Advanced

Tips for Parents RE:Locked in Hot Car Syndrome

Posted by kidlesskim 
Tips for Parents RE:Locked in Hot Car Syndrome
September 07, 2010
http://pediatrics.about.com/b/2010/08/13/kids-in-hot-cars.htm
Kids in Hot Cars-Pediatrics Blog
Friday August 13, 2010

"It has been a record year for heat across much of the country this year. Unfortunately, it looks like we will hit another record this year - the number of kids who will have died in hot cars.

Experts warned earlier this summer that a record number of kids had already died after being left in a hot car, and the trend seems to be continuing. Twin two-year old girls were found dead in a hot car in southeast Missouri last month and another two-year old died just yesterday in a suburb of Dallas.

It is thought that the twins left their apartment while their grandmother was taking a nap and were able to get into the car. They were later found lying on the floorboard. The two-year old near Dallas was left behind in their SUV when the family got home. She was in her car seat in the third row of their SUV, and wasn't discovered until a few hours later when they were getting ready to leave for soccer practice.

Since these tragedies continue to happen to families that would never think that they could leave their child in a hot car, it is important to remember to take precautions so it really doesn't happen to your kids, such as:

•keeping your car locked and your keys out of reach, so kids can't get in the car by themselves
•placing a reminder in the back seat, such as the keyless entry remote that locks a car (put it on a key chain separate from the car keys), your purse, wallet, briefcase, or anything else that you typically take with you and can't do without
•putting something on the dashboard, your keychain (like a pacifier), or car window to remind you that your baby may be in the car
•asking your daycare provider to set up a system where they call if you don't show up with your baby and haven't called in sick
•when you get home, bringing your baby inside the house first and then bringing in the groceries so that you don't get distracted inside the house and forget your baby outside in the car
•installing a safety device to warn you that your baby is in the car such as The Child Minder system

:bdid So, they "can't do without" their purses, briefcases or wallets, yet they can "forget" their kyd? They can remember the sack of groceries, but NOT the infant strapped into the car seat? One article I read earlier this summer said that there were already EIGHTEEN locked in hot car deaths this year and it was only June! I believe that there were about that many the entire summer last year! These people aren't getting more careful with all of the PSA's and awareness programs, they're getting worse! It kinda reminds me of when SIDS related deaths got some press regarding that they were a legitimate death. "Crib Death" SOARED after that and it only waned after it was exposed about how many had actually been murders. This Locked in Hot Car Syndrome is probably just pure neglect and inattention, but I think that in many cases that they should be charged with child endangerment, at the very least.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Re: Tips for Parents RE:Locked in Hot Car Syndrome
September 07, 2010
Yeah, it couldn't be they are actually enjoying blissful uninterrupted peace and quiet for a change, when all of a sudden it dawns on these geniuses: MY BRIEFCASE!! OMG I LEFT MY BRIEFCASE IN THE CAR !!1!!! 'Cause we all know that taking care of one's briefcase is TMIJITW.
I'd be looking into more of these cases as PNA's* instead of 'accidents'. Especially if they'd been recently fed cough syrup or some other medicine that made them drowsy. (that Law and Order episode was more on the mark than they knew, IMO)

Seriously, you expect me to believe that you remembered your purse but forgot to take along the kid? How the hell can you NOT notice a kid anymore?!?!?! Wouldn't it be blabbering about getting candy or toys to beat the band, and throw a panic tantrum if you slammed the door without letting it out of the carseat?! Unless it was sound asleep and/or an itty-bitty bratling...how?

*Post-Natal Abortions
September 07, 2010
Here is a thought to the harried moos: Throw your iPhone in the baby seat. Put the baby on top of the iPhone and strap it in. There you have it. You need your phone so you can play Farmville and update FB with your bonfire of the inanities, so now you have to remove the baby from the car to get it.

Problem solved.
September 07, 2010
navi8orgirl
Here is a thought to the harried moos: Throw your iPhone in the baby seat. Put the baby on top of the iPhone and strap it in. There you have it. You need your phone so you can play Farmville and update FB with your bonfire of the inanities, so now you have to remove the baby from the car to get it.

