Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Raging candy cigarette debate

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: Raging candy cigarette debate
December 13, 2010
learnernotlurker
Amen to Zatoth's mentioning the hoops you have to jump through now to get pseudoephedrine thanks to the meth addicts. Even Consumer Reports says if you need a decongestant, jump through the hoops; the OTC phenelephrine (spelling approx) is no better than a placebo.

And guess what? Two states have made pseudoephedrine prescription only, and some Congressmen are trying to make it prescription only for EVERYONE. I hope my university's walk-in clinic or the nurse practitioners at Wal-Mart can write the prescription. The thought of all of us waiting weeks to see our doctor for a decongestant is insane!

I need pseudoephedrine to live and breathe. It is cheap and it works, it is the only thing that works. My insurance co-pay is 35.00 for a doctor's visit. So I would have to pay 35.00 to see the doctor to get my rx. By law I would have to do that once a year in order to get the rx renewed annually. So I should start hoarding it now?
December 13, 2010
My 16 y/o cousin went to Walmart to buy 2 cans of spray paint and was denied the right to purchase it because she was under age 21. Apparently it's a popular product for teens to sniff or something, but they damned sure asked for her ID and wouldn't sell it to her. She was an honor student at the time (3 years ago) and absolutely NOT a druggie either and looked like the healthy athletic girl that she is too. So, it must be some nationwide across the board Wallyworld thing much like the cold medicines requiring ID and getting signed for just about everywhere. The first time that I saw one of those little cards that you're supposed to take up to the pharmacist, I thought it was because they had sold out or something. I think it's absurd that just because ingredients in an OTC product are being used improperly that everyone else gets inconvenienced and penalized. Couldn't they just go through all of this if someone wanted a massive quantity?confused smiley

Antifreeze is fast becoming the drug of choice in DIY murders, yet it can still be bought at most any retail outlet. Gas and other accelerants are commonly used in arson, arsenic can be found in many pesticides and is sold most anywhere, and alcohol is one of the deadliest drugs known to man when abused and it's as easy to buy as a dozen eggs. This nanny state that The United States is becoming is just outright absurd! Are we going to eventually have to have the government approve each and every purchase that we make and only be "allowed" to purchase potentially "dangerous" items if we can PROVE it's for a legitimate use?Mr. T: I pitty tha foold It OFFENDS me to have to put up with this shit!angry smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
December 13, 2010
Wallyworld has fascinating rules of its own. Once I tried to buy a pack of pseudoephedrine and two Day-Quils (the cough-suppressant-only form, no pseudo in it). The clerk refused to let me buy more than one of the three items, saying I couldn't buy three products with pseudoephedrine. I pointed out that only one product contained it, and she said that SOME Day-Quils contained it and that all the registers were programmed not to accept more than one of any product that might SOMEWHERE have a sibling form with the evil pseudo.

Send in the clowns? Don't bother, they're here.
December 13, 2010
learnernotlurker
Wallyworld has fascinating rules of its own. Once I tried to buy a pack of pseudoephedrine and two Day-Quils (the cough-suppressant-only form, no pseudo in it). The clerk refused to let me buy more than one of the three items, saying I couldn't buy three products with pseudoephedrine. I pointed out that only one product contained it, and she said that SOME Day-Quils contained it and that all the registers were programmed not to accept more than one of any product that might SOMEWHERE have a sibling form with the evil pseudo.

Send in the clowns? Don't bother, they're here.

bouncing and laughing

What do they do with the "pseudo" stuff anyway? Is it melted down and smoked? If it is, then SO WHAT? It's not like they can't come up with something else to smoke or snort and all it does is make life more difficult for everybody else! If the shit in cold medicine is approved and legal in the form that it's sold and packaged in, then I fail to see how this is Wallyworld or anyone else's business who buys it or in what quantities.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
December 13, 2010
kidlesskim

bouncing and laughing

What do they do with the "pseudo" stuff anyway? Is it melted down and smoked? If it is, then SO WHAT? It's not like they can't come up with something else to smoke or snort and all it does is make life more difficult for everybody else! If the shit in cold medicine is approved and legal in the form that it's sold and packaged in, then I fail to see how this is Wallyworld or anyone else's business who buys it or in what quantities.

Pseudoephedrine is one of the main ingredients in methamphetamine. Controlling the amount purchased is an attempt to control the manufacture if it. That is one reason why ID is required and amounts sold are restricted. If someone tries to buy some here and then more there it pops up on a data base.

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/druglab/docs/Isthereamethlabwebversion.pdf

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=former-meth-lab
December 13, 2010
thom_c
kidlesskim

bouncing and laughing

Pseudoephedrine is one of the main ingredients in methamphetamine. Controlling the amount purchased is an attempt to control the manufacture if it. That is one reason why ID is required and amounts sold are restricted. If someone tries to buy some here and then more there it pops up on a data base.

Once it pops up on the database, then what legal right do they have to do anything about it? All I keep reading about is how meth use is on the rise, so they must be getting it somehow. Does anyone know what kind of a "high" it is that it's addictive immediately and next to impossible to kick? I am thinking that it must destroy the brain cells located in the "I don't give a shit" center of the brain, based on the actions of the addicted.confused smiley Other than perhaps cocaine, I can't think of any drug that is so awful in causing people to do crazy shit and then their not even giving a damn after they "sober up", if that's even possible with meth.

