Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What other life choice "bingoes" do you get?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: What other life choice "bingoes" do you get?
June 17, 2012
I used to indulge in a certain substance, and I don't anymore. I haven't now for a couple of years, and I'm happy with my decision, and I won't do it anymore. When it comes up in conversations with new people, I'll always open up to them that I personally don't want to indulge (but that I used to and had plenty of fun back in the day), and they always get really defensive about why they do, as if they have to defend their use of said substance. I have no problem with people who choose to indulge, but I just don't want to myself and want to make it clear from the beginning that I won't be participating. I'm very "live and let live," but it seems like a lot of people who do indulge aren't. smile rolling left righteyes2 Funny how the respect for choices can't go both ways for so many people. sarcastic clapping To me it's in the same spirit as the breeder bingoes. They can't stand someone who decides to make a different choice from theirs. I don't understand why people who are using substances, whether it's drinking or the one I mentioned, can't just tolerate when others don't want to indulge. I've also never been a big drinker, and I've only been "really drunk" a few times in my life. It was enough for me, and now I never drink specifically to get drunk. You'd think I'm from Mars or something because of this. tongue sticking out smiley

To add, I also don't like to hang out with co-workers outside of work, even if I get along with them in the work setting. On principle for me, it's a boundary I wish to set between my personal life and work. I don't want one to bleed into the other as much as I can possibly avoid it. Most of my co-workers are into partying and I've been invited to a few social outings, mostly with them prodding me that they want to see how I am when I'm drunk, because I seem cool at work. saying 'wtf' I understand the need in a highly professional job to go to work-related social functions, but I work in fucking fast food, and I want nothing to do with that place or the people there during my days off. I have an awesome husband and plenty of real friends to spend time with on my off-time, people I've had meaningful friendships with for years. These are friends I rarely get to see anyway due in part to my reclusive nature, and due in part to the fact that real, adult life makes it hard to coordinate get-togethers as frequently as we'd all like. Still, when I DO get out and socialize, I'd rather it be with people who mean a lot to me than with my co-irkers. tongue sticking out smiley I get chided to go out drinking and partying with these people outside of work, and to bring my "old man" with me, and he's also not a drinker and partier. Me and him have almost nothing in common with my co-irkers, and we'd much rather spend our free time doing meaningful things for us. Most of them are OK people AT work, but not people I would want to hang out with in my precious free-time.
June 17, 2012
I probably already posted something similar in the first few pages in this thread, but I'm sick of it lately. It's gotten worse now that I'm 30 years old--that I'm still waiting tables at my age. I am NOT taking some lower-paying job, just so I could say I have a "real" job, which simply means waking up early and getting dressed up for some people. Never mind the fact that I make more than many people with "real" jobs.

I applied to several teaching jobs over the last few weeks. I can't help the fact that one of them had over 800 applicants and I'm not subbing for less money just so I can say I'm using my degrees. My bills, rent, and health insurance don't care where the money comes from.

I was raised never to tell people how much you make, but I'm getting to the point where I want to start throwing it in some people's faces, just so they stop thinking I'm some poor and stupid waitress.
June 17, 2012
nobodylikesyourkidbutyou
I probably already posted something similar in the first few pages in this thread, but I'm sick of it lately. It's gotten worse now that I'm 30 years old--that I'm still waiting tables at my age. I am NOT taking some lower-paying job, just so I could say I have a "real" job, which simply means waking up early and getting dressed up for some people. Never mind the fact that I make more than many people with "real" jobs.

I applied to several teaching jobs over the last few weeks. I can't help the fact that one of them had over 800 applicants and I'm not subbing for less money just so I can say I'm using my degrees. My bills, rent, and health insurance don't care where the money comes from.

I was raised never to tell people how much you make, but I'm getting to the point where I want to start throwing it in some people's faces, just so they stop thinking I'm some poor and stupid waitress.

THIS! I'd say people riding your ass about it at this point in your life shows that they're the ones who are immature and stupid. Right now there are a lot of "professionals" on food stamps, so what does that tell us? You're self-sufficient and make the money you need to sustain your life, and they do not, because it's "beneath them." Who's stupid? smile rolling left righteyes2 I'd say fuck the etiquette in this case and tell the naysayers what you take home in a week and watch their jaws drop! grinning smiley
June 18, 2012
nobodylikesyourkidbutyou

I understand you. I used to work as a cleaner and you can imagine the shit i got from some people. They look at me with pity and and act all superior just because in their opinions "i gather shit". I had another thread here bitching about that. And then the same people throw jealousy fits if i buy a new gadget or go to some festival "ohh it must be nice that you can afford it".smile rolling left righteyes2

I can hear you about the drinking. I get lots of bingoes because i don't get drunk, vomit and act like a jerk. One idiot told me that how can i go to rock festivals without getting drunk, how can i have fun being sober? Well, when you pay 100+€ for the tickets you actually want to see the bands not lay unconscious near some tree, vomit and in the worse case end up at the hospital. For me that not sounds like fun. I came there for the bands. And anyway in the festival area you are not allowed with own alcoholic drinks and the drink there are very expensive.
June 19, 2012
Not getting a driver licence tongue sticking out smiley
Seriously. I am 26, I don't have one currently and I don't want one. I live in a big city and go around either by foot or by public transport. But people COSTANTLY bingo me!