Problem solved.
This.

lab mom
navi8orgirl

Problem solved.

Or how about this - get one of those fuzzy bungee cords, superglue one end to your 'sayl fawn' and tie the other around your kid's wrist. Lose the kid, lose the phone, which you MUST have to blab to your fellow moomies and gyrrrlfriends 25/8. Thus, you won't lose the kid. Ever.
September 07, 2010
Mine suits a dual purpose for saving lives: baby won't fry in hot car, idiot-moo won't be distracted by the phone while driving.
September 07, 2010
These are not accidents. Any of 'em. It takes hours for a child to cook in a hot car -- hours. Not five minutes, not even the ten minutes it takes to put groceries away like the list suggests. I wonder how many of 'em even had their kiddy's photo as their Facebook avatar as they occupied themselves with one eye on Farmville and one eye on the kitchen clock.

Remember Nebraska? Big Fail parents were coming from far and wide to kiddie-dump for a myriad of reasons, and you can be sure that for every one parent who made the drop, there were a thousand others across America who seriously considered doing the same thing but lost their nerve or didn't quite have the opportunity before the child recycling programme was yanked. Without Nebraska, and knowing that the authorities now bring a pair of handcuffs when they come to investigate cases of 'SIDS', parents are using hot cars as portable domestic gas chambers.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
September 07, 2010
navi8orgirl
Mine suits a dual purpose for saving lives: baby won't fry in hot car, idiot-moo won't be distracted by the phone while driving.
waving hellolarious Brilliant!
Actually it takes like 15 minutes for a locked car's temperature to reach fatal on an 80 degree day, and about 30 minutes for a small child to die in those conditions. Their little bodies don't handle it as well as adults.

IMHO if 'parents' who did this just got prosecuted we'd see a dramatic fall in the cases of 'kid left to fry' syndrome. They'd find something to replace it pretty quickly I'm sure though.
September 07, 2010
Ihatekids
Actually it takes like 15 minutes for a locked car's temperature to reach fatal on an 80 degree day, and about 30 minutes for a small child to die in those conditions. Their little bodies don't handle it as well as adults.

IMHO if 'parents' who did this just got prosecuted we'd see a dramatic fall in the cases of 'kid left to fry' syndrome. They'd find something to replace it pretty quickly I'm sure though.

1900-1920's: Drownings in creeks, falls onto pitchforks from barnyard lofts, fireplace fire deaths, trampled by cows, falls off horses
1930-1950's:Wringer washer deaths and injuries, falling off running boards of cars, tumbles down cellar stairs and falls off 2nd story balconies, suffocated in refrigerators
1960-1980's: SIDS, backyard pool drownings, falls out of upper story apartments, suffocation from dry cleaning plastic, overdose of OTC and prescription pills, choking on toys
1990-2000:Backovers, front overs, stranger abduction, falling into wild animal enclosures, air bag related deaths from minor traffic accidents, killed from lack of car restraints, novelty cigarette lighter fires
2000-present:Locked in hot car syndrome, gunshot wounds from guns stored within easy access, ATV and riding lawn mower mishaps, famblee dog maulings

Where there's a will, there's a way. shrug

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
September 07, 2010
kidlesskim
Ihatekids

1900-1920's: Drownings in creeks, falls onto pitchforks from barnyard lofts, fireplace fire deaths, trampled by cows, falls off horses
1930-1950's:Wringer washer deaths and injuries, falling off running boards of cars, tumbles down cellar stairs and falls off 2nd story balconies, suffocated in refrigerators
1960-1980's: SIDS, backyard pool drownings, falls out of upper story apartments, suffocation from dry cleaning plastic, overdose of OTC and prescription pills, choking on toys
1990-2000:Backovers, front overs, stranger abduction, falling into wild animal enclosures, air bag related deaths from minor traffic accidents, killed from lack of car restraints, novelty cigarette lighter fires
2000-present:Locked in hot car syndrome, gunshot wounds from guns stored within easy access, ATV and riding lawn mower mishaps, famblee dog maulings

And breedersons will certainly find a way to do it. And they always say, "it's all worthy it!". My arse.

lab mom
Anonymous User
September 07, 2010
WaterLily
kidlesskim
Ihatekids

And breedersons will certainly find a way to do it. And they always say, "it's all worthy it!". My arse.

