Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: Actresses without children can't play mothers

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: Article: Actresses without children can't play mothers
January 30, 2011
And on the other hand, we need more actresses who play childfree women, too. smile rolling left righteyes2
January 30, 2011
herbalgeek
Yeah, kinda like how Patty Duke had to have her fuckin' eyes poked out to play Helen Keller, and how someone had to kill both of Aileen Quinn's parents so that she'd make a convincing Annie. sarcastic clapping Dumbass.

POST OF THE DAY!
January 30, 2011
Going back to the OP, this is just another cry for affirmation that a woman's role as a mother (in real life) is so goddamned amazingly special and irreplaceable.

Meanwhile the rest of the world reads this, farts and wonders what's for dinner.
January 30, 2011
Miss_Hannigan
Going back to the OP, this is just another cry for affirmation that a woman's role as a mother (in real life) is so goddamned amazingly special and irreplaceable.

Meanwhile the rest of the world reads this, farts and wonders what's for dinner.

Mr. T: I pitty tha foolhankyou
January 30, 2011
zatoth
holy fuck! look at all the unqualified people playing elves and hobbits in lord of the rings!!!!

waving hellolarious

So much for Twilight! (And good riddance.)
January 30, 2011
People (namely, teh spayshul snowflakes) are going to look back on this baybee (actually a moommy) craze with disbelief and contempt, I predict. They are largely going to be childfree, as well.

Testable hypothesis!
Blimey.. What about the Munchkins of Oz? Do you have to cut yourself off at the knees & develop a wee squeaky voice?
And the Wicked Witch Of The West? Do you have to feign cruelty to small terriers called Toto?

I once played a very convincing nun in a play at University. Let's just say that poverty,chastity & obedience are 3 things I ain't too good at.

This woman is so full of her own importance I'm surprised she hasn't disappeared up her own arse long since.
It's more of the "look at meeeee, I'm a mommy, I'm so so so so special, and only mommmmmiees can truly understand how very SPECIAL we are. Aren't we? Oh yessss??? I'm special, aren't I?? Look at meeeeeee."

Stupid, boring breeder bitch.
January 30, 2011
Zzelda
Wasn't "Anna Karenina" about some angsty slut who cannot find a lover?

And if you follow self important moo logic, only Anna Marie Stickel can play her. waving hellolarious

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
January 30, 2011
The more I think about these types of comments such as "only a mom" can do whatever, I believe that it's that they honestly believe that shitting a loaf is SO special that it's the glow that can been seen around the world. I have known some real wallflowers with few things to say or contribute and then they shit a loaf and suddenly they change into this over bearing, order giving type of person, for lack of a better description. I suppose it's some sort of ego booster to be the boss of a two year old, but when I have been around women who do this it always makes me laugh. They STILL have nothing to contribute or say and their new "self esteem" that spawned from becoming a moo is absurd. I don't guess they realize that people are laughing behind their backs when they start up with the "moo voice" that they can get along with that smug all knowing look that ONLY a moo can get on her face.

The topic of conversation can be about anything at all and not specifically kid related and all of the self appointed omnipotent moos will chime in with the, "As a mother........" bullshit. I get sick to death of it and at NO time did it bother me more than when I was involved in school related crap with my step daughter from a previous marriage years ago. UP UNTIL they found out that I hadn't actually shat a loaf, they were all like little sheeple lining up behind me on just about everything and most issues,which quite frankly was annoying in and of itself. Suddenly though, when they would discover that my oven had remained loafless, their attitude took a complete 180. "Well, if you were a mother............" was the standard opening sentence when they disagreed with me from that point on. My point on this part of it is that IF they do NOT know that someone is loafless and they THINK that they are, then they can't tell the fucking difference unless they are told otherwise.

Not that I would want to waste my time pretending to have shit loaves, unlike some OTHER people who enjoy pretending to be childfree when childed, I am ABSOLUTELY certain that I could make a bunch of moocows believe that I was the shitter of loaves and have the admiration and respect of each and every one of them in ANY child related event or conversation. They are gullible, easily manipulated, and are completely in awe of the fact that they have experienced the miracle of loaf shitting and belong to their stupid little moo club. However, since being a moo or pretending to be one would be DREADFULLY boring and time consuming, I'd rather not. I am quite certain though that it could easily be done by most any of us.

I think it'd be funny as hell if one of their moo gurus turned out to be UNchilded, or better yet, childfree. These stupid moo-cunts wouldn't know the "real thing" if it bit them on the ass. BEING a superior moo is all in their heads and SO is the perception of an UNchilded actress not being able to successfully play a moo character.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
January 30, 2011
honestly, i think it is more difficult to play the mentally ill than it is a mother.
January 30, 2011
kidlesskim
I agree! Also, have there ever been any actual Native Americans cast as Indians in ANY movies or films?confused smiley

"Last of the Mohicans"
Russel Means (Chingachgook) - Oglala/Sioux
Eric Scwhieg (Uncas) - Inuit
Wes Studi (Magua) - Cherokee

In the past, casting has been laughable. IIRC, even Rock Hudson played an Indian. Joey Bishop did as well, but at least that was a comedy ("Texas Across the River" - hard to find, hilarious as hell to watch).

