Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Carol believes she can always pick which female staff have children

Posted by KABA 
Carol believes she can always pick which female staff have children
December 14, 2010
Get your high boots on to wade through this steaming pile of BS. And maybe take a Xanax or two before continuing.

Why bosses are right to distrust women who don't want children... by a VERY outspoken mother (and ex-boss)

Much as I like to trumpet the importance of a woman's right to choose all things at all times, there's one choice I simply cannot understand: the choice of an otherwise sane and healthy woman not to have children.

If a would-be mother is a singleton of 40 who decides to have a baby without a partner, I might wish she'd thought of it sooner and prepared for it better - but I understand.

If she's half of a lesbian couple who 'borrows' the wherewithal, I might cross my fingers that the child is not teased at school - but I understand. Even if she's a 66-year- old pregnant pensioner, threatening to turn motherhood into a freak show, I might (indeed, I do) think she's monstrously selfish and dangerously wrong - but again, more or less, I understand.

Yet if she says she hasn't a shred of maternal feeling in her, moreover, if she says she would prefer to concentrate on her career and that a child would only get in the way of it, then my head might acknowledge her right to do so. But my heart whispers: 'Lady, you're weird.'

It was welcome news, therefore, to discover this week that I am not alone. Research conducted over six years shows that far from bosses and colleagues always being suspicious of a working mother, the opposite is becoming true: it is the childless woman who is regarded as cold and odd.

As a result, it is these single-track careerists who are increasingly likely to be vilified, refused jobs and denied promotion because many employers believe them to lack what the study calls 'an essential humanity'. And I know exactly what they mean.

In the little hothouse of my own trade as a hack, I play a game with myself. Reading all the other female scribblers, sometimes with grudging admiration and sometimes none at all, I try to guess from their expression of their world view whether or not they are mothers.

I haven't - yet - been wrong. Now, with MPs so much in the headlines, I've extended the game and started to guess about the women among them, too.

As far as I can tell, my score is also pretty high there - even though it's just a feeling. On both sides of the political divide, as with the writers, it's not what MPs say or do, so much as how they go about it.

'Mothers bring something extra'

And if that touch of 'essential humanity' - or its absence - colours such notably tough professions, it's hardly surprising that employers are starting to notice that the same applies across the spectrum of workplaces.
Of course, we need not be silly about it.

Nobody wishes to see a female soldier in combat with a six-week-old infant in one arm and a rifle in the other.
Or a high-flier working 20-hour days while still breast-feeding. Or the mother of a small brood taking on any job of such erratic hours that she cannot promise them when or even if she'll be home.

But most jobs aren't like that - and most children don't stay babies for long.

Besides which, in my experiences both as a colleague and an employer, I have found that mothers almost always bring something extra to the job, to the benefit of all.

It's not the mothers, for a start, who are going to turn up late and hungover after a night on the razz; they'll have been up, dressed and alert for hours, having cooked a family breakfast and delivered their children to school. On time.
It's not the mothers, usually, who run the office bitch-fest.

They're not there to compete for the attentions of the male executives; they're there to get out of the house; they're there because they genuinely enjoy some adult company; and they're there because they have mouths to feed other than their own and shoes to buy for someone else's feet.

Two-thirds of working mothers, a recent survey found, could not provide for the children they love in the manner they would wish if they lost their jobs. So there's incentive for you.

They will, it is true, snatch time off for poorly children and Christmas carol services. And it's true they will insist that, in return for arriving on the dot of 9am, they must also leave on the dot of 5pm.

Valuing assets in your staff

But rarely have I encountered a mother who did not offer to make up time lost, often in lunch hours. As for leaving on time, put enough mothers together in one workplace and you'll get rid of the ghastly ethos of 'presenteeism', whereby people vie for plaudits based solely on how late - albeit often uselessly - they hang around the office.

The prioritising that may baffle other people is a cinch for a woman who has spent years juggling a household. Negotiating skills? A request for 10 per cent off an overdue invoice is nothing to a woman who has had to broker a deal on Britain's Got Talent versus bedtime.

When it comes to emergencies, if you have run all the way to a clinic with a terrified toddler vomiting down your neck then, trust me, a package delayed in transit is a piece of cake. And if those are the tangibles, the intangibles - the 'essential humanity' - are more important still.

You cannot be a mother without knowing something about selflessness, compassion, generosity, commitment, fierce loyalty and plain hard work. You cannot - surely - be a boss and not value assets such as those in your staff.

Nor is it the boss who pays the price for the extras a mother brings with her; she's the one who pays for that.
Enough reams have been written about the long hours of slog it takes to run a home and hold down a job at the same time. Yet still we keep doing it because we want our work, our independence and our money.

But, more than all the things we want, we actually need our children; they complete us as women, they are our light and our love and our legacy.

We feel desperately sorry for those who yearn for children they cannot have; the unwilling barren, if you will. But when we meet a woman who chooses her childlessness in the belief that there is something out there worth more, we smile politely even while - once again - our guts whisper: 'Lady, you're weird.'

So three cheers for the employers who are catching on, the ones who don't want to people their workforces with the cold, the calculating, the sad and the mad. The only question is: what took you so long?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1185128/Why-bosses-right-distrust-women-dont-want-children--VERY-outspoken-mother-ex-boss.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk the path of life to my own rhythm, my own beat-if you don't like it, step off and find your own damn song!
Re: Carol believes she can always pick which female staff have children
December 14, 2010
I think we've torn this one apart already, but it's always good to re-read.

From another article from this double-talking writer:

For years the sisterhood has moaned that if only more women could smash through that glass ceiling, if only more women got the top jobs and if only we all had women bosses, our working environment would be a far warmer, caring, sharing place to be.

Now a university study finally proves that the opposite is true.

In fact, women who work for other women suffer more from both psychological and physical ailments - depression, insomnia and headaches among them - and are more likely to end up embroiled in workplace conflict.

So much for a "warmer, caring workplace with other mommies," you cunt.
December 14, 2010
is this "new"? because if it is, it's ripped off from somewhere else because I seem to remember seeing this before. It was either posted to one of the CF LJ's or was posted here during the period of time that got "lost". Thank you for re-posting it though. You are correct that it is a steaming pile of BS self-aggrandizement with a generous side-portion of jealousy and buyer's remorse for dessert.

:BS

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
December 14, 2010
What a complete load of hooey. Employers are looking for people to do a JOB, not for some emotional component in their personality. I'd bet good money that this bitch would think I have kids if she met me. I apparently come across as very "motherly" to people. Just for fun a few years ago I applied for some jobs just to see if I was still attractive in my profession and had one prospective employer tell me he was very impressed with me because I was well-spoken, wrote a follow-up letter, and had lots of experience. Never did my CF status get brought up. It was about what I knew and what I could do on the job. If there are businesses hiring on the basis of someone's "motherly" so-called qualities, they won't be in business for very long. Business is about making money. You want people who are there every day doing the damned job. Not people whose minds are always on little Poopleigh's cough, little Bratford's soccer game, or little Shitturd's recital.
December 14, 2010
I don't have enough time in the day to rip Carol a new asshole, so I'll just summarize my review of her article:

Most "childless by choice" women don't go around discussing it among breeders, so other than perhaps some Cosmo articles I can't imagine on what or from whom she draws her ignorant and ridiculous conclusions. It's mothers who more often than not are the office shit starter more so than any other group of people too. They don't do their share, they expect special consideration, and they do NOT "make up" their hours on their precious lunch breaks or on the weekends either. However, she got the part right about leaving at 5PM "on the dot". They are ALWAYS late due to a sick kyd, missed school bus, or due to a baybee sitter not showing up. I have also seen PLENTY of hungover moos in the workplace and more than that who make it through the day on Xanax or Valium. Moos are petty, jealous, and always at the front of the herd to be the office hall monitor. angrily flogging with a whip

It's absurd to think that moos make better employees because of all of these lofty and altruistic reasons too like "other" mouths to feed than their own. Judging from most of their wide load asses, they are doing PLENTY of grazing and chewing their cud and can be seen feeding at the trough at most any given time too because moos ALWAYS have a Twinkie in one hand and a Guzzler in the other. Deciding whether a kyd watches TV or goes to bed, juggling a household, and racing to a doctor with vomit running down her arms, etc.........has NOTHING to do with running an office and in fact, those examples just list two additional reasons why she might be late or miss work entirely. I have also noticed MORE moos vying for the male bosses' and co-workers' attention too and they (the moos) say that it's because they still want to be found attractive! UNchilded women go to work to do a job, NOT to get some sort of fucked up emotional support and kudos from male passersby.:BS

I too can pick out an UNchilded woman in an office setting. She'll be the one who isn't paying any attention to the moo next to her who is ALWAYS on the phone barking out orders to everyone from her husband to her kids, baybee sitters, daycare, pediatrician's offices, etc.........SHE will be the one working while the moo is sneaking time on the company dime to peck out bullshit like THIS article. She will also be the better dressed and better looking one as well, in comparison to the harried and generally tired looking and tubby moomare. This "Carol" is so full of shit that it's not even funny. She thinks that childfree women are "weird"? Well, I happen to think that to believe that shitting out loaves because they "need" a self replicant to "complete" them as women and then to call the loaf their "legacy" is weird as hell.:crz

She can't even write an article about moos VS childfree women in the workplace without going on and on about her selfless moo martyrdom, the loaves being her legacy, how those kyds come first talk and whatnot, and speaking ill of her perceived "competition" as a whole without ANY evidence other than parroted cliches about childfree women being "cold, calculating, sad, and mad". Her attitude can be described by those SAME adjectives! "Give ME ME ME the job because I am caring and nice and most importantly, I have a LEGACY to feed and get shod"! eye rolling smiley:BS

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
December 14, 2010
The entire article is garbage. Really, when have you ever met a mother who's on time to the office or contributed anything worthwhile while she is there? There are very few mothers at my job who make good employees.

The overwhelming majority of them are late every single day, call in sick all the time, exhaust their vacation time before school lets out for the year and do nothing but personal business while there.

Had one today who spent her day typing her Christmas list, Christmas dinner place cards and her normal grocery list. That's all she did.
December 14, 2010
I remember reading this article awhile back. It pissed me off royally, but I was really glad to see Mrs. Sarler's asshole get ripped doublewide by the dozens of angry commenters that disagreed with her ridiculous notions of childfree women being cold, sad, mad, calculating partiers.
She talks about how being a mother makes a person more compassionate, but this article PROVES that isn't the case?? Downgrading her fellow sisters because they don't have kids. What if they can't have kids but they don't want to discuss the details, so they say they're childfree? What if they plain dislike kids, but love animals and help others, like the elderly? What if they are caring for a disabled spouse or family member?
What made it even worse for me was when she mentioned that mothers need jobs more than CF women because they need to put shoes on kyd's feet. What about MY feet? Don't they deserve shoes? Because I have no kyds, does that mean I"m supposed to run around bare-footed, starving and live in a box by an underpass?
So much for compassion, Ms. Sarler, so much for bringing that extra component of what you call "humanity" to the workplace.
I can pick out the mothers in my workplace by their shoddy clothes (gym shoes in a corporate office), greasy ponytails, asses that look like the Sears Tower fell down sideways, a candy buffet larger than their outbox, and the ubiquitous 2-liter insulated mug from 7-11.
But, more than all the things we want, we actually need our children; they complete us as women, they are our light and our love and our legacy.

Poor, brain-damaged moos. Walking around, thinking that their uterine detritus is a legacy. Something other than a biological imperative to continue the species.

Just like the raccoon moo which infested my attic some years back. She too dropped a load of 'light', 'love', and 'legacy' before I called the exterminator.

Let's take a moment to pity the moocunt. As the gravitational force pulls her prolapsed babyoven (with a magnitude equal to her fat ass multiplied by her glacial speed), a cascading force pulls the last 3 remaining brain cells to her expansive udders.

Poor thing.
December 14, 2010
Breeder Cunt
As a result, it is these single-track careerists who are increasingly likely to be vilified, refused jobs and denied promotion

Where I come from, that is called DISCRIMINATION. And also mobbing/psychological harassment (the "vilified").

I have found that mothers almost always bring something extra to the job

Yeah - extra WORK for everyone else! And extra DRAMA! eye rolling smiley

It's not the mothers, usually, who run the office bitch-fest.

OH YES IT IS !!! (at EVERY office I've ever worked)

they're there because they have mouths to feed other than their own and shoes to buy for someone else's feet.

FUCK YOU !!! So single CF/CL workers should starve? I also have 2 cats to feed (including one who needs daily medication), thank you very much, you fucking selfish evil bitch! angry flipping off

put enough mothers together in one workplace and you'll get rid of the ghastly ethos of 'presenteeism', whereby people vie for plaudits based solely on how late - albeit often uselessly - they hang around the office.

Oh, right - I always looooooved to stay late for no reason. It wasn't because I was overworked, oh no. And told to suck it since "it's not like you have anyone to go home too" (true quote). Christ, I was at the office on a Sunday 2 days after my Mom died because my inbox was overflowing and I was going to be off for the funeral and all that fun stuff that week. angry smiley
I had a job at a vet clinic where the entire staff was comprised of CF women. The boss loved it cause she never lost anyone for months on end to mat leave, had to deal with lateness or days off due to brat nonsense. She gave me a week off when I had my tubal!waving hellolarious
December 15, 2010
kidsuck
I had a job at a vet clinic where the entire staff was comprised of CF women. The boss loved it cause she never lost anyone for months on end to mat leave, had to deal with lateness or days off due to brat nonsense. She gave me a week off when I had my tubal!waving hellolarious

That must have been heaven! I have NEVER worked anywhere that wasn't filled with moos and/or mothers.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
December 15, 2010
Two-thirds of working mothers, a recent survey found, could not provide for the children they love in the manner they would wish if they lost their jobs.

So one-third of 'working' mothers out there don't need to work at all. Gee that comes as such a fucking surprise I'm not sure I can pick up my jaw from the floor. You could have never guessed they don't need their jobs, the way they can hardly be asked to turn up on time, they spend their entire day stirring coffee and making personal phone calls, decorating their desks like mini-school-pinboards, they can't stay out of the bathroom, and they can't go five minutes without turning to a lucky nearby colleague/victim and introduce yet another tedious monologue about stupid boring shitsack children.

Look, mommies are only ever at work to take half (but only half) their shrunken minds off their babies for an hour or so. Work, to them, is just 'getting out of the house' and nothing more. And judging by the quality of their work, it shows. Asking mommies to put in a whole 8 hours of work a day is like asking a cow to walk on its hind legs.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly

When it comes to emergencies, if you have run all the way to a clinic with a terrified toddler vomiting down your neck then, trust me, a package delayed in transit is a piece of cake
As she puts it, she is a "hack" (aww bless, she's got herself a little writing job).
So to her a package lost will be business to business, papers that she can resend to people who understand.
That is a piece of cake.

Now in my job those packages cost money, and were sent to (usually) moos. How do we know they are moos? Because of course we made their kyd cry by not getting it there in 24 hours, and they just have to point this out with aggression and threats essential humanity.

Also, and here's the thing that they don't want to know, not all of us are career driven.
My job is my life, but that's because I get to stay at home all day and play with toys. I do it because it's fun and I enjoy getting paid for it. I'm not that bothered that I'm earning bugger all.
I have a job I enjoy and you don't nyah, nyah, nyah. Try better planning and maybe you won't have to be so clearly jealous of your unchilded workmates.
December 15, 2010
I also remember reading this one before. Perhaps it was on TCFL back in the pre-bp days. See: Oh seriously... what the heck????, Slate "Childless" article (the one I remembered), Those weird CFers and Article - childfree women vilified by bosses.

One of our favorite bloggers also addressed the subject, as did another CF blogger and also this CF blogger and this one too. I do believe Carol made a few enemies.

There are also some comments in the original article: Wow. I can't decide whether to laugh at you or be offended by your stupidity. Get off your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself.
December 15, 2010
Miss_Hannigan NLI
I can pick out the mothers in my workplace by their shoddy clothes (gym shoes in a corporate office), greasy ponytails, asses that look like the Sears Tower fell down sideways, a candy buffet larger than their outbox, and the ubiquitous 2-liter insulated mug from 7-11.

Rubber flip flops. You know, the type you wear in the showers at the gym? I have seen dozens in my building on the way to my office. They are usually the ones who take "business casual" to a whole new (low) level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
December 15, 2010
I hate trash like that. I work for CPS. I save loaves from their ovens' abuse and neglect. I am "weird" because I do not want a child of my own? Really? Selfish, how? I am not bringing another person onto the planet when there are too many to begin with and most are being killed and abused by the people who placed them here.
December 15, 2010
mumofsixbirds
She talks about how being a mother makes a person more compassionate, but this article PROVES that isn't the case?? Downgrading her fellow sisters because they don't have kids.

Great point, proving yet again that moos are THE most hypocritical creatures on the planet.

blather
You cannot be a mother without knowing something about selflessness, compassion, generosity, commitment, fierce loyalty and plain hard work. You cannot - surely - be a boss and not value assets such as those in your staff.

All this reminds of a great post on this board a few months ago. I think it was by Amethyst. It hit the nail on the head regarding moo hypocrisy and the whole "parenting makes you less selfish" when it actually makes them far MORE selfish. I've looked for the post but can't find it. Amethyst, was that you, and if so do you have it or know where it is?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
December 15, 2010
I always wondered why CF people are often characterized as party animals when we are disproportionately introverts. I suspect that a good many breeders once swilled beer like it was going out of style, and staggered into work hung over during their early 20s. Do they assume that's what we do with our childfree lives because that's what they want to be doing, or because they lack the imagination to envision anything outside of their own experience?

My childfree adult years are like nothing they might have experienced before they had children, my early 20s were quite different from their pre-child years, and even as a child I was different from my peers. Breeders cannot understand me because they have never experienced what I have experienced, and lack the ability to even envision my life in even an abstract way, let alone in an empathetic manner. (An ability to display empathy for, and understand the position of someone who isn't 'like you' is, in my opinion, one of the differences between parents and breeders.)
December 15, 2010
Incidentally, this is not how male bosses seem to think.

From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
December 15, 2010
yurble
I always wondered why CF people are often characterized as party animals when we are disproportionately introverts. I suspect that a good many breeders once swilled beer like it was going out of style, and staggered into work hung over during their early 20s. Do they assume that's what we do with our childfree lives because that's what they want to be doing, or because they lack the imagination to envision anything outside of their own experience?

My childfree adult years are like nothing they might have experienced before they had children, my early 20s were quite different from their pre-child years, and even as a child I was different from my peers. Breeders cannot understand me because they have never experienced what I have experienced, and lack the ability to even envision my life in even an abstract way, let alone in an empathetic manner. (An ability to display empathy for, and understand the position of someone who isn't 'like you' is, in my opinion, one of the differences between parents and breeders.)

Well said. You've described me in many ways. I've never been a party person, which is one reason I often had trouble making friends in college because I didn't enjoy going to bars, partying, drinking, etc., it just wasn't me. I don't like noisy, crowded places, especially when people there are drunk and acting stupid. I've known young people who lived with their parents who complained about how they were restricted with curfews, going out, etc., and looked forward to being on their own so they wouldn't have these rules I on the other hand, looked forward to having my own place so I could stay in when I wanted to because when I lived with my parents and sister, they gave me a bad time about not wanting to go out much and even thought staying in too much might warp my personality or something so there was always pressure to go out whenever my sister did.

I have never staggered into work hung over, even in my 20s. I've always strived to do a good job, even when I've had bosses who made that difficult to impossible. As children, I know I was different from my peers, and many others here were too. Many of us had it difficult because of our differences, and it looks like we still do with our CFdom. Times are changing though, since households without children are on the rise. One day we, may be the majority, who knows?

JD
yurble
I always wondered why CF people are often characterized as party animals when we are disproportionately introverts.