And my decision to remain celibate. Everybody is bugging about when I'll have a man =_=
I don't want one. Or a woman. Not now, peraphs never. Pheee
June 19, 2012
I just thought of another one: I don't have a microwave. I have a toaster oven and a conventional oven and that's all I need. I daresay food tastes better when these methods are used as opposed to nuking it in a microwave.

People are AMAZED at this fact.
June 19, 2012
toomanybrats
I just thought of another one: I don't have a microwave. I have a toaster oven and a conventional oven and that's all I need. I daresay food tastes better when these methods are used as opposed to nuking it in a microwave.

People are AMAZED at this fact.

Same here! I have minimal counter space in my kitchen and I refuse to buy a microwave. Some people are clearly dumbfounded that I don't have one. I'm not ruining the ambience of my nice dining room with one of those things, plus I get along just fine with a good old toaster and oven. Nuked food leaves a lot to be desired.

t.
Seriously. I am 26, I don't have one currently and I don't want one. I live in a big city and go around either by foot or by public transport. But people COSTANTLY bingo me!

Ugh, I don't have one either. I am 23. I never got around to it and on top of that I'm actually a bit scared of driving. I feel I'll freak out too much. I know how to drive some, but no, didn't get the licence. I probably will someday because it might be necessary at some points, but for now, I am fine. People treat me like I'm stupid or irresponsible for it.

Another bingo I get is for not being in college. Look, I was in college for a few years, and I did terrible due to a variety of factors. I've been taking a break from it for a couple of years. I've been working as a cashier. It kinda sucks, because I don't like working with the public at all, but I do work my butt off and make some money. People look down on me like I'm stupid though.

However, I feel that taking a break from college was the right thing to do, and cashiering exposed me to some situations and skills I would have never come across with before. I feel I can deal with people better than I used to.

I also didn't have a cell phone until I was 21.

I got bingoed by my mother a lot for staying up late, and sleeping in. I still do it when I can. I don't sleep too much either.

I even get bingoed when I choose to buy energy drinks! I've always had a problem with low energy. I have no idea why. I've gone to the doctor for it, and I've gotten no clues. Sometimes I just need the Red Bull to deal with the masses and the howler monkeys at my job.
June 19, 2012
kookiecrisp
t.

Ugh, I don't have one either. I am 23. I never got around to it and on top of that I'm actually a bit scared of driving. I feel I'll freak out too much. I know how to drive some, but no, didn't get the licence. I probably will someday because it might be necessary at some points, but for now, I am fine. People treat me like I'm stupid or irresponsible for it.

Another bingo I get is for not being in college. Look, I was in college for a few years, and I did terrible due to a variety of factors. I've been taking a break from it for a couple of years. I've been working as a cashier. It kinda sucks, because I don't like working with the public at all, but I do work my butt off and make some money. People look down on me like I'm stupid though.

However, I feel that taking a break from college was the right thing to do, and cashiering exposed me to some situations and skills I would have never come across with before. I feel I can deal with people better than I used to.

I also didn't have a cell phone until I was 21.

I got bingoed by my mother a lot for staying up late, and sleeping in. I still do it when I can. I don't sleep too much either.

I even get bingoed when I choose to buy energy drinks! I've always had a problem with low energy. I have no idea why. I've gone to the doctor for it, and I've gotten no clues. Sometimes I just need the Red Bull to deal with the masses and the howler monkeys at my job.

Are we long lost siblings or something? tongue sticking out smiley Except for the energy drink thing, I get all the same bingoes. tongue sticking out smiley
June 19, 2012
I can't remember if I mentioned this one in this topic already or not, but I've also gotten crap from a few people because I don't like precious stones or metals. Apparently it's unheard of for a woman to not turn to goo at the sight of gold or diamonds. I personally never saw the allure - I hate yellow and brown (and gold is a combination of both colors) and, to me, when I see a diamond, I think, "Oh look, a clear rock that costs a thousand dollars. Hoopty-doo."

I much prefer semi-precious metals and stones - sterling silver, quartz, pewter, moonstone, turquoise, marble, jade, obsidian, hematite, amethyst, etc. Basically the stuff you can find in the bead section at Michael's. Not only because they're more affordable, they just look so much nicer. I especially prefer stuff that is not faceted, but are just kind of in polished chunks.
June 19, 2012
This tread proves that you just can't win with the sheeple. You. