Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

long ago memory..

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
long ago memory..
September 15, 2005
I have no idea why this has stayed in my memory so long. I am in my 50's now, and I was only around 6 when I witnessed this little 'episode'.
Anyway, I was sitting with my mother in a small apartment complex in bayside, long island. We had been visiting my 'aunt' Nenna, lovely old lady. Not really my aunt, more distant, but I was quite fond of her. Mom and I were sitting on a park bench and up againt the curb was that old bastion 'Mr Softee'. Some woman had just gotten her 3 year old some ice cream. I plainly heard her say 'I'll have a taste, then you get the rest," and she proceeded to take a small bite of it. The sprog started to really fuss, whine, and carry on. Mom repeated the request, with the promise the stupid sprog was gonna get the rest. Well, the tantrum really started. (I call this woman a mom because she did what I would have done.) "If you are going to behave like that, mr softee goes right in the garbage." And so it did. The tantrum escalated and mom simply ignored it and dragged the kid away by one arm. If it tried to fall to the ground, it was simply hoisted and dragged, or airborne for a few seconds..
I think that was when I really first started to dislike kids, and consider what the impact on adults was. Young for that kind of mental musings, but it also marked ther beginning, in my own small way, of watching kids, adults, what they said, and what they actually did; the evidence of the vast divide between the fantasy of 'children are innocent, you will love your baby, it will be differnt when you have your own...etc etc etc' and the reality: the parents were obviously sick to death of their little pricks. What an education. Misery loves company.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.