Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WIC whores bitching about feeding their kids HEALTHY food!

Posted by CF_Amy 
Re: WIC whores bitching about feeding their kids HEALTHY food!
October 23, 2010
This is turning into a cooking thread!

I go to the outdoor market once a week, and spend between 20 and 30 euros, which gets me 42 portions of veg (3 per day, 2 people, 1 week) and 28 portions of fruit (2 per day). I only buy what looks good and is affordable (i.e. what is seasonal), and then I plan my meals for the week to use up the vegetables in the order in which they will spoil. For instance, right now zucchini and eggplants are very affordable, so I'm going to make ratatouille every other week while the glut lasts, but first I'm going to make something with the cauliflower and beans (perhaps vegetable korma), because both look on the verge of spoiling. It's not hard to eat a balanced, healthy diet if you have some cooking skill.

I'm sure I could eat more cheaply than I do. Because of allergies I buy things like almond milk when it would be cheaper to just do without or make it myself. I also like to get top-quality meat which hasn't been intensively farmed, when I do get meat (which is not so often). I get bread from the bakery instead of the supermarket because I can taste the difference. I don't make everything from scratch, and could no doubt save money by making my own stock, laundry soap, jam, and bread--all of which I have done in the past, but currently lack the facilities for.

I do see some problems associated with simply dumping healthy food on poor people. If people don't know how to cook properly (and it seems that most people don't these days, whether they are poor or not) it really will seem like an impossible problem to them. Perhaps food should be accompanied by mandatory classes to teach people like this basic skills--cooking, cleaning, parenting, budgeting, birth control, etc. People who can demonstrate sufficient knowledge in these areas would naturally not need to participate.

Some people might criticize that as a paternalistic attitude, but I'm quite tired of the idea that we can't criticize anything about poor people, even when it is poor choices or ignorance which has created the situation. How can the problem ever be addressed if there is never an onus on people to better themselves? We should talk about their responsibilities at least as much as we talk about their rights.

Perhaps we should just have a poor people exchange program. Anyone who has been on welfare for too long gets shipped off to a developing country, and in exchange someone who is eager for the opportunity to come here. I'd rather support refugees than generations of poor within my own country.
October 23, 2010

Some people might criticize that as a paternalistic attitude, but I'm quite tired of the idea that we can't criticize anything about poor people, even when it is poor choices or ignorance which has created the situation. How can the problem ever be addressed if there is never an onus on people to better themselves? We should talk about their responsibilities at least as much as we talk about their rights.

This!!!!

I can think of a lot of good uses for my money and if it has to be diverted to shiftless people who won't even TRY, then I think they should lose a good bit of their autonomy. Discomfort as a motivator, within reasonable levels, is not inhumane. It's pretty much how all of human progress happens, actually.

No one wants children to starve but sorry, oatmeal and 2% milk, as others have pointed out, would be a feast to millions on this planet and the notion that if recipients of public aid can't instead select Coke and Pop Tarts for breakfast we are somehow robbing them of dignity is just bullshit.
October 23, 2010
yurble
This is turning into a cooking thread!

I go to the outdoor market once a week, and spend between 20 and 30 euros, which gets me 42 portions of veg (3 per day, 2 people, 1 week) and 28 portions of fruit (2 per day). I only buy what looks good and is affordable (i.e. what is seasonal), and then I plan my meals for the week to use up the vegetables in the order in which they will spoil. For instance, right now zucchini and eggplants are very affordable, so I'm going to make ratatouille every other week while the glut lasts, but first I'm going to make something with the cauliflower and beans (perhaps vegetable korma), because both look on the verge of spoiling. It's not hard to eat a balanced, healthy diet if you have some cooking skill.

I'm sure I could eat more cheaply than I do. Because of allergies I buy things like almond milk when it would be cheaper to just do without or make it myself. I also like to get top-quality meat which hasn't been intensively farmed, when I do get meat (which is not so often). I get bread from the bakery instead of the supermarket because I can taste the difference. I don't make everything from scratch, and could no doubt save money by making my own stock, laundry soap, jam, and bread--all of which I have done in the past, but currently lack the facilities for.