Exactly this. Being an extroverted woman gets you more male attention, and therefore more likely to get knocked up.

yurble
I suspect that a good many breeders once swilled beer like it was going out of style, and staggered into work hung over during their early 20s. Do they assume that's what we do with our childfree lives because that's what they want to be doing, or because they lack the imagination to envision anything outside of their own experience?

Again, exactly this. "If only I didn't have this squalling burden, I could go back to whoring it up at Slappy's Tavern"
Interesting, because I have played the 'is she cf or not' game, too, though , not obsessively or often the way the moo-thing who wrote that article claims to, because, well....lol

I was usually pretty accurrate in picking out the childed,because there are many clues Their perpetually exhausted, disengaged, washed out expressions. Their usually sloppy , careless( but not in a good ,'too busy with fun or goals to give a shit 'way)attire. Their lack of interesting or varied conversation.They behave like they are resigned to, condemned to, a fate they no longer have meny choices to alter.

Moos lack what I can only describe as an essential humanity, a kind of bright eyed, interested , alert-mindedness found in childfree women who have dreams bigger than a full 8 hours sleep, and plans that go beyond the next episode of Layest Stupid Reality Show before ,if married,faking illness to avoid sex with their husband in hopes of achieving that dream.

Of course, most moos ruin this game within 20 minutes by either bringing up their spawn , or asking if I have any(so they can fake interest for a few minutes before babbling about their spawn, probably).
December 15, 2010
I think the fact that she's an "ex-boss" says it all. Either she couldn't hack it and chose to get out, or she sucked at her job and was pushed out.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
CrabCake
All this reminds of a great post on this board a few months ago. I think it was by Amethyst. It hit the nail on the head regarding moo hypocrisy and the whole "parenting makes you less selfish" when it actually makes them far MORE selfish. I've looked for the post but can't find it. Amethyst, was that you, and if so do you have it or know where it is?

Is this it? If so, it's from the Govenor Candidate Uses Her Moo Status for Votes thread on October 24, which appears to have been deleted. The title shows up in Google, but the content is gone. I saved Amethyst's quotation on a thumb drive.:

Amethyst
"Because I think when you are actively involved in raising children, it shows you know how to sacrifice yourself for the well being of others," she said.... This quote, by a single mother (aka Big Fail).

waving hellolarious

OTHERS?! Raising children is patently NOT about "sacrificing yourself for others". It's about spending all your time and resources on different versions of YOU. Because YOU cant get enough of YOU. And so you think the world is not complete unless it has several different versions of YOU to share around.

Parenting is the number one biggest excuse in the world not to raise a finger to help anyone, in any way, at all, your whole life. Parents are not very likely to help others outside of their own family -- they just don't. They think that buying lots of christmas gifts for their toddler is somehow equivalent to real giving -- meaning dropping £50 into the charity bucket for the homeless shelter or volunteering for meals on wheels runs. Come Halloween, each and every one of 'em makes sure their child receives back at least as much candy as is given out by them on the day -- because hey, they don't want to be ripped off, right? Yeah, they'll fund-raise... for their child's school trip. Yeah, they'll bake cakes... for their child's scout troop. Yeah, they'll take a handful of underpriviledged inner city kids camping overnight in the country... so long as their children get to go too.

And so elections. Voting parents into public office is exactly the same thing as hiring them in the workplace, in my opinion: they're a liability. Like damaged goods. Their liability is off the scale when they're new parents, and it decreases over time but never quite disappears. I won't bother expatiating the reasons why they stink as employees (there are so many whole threads dedicated to that). Suffice to say that they know their get-out clauses and they're not afraid to use them when the going gets tough. And 20 years experience of living a narrow, myopic, cloistered existence where the only 'tabled' meetings are over the changing table and the kitchen table is NOT adequate real-world training for people who need to make broad-minded and tough leadership decisions.

Oh, AND be called to account -- by other adults -- over those decisions. Not only is that a completely alien concept to parents, but something to which they are actually hostile. However it is they treated their own children when their authority was questioned is exactly the same response the colleagues and voters will get. One more word from Mr Treasury and he's going to have to spend the next hour of debate sitting on the naughty step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I treat my body as a temple, Laverne. You have chosen to treat yours as an amusement park."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login