Kate Winslet has kids (not sure who I'm replying to confused smiley )

kidlesskim
One thing though that stands out to me is actors from other American regions who play Southern characters using an exaggerated and unbelievable accent. Now that should be against the law

Oh lord. The women try to sound like Scarlett O 'Hara ("fiddle-dee-dee") and the men ape Larry the Cable Guy or Jeff Foxworthy. If only they knew how stupid they sound.
January 30, 2011
So does that mean Sir Anthony Hopkins is in fact a serial killer who eats his victims?

What about the entire cast of ER? I didn't know they all had their medical degrees.

And L.A. Law, of course they all passed the bar before they were cast.

That's taking method acting too far. LMAO!

That has to be the dumbest fucking thing every said about the field of acing.
January 31, 2011
Don't forget the Father of the Bride films where Steve Martin and Diane Keaton played parents, and neither of them had children. I think they pulled it off pretty well.

JD
January 31, 2011
Uh, let's keep the criticism where it belongs: on narcissistic moomies and not on great literature. Anna Karenina was a devoted mother to her young son; her husband was proper and eminent, but cold and smug. She had ONE affair, with a dashing soldier. Her husband threw her out of the house but refused to free her to marry the soldier; when the soldier tired of her, she committed suicide.

I don't think one affair makes her a hyperslut. Indeed, Tolstoy criticizes the double standard of his time: one of the men who asserts that Anna had to pay a price for her sin was himself a rabbit who bonked Moscow.
learnernotlurker
Uh, let's keep the criticism where it belongs: on narcissistic moomies and not on great literature. Anna Karenina was a devoted mother to her young son; her husband was proper and eminent, but cold and smug. She had ONE affair, with a dashing soldier. Her husband threw her out of the house but refused to free her to marry the soldier; when the soldier tired of her, she committed suicide.

I don't think one affair makes her a hyperslut. Indeed, Tolstoy criticizes the double standard of his time: one of the men who asserts that Anna had to pay a price for her sin was himself a rabbit who bonked Moscow.

That is typical of period literature though...the woman always pays. I don't consider her hyperslut.

I do, however, stand by my assessment of applying moo logic in that only Anna Marie Stickel can play her.
January 31, 2011
I wonder if the actress in the OP would agree that child actors should not exist because they lack the life experience to portray much of anything.

article
The 75-year-old, veteran of Coronation Street, Dinnerladies and Upstairs Downstairs, said women who don't have children lack authenticity on screen.

I wish she would've provided some specific examples.

article
"People will shoot me for saying this but I see people playing mothers who haven't had a child and - I don't know - I think you kind of have to have been there. Because it's a gut thing, isn't it?" she told the Radio Times.

So she must realize to some extent how full of shit she sounds if she knows that people will be irritated by her comment.

Dorisan
kidlesskim
I agree! Also, have there ever been any actual Native Americans cast as Indians in ANY movies or films?confused smiley

"Last of the Mohicans"
Russel Means (Chingachgook) - Oglala/Sioux
Eric Scwhieg (Uncas) - Inuit
Wes Studi (Magua) - Cherokee

In the past, casting has been laughable. IIRC, even Rock Hudson played an Indian. Joey Bishop did as well, but at least that was a comedy ("Texas Across the River" - hard to find, hilarious as hell to watch).

Mr. T: I pitty tha foolongue2 I watched that movie because Alain Delon was in it. The portrayal of Indians was one of many reasons I had a hard time getting into it. A white guy in a black wig and face paint feigning a stereotypical accent just doesn't cut it.

As far as native actors go, Canadian cinema has been good about casting First Nations people in the roles of tribal members, although they often pretend to belong to a different tribe than they actually do and they frequently play into common tropes. Adam Beach, Michael Greyeyes, and Gary Farmer are First Nations actors who have been cast as Indians in American films since the 80s and 90s.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I treat my body as a temple, Laverne. You have chosen to treat yours as an amusement park."
May 28, 2017
I cannot even begin to imagine the difficulties directors must face finding people who are willing to play murder or accident victims.

(Bump because I was re-reading this thread and why not?)
May 28, 2017
Actress Alley Mills played Norma Arnold, Kevin's mom in "The Wonder Years" TV series. But Mills was never married and had no kids through most of the TV series. She did get married in April of 1993, a few months before the TV series finished its successful run, although she was never more than a step-mother to some of her husband's (actor Orson Bean, who was more than 20 years older than her) children from a prior marriage.
May 31, 2017
@#$%&
Love the first comment though: So actresses who haven’t killed anybody can’t play murderers?

That was my first thought. I do love that the author subtly pointed out that this bitch was saying Helen Mirren can't act well enough to play a mother.

(OT in reply to zatoth's post-- Graham Greene is awesome. I love the segment on the Red Green Show when Dances with Wolves was mentioned and he said something like, "That native guy was okay, but the rest of it...a real snoozefest.")
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login