I do see some problems associated with simply dumping healthy food on poor people. If people don't know how to cook properly (and it seems that most people don't these days, whether they are poor or not) it really will seem like an impossible problem to them. Perhaps food should be accompanied by mandatory classes to teach people like this basic skills--cooking, cleaning, parenting, budgeting, birth control, etc. People who can demonstrate sufficient knowledge in these areas would naturally not need to participate.

Perhaps we should just have a poor people exchange program. Anyone who has been on welfare for too long gets shipped off to a developing country, and in exchange someone who is eager for the opportunity to come here. I'd rather support refugees than generations of poor within my own country.

the reason most of them are poor is because they refuse to do anything to make their lives better. they bitch about where they live, what they eat, how they have to travel, etc-yet, if you handed the majority of them a million dollars, the first things they'll do is go get a bigass, tricked out suv, a bunch of tattoos, some sort of cell phone and whatever else except use it to pay off existing bills, bring themselves out of debt, put away some for retirement and buy a decent home. they either like being a victim or they don't know how to not be anything besides a victim.
October 23, 2010
Yurble, our local welfare office has a nutritionist at their disposal for THESE very reasons! They have a "healthy cooking class" one day a month that is FREE for the community as well at our rural electric association. They have hand outs of sample menus as well as basic (and simple) cooking instructions for a variety of nutritious meals that are available AT the welfare office, by mail out upon request, at the library, and for print out online. The information is conveniently available, easily accessible, and it's FREE, so apparently it doesn't make any difference. Even if they just can not grasp creative cooking, it is as cheap and easy to place peas and corn in a microwave as it is a frozen mac and cheese dinner. It is JUST as easy to place a pre-pattied hamburger patty in a toaster oven as it is a frozen pizza. Apples and oranges aren't too difficult to figure out either NOR is it too hard to peel back the top to a cup of yogurt or applesauce.confused smiley

I do NOT believe that with the ways that many foods are packaged these days that it takes a MENSA candidate to prepare them. The real reason that they do not do it is because it takes effort. Also, I don't give a shit if they can't read labels or understand caloric-fat-sugar content like some of my fellow citizens in this comunity like to argue as the reason for their rampant obesity. ANYBODY, most kyds included, know that "candy is "bad" and fruit is GOOD for you" and they ALSO are aware that fast food is generally "junk" food and that meat and/or vegetables is "healthy". They don't have to be a licensed nutritionist to understand these very basic common knowledge things regarding food and nutrition.:dindin

Therefore, I am of the opinion that the vast majority of them DO in fact know and that they 1)Do not care and 2)Are too damned lazy to plan their shopping lists and their meals. It's easier to go to McDonalds and/or toss a pizza in the microwave. It's like the line from the movie, "Animal House" when Dean Wormer says, ";....Fat AND stupid is no way to go through life......"Apparently this is among their stupid choices and I wouldn't give a damn if the tax payers weren't having to fund their CHOSEN lifestyles. angry smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
October 23, 2010
kidlesskim
Yurble, our local welfare office has a nutritionist at their disposal for THESE very reasons! They have a "healthy cooking class" one day a month that is FREE for the community as well at our rural electric association. They have hand outs of sample menus as well as basic (and simple) cooking instructions for a variety of nutritious meals that are available AT the welfare office, by mail out upon request, at the library, and for print out online. The information is conveniently available, easily accessible, and it's FREE, so apparently it doesn't make any difference. Even if they just can not grasp creative cooking, it is as cheap and easy to place peas and corn in a microwave as it is a frozen mac and cheese dinner. It is JUST as easy to place a pre-pattied hamburger patty in a toaster oven as it is a frozen pizza. Apples and oranges aren't too difficult to figure out either NOR is it too hard to peel back the top to a cup of yogurt or applesauce.confused smiley

I do NOT believe that with the ways that many foods are packaged these days that it takes a MENSA candidate to prepare them. The real reason that they do not do it is because it takes effort. Also, I don't give a shit if they can't read labels or understand caloric-fat-sugar content like some of my fellow citizens in this comunity like to argue as the reason for their rampant obesity. ANYBODY, most kyds included, know that "candy is "bad" and fruit is GOOD for you" and they ALSO are aware that fast food is generally "junk" food and that meat and/or vegetables is "healthy". They don't have to be a licensed nutritionist to understand these very basic common knowledge things regarding food and nutrition.:dindin