December 13, 2010
kidlesskim
My 16 y/o cousin went to Walmart to buy 2 cans of spray paint and was denied the right to purchase it because she was under age 21. Apparently it's a popular product for teens to sniff or something, but they damned sure asked for her ID and wouldn't sell it to her. She was an honor student at the time (3 years ago) and absolutely NOT a druggie either and looked like the healthy athletic girl that she is too. So, it must be some nationwide across the board Wallyworld thing much like the cold medicines requiring ID and getting signed for just about everywhere. The first time that I saw one of those little cards that you're supposed to take up to the pharmacist, I thought it was because they had sold out or something. I think it's absurd that just because ingredients in an OTC product are being used improperly that everyone else gets inconvenienced and penalized. Couldn't they just go through all of this if someone wanted a massive quantity?confused smiley

Antifreeze is fast becoming the drug of choice in DIY murders, yet it can still be bought at most any retail outlet. Gas and other accelerants are commonly used in arson, arsenic can be found in many pesticides and is sold most anywhere, and alcohol is one of the deadliest drugs known to man when abused and it's as easy to buy as a dozen eggs. This nanny state that The United States is becoming is just outright absurd! Are we going to eventually have to have the government approve each and every purchase that we make and only be "allowed" to purchase potentially "dangerous" items if we can PROVE it's for a legitimate use?Mr. T: I pitty tha foold It OFFENDS me to have to put up with this shit!angry smiley

actually, it's not just wal-mart-i bought canned air at target and got carded. before lechter's closed, they had a sign stating you had to have id to buy the canisters for whipped cream dispensers (just a hint-don't buy anything with whipped cream in restaurants).

and anti-freeze was a choice-they had to put something in it to make it unpalatable. on forensic foles, there was a "black widow" who murdered her cop husband for his pension by giving him jello laced with anti-freeze, which then had a sweet taste if ingested, and then murdered her fireman common law husband by putting the stuff in that guy's sweet tea.
December 13, 2010
kidlesskim
thom_c
kidlesskim

bouncing and laughing

Once it pops up on the database, then what legal right do they have to do anything about it? All I keep reading about is how meth use is on the rise, so they must be getting it somehow. Does anyone know what kind of a "high" it is that it's addictive immediately and next to impossible to kick? I am thinking that it must destroy the brain cells located in the "I don't give a shit" center of the brain, based on the actions of the addicted.confused smiley Other than perhaps cocaine, I can't think of any drug that is so awful in causing people to do crazy shit and then their not even giving a damn after they "sober up", if that's even possible with meth.

State laws vary but I believe in NV if you show up at a level that seems excessive the store is restricted by law from selling to you. So if you try and buy 5 boxes today and 5 boxes three day later you are restricted and that data base may (not sure) show up in police hands. If you notice the nice 100 tab bottles are no longer sold, just the high dollar boxes.

The best way I've found to deal with this is to buy 12 hour time release tablets. Then it's one tab every 12 hours two a day. Less to buy, store and deal with.
December 13, 2010
navi8orgirl
I loved those chalky things, and never smoked habitually (maybe when studying and had to stay awake, but no more than that.)

Anyone remember the cigarette gum that "smoked" when you blew on it?

Yup! grinning smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know, I know. "You were one once." I was a sperm once, but you don't see me wantin' to cuddle up to a fuckin' wankstain, do you? - John Constantine
December 14, 2010
What pisses me off about the pseudo is I have to blow my FSA since we will no longer be allowed to use them on OTC medication. I stockpile since the expiration is usually a couple of years down the road and I will use them all because in Texas, allergies are year round. Now I can't because I may be making meth in my bathroom.

It took the po po forever to bust the obvious meth lab next door in WA though I called them repeatedly when I caught them stealing my water (explained the high bill) from the outdoor spigot. "No, it is a little old lady who lives there." I told them there has not been a little old lady spotted in months but there is traffic with dubious characters at all hours. I finally saw the old lady when she was carted out by ambulance when they got busted.

But I can't buy more than two packages in a year's time without being flagged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
December 14, 2010
I am surprised that drug manufacturing companies haven't pulled the plug on making their product difficult to buy. It seems like they would have legal grounds too since there ARE other ways to monitor this than to refuse sales to or to deter people from buying their product due to the inconvenience. I stopped fooling with it quite some time ago due to the inconvenience and just use Benedryl instead. I have also noticed quite a few elderly people who seem confused by the whole thing and appear to think that they are just sold out, much like I did at first. It has BOUND to have negatively affected their sales. Why can't the various retail stores just call a hotline when someone buys multiple packs on a repeated basis and let the police follow them to their meth labs and bust them on site? This current bullshit doesn't seem to have slowed down the manufacture of meth, so what's the point?

December 14, 2010
kidlesskim
I am surprised that drug manufacturing companies haven't pulled the plug on making their product difficult to buy. It seems like they would have legal grounds too since there ARE other ways to monitor this than to refuse sales to or to deter people from buying their product due to the inconvenience. I stopped fooling with it quite some time ago due to the inconvenience and just use Benedryl instead. I have also noticed quite a few elderly people who seem confused by the whole thing and appear to think that they are just sold out, much like I did at first. It has BOUND to have negatively affected their sales. Why can't the various retail stores just call a hotline when someone buys multiple packs on a repeated basis and let the police follow them to their meth labs and bust them on site? This current bullshit doesn't seem to have slowed down the manufacture of meth, so what's the point?

So the gubmint can say that they are doing something about it, and the sheeple will eat it up without any questions.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
December 14, 2010
I just don't buy those medications anymore, unless I'm sneezing and wheezing so bad I don't have a choice. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way or have stopped buying them altogether. These restrictions have been in force for awhile, yet I doubt meth production has decreased.

As for the canned air, it varies with the store here. Radio Shack carded me for canned air, but Office Depot never has. I hope that doesn't change. It's not really new, considering I can remember back in the 90s when some auto supply stores had signs up saying they wouldn't sell freon to anyone under 18. It's getting to the point where we won't be able to buy anything without being tracked.

JD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login