Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Even if you hate sports...you have to see this...

Posted by Feh 
Even if you hate sports...you have to see this...
September 05, 2006
I hate sports and physical activity. I've often said I am so lazy I often approach a state of rigor mortis...however a couple years ago, I discovered a sport that was so fun and empowering, I had to be a part of it. That sport is All-Womens Flat-Track Roller Derby.

This is a move that some girls in Seattle did at the big invitational tournament this past weekend. Seriously, even if you hate sports, you should still see this...I think it's amazing
http://www.ratcityrollergirls.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9916
If you scroll down you can see an animation of the move in action.

Support your local Roller Derby!
I love I mean love roller derby. I used to watch the LA Thunderbirds and they had an asskicking women on there named Skinny Minny Miller. The women are brutal!!!
That looked insanely cool! Is #1 "whipping" #2 just so she'll go faster, or is #2 being aimed at someone else? Also, when you say you "had to be a part of it" - do you mean that you PLAY?! That seems really dangerous, Feh! It also seems like it'd provide a helluva good rush... But still, the danger...

*I'm totally wishing I had the she-balls to do something like that...
Re: Even if you hate sports...you have to see this...
September 11, 2006
The whips are usually for the jammers (who blast through the pack to score the points) to go faster once they get out of the pack. The more times they can get through the pack, the more potential they have to rack up the points. You can whip a player into an opposing player, but that's not usually necessicary.

I do play roller derby and it is AWESOME. It's really not too often in life you can throw your whole weight at another person in skates, knock them over and not get arrested. It's not really any more dangerous than rugby (which has fewer pads), hockey (which has sharp blades strapped to the feet) or football (which has bigger, heavier players). We wear mouth gards, helmets, elbow and knee pads, and wrist guards. I wear glasses so I also have prescription sports goggles.
September 13, 2006
Here is an article from the Orlando Weekly re: roller derby:

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/features/story.asp?id=10961

Anyone remember roller disco from the early Eighties???
September 14, 2006
Good article!! You should totally go see a bout, India. It's a hoot!
Heh...I remember Roller Disco from the mid 70's. Now it's called jam skating, has more breakdance type moves and is totally awesome to watch.
September 15, 2006
I used to go to the skating rink over ten years ago. I'd love to do it again but think I may get hurt even though it is regular skating and not roller derby. I have health insurance at work but a large deductable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login