Therefore, I am of the opinion that the vast majority of them DO in fact know and that they 1)Do not care and 2)Are too damned lazy to plan their shopping lists and their meals. It's easier to go to McDonalds and/or toss a pizza in the microwave. It's like the line from the movie, "Animal House" when Dean Wormer says, ";....Fat AND stupid is no way to go through life......"Apparently this is among their stupid choices and I wouldn't give a damn if the tax payers weren't having to fund their CHOSEN lifestyles. angry smiley

thumbs upwink
kidlesskim
One time in my welfare infested community someone on the local community forum posted a local story about two BIG FAT twin looking cows, moo and moo jr, who were whining about how they couldn't live on $600 a month in FOOD STAMPS, just for the two of them! . . . . The fat moo jr was NINETEEN years old and had already applied for her OWN disability because she had trouble walking and standing, although it didn't specify why.

Oh, FFS. The fat sow worked at Hardees for what, a year at most, and now is applying for SSI because she's TOO FAT TO MOVE? This sort of shit just pisses me off. Being FAT is not a disability. And I can fucking guarantee you I could cure this fat fuck of her problem. But instead, the taxpayer will kick in with the welfare check, and apparently all too happily, from what the community members were saying, to fatten her fat ass up even more. Maybe if the dumb cow actually had to work for a living she might lose some of her fat.
October 23, 2010
kidlesskim

THIS!!!! Thank you I'm not that great of a cook, but a bag of beans is not rocket science. Not to mention, most every food has recipes on them. I mean SURELY people have friends who know how to cook? Thankfully, (when we're getting along) I can call my mom up and ask about something, she never really taught me how to cook, but she did teach me some basics. If not her, then I have my sister and BIL, BIL is a chef in the Coast Guard, so I do have resources. If for some reason BOTH aren't available, I have teh intarwebz. If these people are too poor to get the internet (which most are not, they somehow manage to pay for that) there is the library. It's within biking distance of the "ghetto" of my city. So there ARE resources to get info on how to cook, just most people are too lazy to seek them out. As KidlessKim said, our WIC also holds free cooking classes, including ones for children. (Nothing too fancy, more along the lines of making healthy food choices.) A crockpot at wal-mart is $20. You can get them even cheaper if you belong to a church and chances are, someone has an extra one they'll gladly give you for free so you can cook. So yes, there are resources out there. Also, I should add that their WIC checks ONLY allow them to buy food they need. Your child needs whole milk? Your WIC check will say it on there. Your child is anemic? They'll give you extra cereal or peanut butter. So yes, WIC checks are tailored to your needs. If your child is overweight, they do not NEED whole milk, I actually hate whole milk because it makes me nauseous. Long story short, I don't buy people's excuses on why they can't eat beans, whole grain cereal, etc. on WIC. Healthy food is expensive, but here is an example, I live with my sister, BIL and their 2 kids. I'm helping them trim the food budget. We eat 15 bean soup with chopped up turkey bacon in it a lot. To feed everyone for a few days, it's $6. For FIVE PEOPLE. We also can do tacos for about $10 (we buy the extra lean meat). We also buy a huge container of salad for $5 and a huge bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $6. Of course, she and BIL live by "eat it or leave it" for the kids. It's not rocket science. Although, I do wish we had co-ops here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

"I took the batteries out of my biological clock and put them in my vibrator"
October 23, 2010
BitchSansBrats
kidlesskim
One time in my welfare infested community someone on the local community forum posted a local story about two BIG FAT twin looking cows, moo and moo jr, who were whining about how they couldn't live on $600 a month in FOOD STAMPS, just for the two of them! . . . . The fat moo jr was NINETEEN years old and had already applied for her OWN disability because she had trouble walking and standing, although it didn't specify why.

Oh, FFS. The fat sow worked at Hardees for what, a year at most, and now is applying for SSI because she's TOO FAT TO MOVE? This sort of shit just pisses me off. Being FAT is not a disability. And I can fucking guarantee you I could cure this fat fuck of her problem. But instead, the taxpayer will kick in with the welfare check, and apparently all too happily, from what the community members were saying, to fatten her fat ass up even more. Maybe if the dumb cow actually had to work for a living she might lose some of her fat.

