawn to look quite repulsive. Even though the kids are clearly noisy Michael and Dee are portrayed as the 'victims'. Oh - and the reason they live there is that they can't afford anywhere else - Lovie the landlady is sympathetic because she is a complete breederbrain. Not like anyone would suggest NOT having another kid until they could afford it.

And the latest storyline that has Therese as 'evil' because she wants a career and is not interested in the baby that Anthony wanted her to bear. Anthony is portrayed as hard done by because he does the bulk of the child duties while Therese enjoys her career. Therese is portrayed very unsympathetically.

Ellie has deteriorated into a complete grandmoo - these stories now predominate over the ones about her small business (because we all know what really matters to women)

There is enough to make me keep reading the strip - but I do think it has lapsed into breederism lately and that LJ seems to have developed placenta brain.

anoon
August 19, 2005
Michael and Deanna sprogged again!

Sounds horrible. Fuck LJ.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.