Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Post 474

Posted by Feh 
Feh
Post 474
September 02, 2005
Ack! You watch FOX?!!! Hopefully it's for laughs, or to get a raging hate-on. I've been flipping compulsively through the news channels, and it seems to me that the majority of the coverage has just been about how horrible it is for EVERYONE, reguardless of age. Yesterday was the first day I started seeing reporting on dead folks, and it was mostly about dead adults, so well...there's that, I guess.

Also, since you've been watching Fox, and might have the impression that all the folks who stayed were there for fun, looting potential,because they hate the government, or are just plain stupid. There are alot of different reasons why people of all colors and levels of wealth stayed. Hell, Fats Domino stayed, and he's a pretty rich and well known musician who probably had the ability to leave and could afford to stay in a hotel. Remember, pets aren't allowed in shelters, some folks have elderly relatives or neighbors of limited mobility and stayed to take care of them, extreme poverty, inablity to get reasonably priced transportation (amtrak and greyhound were both closed by noon on saturday), tourists and -ahem- hospital staff and patients who weren't evacuated even though the Mayor said to evacuate the city.

I saw some heartbreaking footage a couple days ago of an elderly couple on a roof with a dog. I was sort of not paying attention too much, so I looked up and saw them getting in the boat, and looked up again to see the boat pulling away...with the dog still on the roof. I can not even imagine how horrible it would be to stay through a hurricane with your pet, have to go on the roof with your pet, and then get rescued only to have to leave it behind...because they don't allow pets in shelters. If you want to help the animals down there, the American Humane Association is down there now. http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pa_disaster_relief

Feh
Re: Post 474
September 02, 2005
Well, I guess they're just slower on the rest of the stations. The baby rain has started today. More and more big eyed kids in the shots, parents reunited with the baby they "had to leave behind", comatose tots in mamma's arms....that sort of thing. Yeesh...it makes it easier to turn off, and that's good I guess.
September 03, 2005
(quoting poster)And really, people, I am a proud Liberal, but if you are too poor to get out of the city and you don't own a car or a way to get out of there, YOUR ASS IS TOO POOR TO BE PREGNANT IN THE FIRST PLACE.(end of quote)

You're not liberal, which is a compliment from me. If you were, you would have the "It Takes a Village" mentality and believe that these bums should breed all they want and that those of us who work should not complain about our pay going to these leeches.

CF Scorpio
September 04, 2005
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
inablity to get reasonably priced
> transportation (amtrak and greyhound were both
> closed by noon on saturday),

Thanks for pointing this out. If I hear one more idiot say that all these people in New Orleans are "idiots" for staying and deserve what happened to them, I am going to go ballistic!

I've heard 2 evacuees say what you just pointed out: there WAS NO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION and NO WAY FOR PEOPLE WITHOUT CARS TO GET OUT!!!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.