Don't forget the ebil peanuts (not that food allergies are a joking matter).

When I was growing up we had loaded guns lying out in the open all the time. My parents taught me what they were for, that they were real, and that they could hurt someone. We were taught under no circumstances were we to ever touch them and we actually listened. Gun safety can and should be taught to kids at a young age. Maybe we were smarter than kids today or perhaps our parents actually parented.
September 07, 2010
Ihatekids

Yeah, instead of the "they've suffered enough". I think the poor kid suffered more than the parent. I read an article about that and it seems like an awful way to die.
September 08, 2010
nokids4me
Ihatekids

Yeah, instead of the "they've suffered enough". I think the poor kid suffered more than the parent. I read an article about that and it seems like an awful way to die.

This.

lab mom
September 08, 2010
ShimmyMuse
navi8orgirl
waving hellolarious Brilliant!

:yr

lab mom
Anonymous User
September 08, 2010
What a horrible way to die. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, except for their parents.
September 08, 2010
WaterLily
navi8orgirl

Problem solved.
This.

PERFECT
Anonymous User
September 08, 2010
great tip - put something *important* next to that entire person you gave birth to so you won't forget that entire person you gave birth to. wow. why didn't anyone think of that sooner?
September 08, 2010
Really?
great tip - put something *important* next to that entire person you gave birth to so you won't forget that entire person you gave birth to. wow. why didn't anyone think of that sooner?

And if the phone starts ringing, and wakes up the baybee they just had to have, then the crying baybee will inevitably remind them of their mistake and monumental fuck up. grinning smiley

lab mom
September 08, 2010
You know, WHILE I am putting up my shitpile of groceries I am constantly muttering to myself, "Where are those Early June Peas? Did that little bastard not put them in my bag again?" or "Shit, the tomato paste musta fallen out onto the floor board again because it's NOT here!." or, "WHERE did that candy bar I got off of the impulse rack go? Did I put in in my purse?" I am KEENLY aware of what should have been brought in and what is missing. If it isn't there, then I go and LOOK for it! I also re-check my vehicle after unloading it too just in case one of my outside cats decided to crawl up inside and take a nap, which they have been known to try to do in the past. If I can notice missing peas and whatnot and take the time to check for kitties, then WHY can't these stupid, mindless, usesless moocows and their Boar hog-husbands remember and/or check for THEIR OWN CHILDREN? shrug

September 08, 2010
So now they need reminders that their babies are in the car. GOD breeders are so fucking STUPID. Any idiot who 'forgets' their baby in a car should have the child taken away (that is if the child survives. If not, the stupid cunt/asshole gets sterilized). No ifs, ands or buts.
September 08, 2010
It's not stupidity, it's not negligence. It's malice. It's murder. They do it on purpose.

For the same reason you won't forget a candy bar, a can of peas, or to check for a kitty, or for the same reasons us other pet owners don't forget our pets in the car, are the reasons why these toxic breeders' "I FORGOT!!!" excuses are so much bullshit.
September 08, 2010
eye rolling smileyMore "safety tips" for the brainless follow

http://www.pr-inside.com/eight-hot-car-deaths-occurred-in-r2070384.htm

'Eight hot car deaths occurred in the last 8 days; at least 37 fatalities so far this year
2010-08-20 18:50:35 - CHILDREN ARE DYING IN PARKED CARS AT AN ALARMING RATE

8 hot car deaths occurred in the last 8 days; at least 37 fatalities so far this year

KidsAndCars.org asks for the media’s assistance to help warn adults not to leave children unattended in or around vehicles

Leawood, KS - August 19, 2010 - From New York to California; from as far north as Wisconsin to southern Florida; children are dying in hot cars at alarming rates. At least thirty-six (36) children have died so far this year with more summer weather still to come. Seven (7) of those children perished in just the last 7 days.

Approximately 50% of the 2010 incidents involved children getting into an unlocked vehicle on their own and the other half were unknowingly ‘forgotten’ by an adult caregiver who became distracted when they left the vehicle. It takes only minutes for a child to be at risk of death and serious, permanent injury in a hot car............

“We are reaching out to the media to request their assistance to add warning messages during their broadcasts, include safety tips in print media and on their web sites.” A map that provides information about the number of vehicular heat stroke fatalities for each state can be found at: cebook.com/#!/pages/KidsAndCarsorg/128148590541866?ref=ts

The overall goal of the outreach campaign is to ensure no more children die in 2010 because they were locked inside a hot vehicle. “It is vital to engage the power of the media to get this life-saving information into the hands of families quickly and with the same high profile frequency used during product recalls or anytime eminent danger befalls America’s children” Fennell added. “We want parents and caregivers to take immediate precautions so that a similar tragedy does not happen to them or anyone in their family.”

From 1995 through August 18th of this year, at least five hundred thirty seven (537) children died from heat stroke in vehicles that became too hot for them to survive. “A child’s body heats up 3-5 times faster than an adult’s, and young children have no way of protecting themselves in a hot vehicle,” says Judith Stone, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety and a member of the Board of KidsAndCars.org. She went on to say, “the age of these tiny victims alone should compel everyone to do as much as they possibly can to protect them.”

Eighty-seven (87%) of children who have died due to vehicular heat stroke are ages 3 and younger:
<1-year old 31%
1-year-old 23%
2-years-old 20%
3-years-old 13%
4-years-old 6%
5 thru 14-years old 7%

Infants are in the highest risk group for several reasons. They ride in rear-facing infant seats which do not look any different to the driver if they are empty or occupied. Babies usually fall asleep when traveling in the car and do not make any noise. Add to that, the slightest change in a normal routine can turn disastrous to parents who are often sleep-deprived.

The national child safety organization, KidsAndCars.org, has been the leader in bringing this issue to the nation’s attention. For over 12 years KidsAndCars.org has been collecting data and working towards the reduction and/or elimination of children dying in hot vehicles. We believe, education, public awareness and technology is what is needed to prevent these unthinkable tragedies.

Safety Tips from KidsAndCars.org

• Never leave children alone in or around cars; not even for a minute.

• Put something you'll need like your cell phone, handbag, employee ID or brief case, etc., on the floor board in the back seat.

• Get in the habit of always opening the back door of your vehicle every time you reach your destination to make sure no child has been left behind. This will soon become a habit. We call this the “Look Before You Lock” campaign.

• Keep a large stuffed animal in the child's car seat when it’s not occupied. When the child is placed in the seat, put the stuffed animal in the front passenger seat. It's a visual reminder that anytime the stuffed animal is up front you know the child is in the back seat in a child safety seat.

• Make arrangements with your child’s day care center or babysitter that you will always call if your child will not be there on a particular day as scheduled. This is common courtesy and sets a good example that everyone who is involved in the care of your child is informed of their whereabouts on a daily basis. Ask them to phone you if your child doesn't show up when expected. Many children’s lives could have been saved with a telephone call from a concerned child care provider. Give child care providers all your telephone numbers, including that of an extra family member or friend, so they can always confirm the whereabouts of your child.

• Keep vehicles locked at all times; even in the garage or driveway and always set your parking brake.

• Keys and/or remote openers should never be left within reach of children.

• Make sure all child passengers have left the vehicle after it is parked.

• When a child is missing, check vehicles and car trunks immediately.

• If you see a child alone in a vehicle, get involved. If they are hot or seem sick, get them out as quickly as possible. Call 911 or your local emergency number immediately.

• Be especially careful about keeping children safe in and around cars during busy times, schedule changes and periods of crisis or holidays.

• Use drive-thru services when available. (restaurants, banks, pharmacies, dry cleaners, etc.)

• Use your debit or credit card to pay for gas at the pump.

For additional information about ways to keep children safe in and around vehicles, visit our website at www.KidsAndCars.org
###

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eye rolling smiley

September 08, 2010
Who leaves their car unlocked for any lengthy period of time? When we were kids, my brother and I left our my roller skates and his action figures out for a moment to get ice cream from the ice cream truck. We came back and they were gone. I lock EVERYTHING. My poor freshman year roomie was from a town of about 500 people and they never locked anything. I locked her out a number of times, just out of habit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login