The bright side is that they'll both probably kick the bucket before their 45th birthdays so at least we won't have to subsidize them until age 80. Unless, of course, they get bariatric surgery at taxpayer expense and loose 200 pounds.
October 23, 2010
i'm beginning to think we should ONLY give welfare to the mexicans-they actually work to keep their shit nice, they walk all over the place and don't buy expensive cars and they buy up beans, rice and other food, meaning they know how to fucking cook. in fact, here's what i propose-we exchange all our welfare moos and their spawn to mexico and they give us their poor working. we subsidize the poor working mexicans and allow them to merge into the rest of us as far as opportunity goes and we won't need welfare ever because everybody who wants to work will be here and everybody who wants to be a fucking leech will be in mexico being murdered by drug cartels.
October 23, 2010
married with rabbits
CF_Amy
If for some reason BOTH aren't available, I have teh intarwebz. If these people are too poor to get the internet (which most are not, they somehow manage to pay for that) there is the library. It's within biking distance of the "ghetto" of my city.

Where I live the projects are walking distance from the library, and the ones further out are within biking distance.. So there is internet there and plenty of cookbooks within their reach.

and even if not-the grocery store has recipes galore-there's magazines full of them, mini cook book magazines at the impulse aisle, recipe cards in produce, dairy, meat and seafood sections and recipes all over the packages of many products, there's no excuse to not have a recipe. plus, many papers publish a cooking section, esp. on sundays or in community special interest publications (that are free) that have-SURPRISE-recipes.
Nutritionist my ass. If moo wants to go to the library and look at a cookbook, fine. But 10,000 years ago there were no cookbooks. How did people ever learn how to do shit? Hunger. It's a powerful motivator.

Put moo in a field with some livestock and cornstalks. Let her figure it out.

But seriously, what's next? We have to chew moo's food for her and then spoon it in her damned mouth?
I love this thread.

I want free food, but I'm not eligible. I just wanna slap the shit out of the ingrates who are complaining. Seriously.
October 23, 2010
And frankly even if they can't cook they can select uncooked and finger foods that are healthier. Carrots, apples, any other fruit, many vegetables are decent raw and sliced, olives, low-fat cheese and reduced fat whole-grain triscuits -- any of the above in combo is a decent breakfast, lunch or dinner. Hot pockets and pizza rolls aren't the only easy-to-eat foods out there.

Some famous nutritionist person out there coined the phrase "If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry." I say that should be posted in every WIC, food stamps and food bank office nationwide.
October 23, 2010
Adding to the above: I do imagine that the poor eat for emotional reasons, just as the rest of us do -- but I don't believe it's society's job to feed that need or provide an unmonitored array of choices, any more than it's society's job to provide cigs, booze, pay-per-view TV and other ways that people cope with stresses in their lives. Providing basic (BASIC!) nutrition for all citizens is one thing, handing them my cash so they can buy fast food, grocery-store cakes and buns, fried snacks, frozen junk and other travesties of nutrition is galling beyond belief.
October 23, 2010
skysurfer
I love this thread.

I want free food, but I'm not eligible. I just wanna slap the shit out of the ingrates who are complaining. Seriously.

I'm not eligible because I don't breed irresponsibly. If I wanted kyds, i'm in no position to have them. Basically, if I had a kyd or 2, i'd have everything handed to me on a silver platter. But a kyd isn't worth living for free. I'll pass kthx.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

"I took the batteries out of my biological clock and put them in my vibrator"
Melanie
Some famous nutritionist person out there coined the phrase "If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry." I say that should be posted in every WIC, food stamps and food bank office nationwide.

Spot on. If WIC moo gets hungry enough, she'll eat what she's given. As for WIC, I always thought the rules were different from regular old "food stamps". Doesn't WIC have limits as to what one can buy? I think stuff like milk, cheese, bread, etc.? Whereas with regular food stamps, you can buy soda and Doritos. Well, it should all be WIC-type food allotment. At the Welfare Store.
Isn't it interesting that CF people can come up with plenty of healthy and low cost meal ideas, while the allegedly bigger-brained moos cannot?grinning smiley

There are lots of varieties of canned soup which are pretty decent nutritionally. This time a year they are on sale, so you can get them for as little as 1 dollar per can. I buy two of the same kind and get three meals from that. But this probably isn't a reasonable idea for the lazy moos. It takes too much effort to put those heavy cans in the grocery cart, then put them on the conveyor belt at the register, then put them in the car, then carry them into the house, then get a pot out of the cabinet and open the cans....... Oh the horror! How do I manage to do it?
October 23, 2010
We spend about $200 a month on food for the two of us. We eat out maybe 3 to 4 times a month, never anywhere more than $10-$12 each. I feel like we have a good variety of food (my husband is a big meat eater), and snacks. His favorite snacks are radishes and celery. CHEAP! I take my lunch to work most days, and he usually has soup here on the days he works. Usually once a week or so we have a crock pot roast with vegetables. We eat lots of fresh and frozen vegetables - I have not yet found a vegetable that he won't eat. It's not hard to live on this much money for food. We could do even better if we really tried. This seems to be about our median outlay per month for food.
October 24, 2010
For that $30 that these hogs spend at Mcdonalds in ONE sitting, they could buy enough meat, vegetables, bread, AND make a dessert for at least three meals. If they are so gung ho on the burger-fries thing, then a ten pound pack of hamburger meat and a HUGE ass bag of fries and a famblee pack of buns and all of the accessories could be bought for that same $30 and they could probably get 5 or more equivalent meals from it. I do that kinda thing anyway, but if I relied on public assistance to eat then I can't imagine doing anything else. These moocows are LAZY, FAT, and STUPID for the most part, and it pisses me off royally to support their hideously careless and irresponsible lifestyles via paying taxes.:sbx

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
October 24, 2010
Ondinette
Isn't it interesting that CF people can come up with plenty of healthy and low cost meal ideas, while the allegedly bigger-brained moos cannot?grinning smiley

There are lots of varieties of canned soup which are pretty decent nutritionally. This time a year they are on sale, so you can get them for as little as 1 dollar per can. I buy two of the same kind and get three meals from that. But this probably isn't a reasonable idea for the lazy moos. It takes too much effort to put those heavy cans in the grocery cart, then put them on the conveyor belt at the register, then put them in the car, then carry them into the house, then get a pot out of the cabinet and open the cans....... Oh the horror! How do I manage to do it?

This.

lab mom
October 24, 2010
I agree with everyone so far and Kim you are so right; if they have to have their burgers and fries -- make them at home! (Of course the apologists will scream that 'the poor' can't do that but JFC, are there really that many homes that lack an oven? Really??? )

I actually had the urge for burgers and fries -- made a jumbo hamburger (more than I could really eat) last night; broiled in the oven, prob $1.50 worth of high-quality ground chuck -- and about 50 cents of frozen store-brand crinkle-cut fries. Got some pickles from the basement -- a $4 jar I had bought at half price when I stocked up some months ago -- and sliced it up (rather than buying expensive sandwich stackers) -- decided I didn't even want a bun but had on-sale-purchased ones in the freezer, Sara Lee whole grain white buns, had I so chosen. A can of national-brand baked beans, normally over $1 but purchased on sale for 33 cents. So for $2.33 I had protein, broiled in a way to minimize the fat, fries (admittedly non-nutritious) and baked beans -- extremely filling and killed that craving for junk food.

People less picky about meat could do the above for far cheaper. Aggggh, the more I think about all of the $$$ down the drain due to lazy, poor shopping habits, the more I want to scream.
October 25, 2010
Well, I dive the dumpster at the Hostess outlet and get all the free bread i please, then I steal mushrooms from my neighbor's garden. Top it off with free ketchup packets from Arby's and that's good eatin'

Ok just kidding. I really wanted to one-up the frugalistas. Really, I do a lot of crock pot cookin' and freezin, and sometimes dinner is just a can of green beans and a baked potato.
October 25, 2010
I don't think I would ever voluntarily become a freegan.
October 25, 2010
yurble

Me either. My frugality ends at the marked down near expired "manager's specials" sections in the meat and produce aisles. Once anything is thrown into a dumpster that's where it can stay as far as I am concerned.bouncing and laughing

October 25, 2010
kidlesskim
yurble

Me either. My frugality ends at the marked down near expired "manager's specials" sections in the meat and produce aisles. Once anything is thrown into a dumpster that's where it can stay as far as I am concerned.bouncing and laughing

I agree. At least work for the freebies, sheesh. Welfare trash sitting on their ass and getting freebies burns my butt. the world 'fail' on flames angry flipping off angry smiley :scr :mad2 angrily flogging with a whip spanking with a whip on the ass hitting over the head with a hammer smile rolling left righteyes2

lab mom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login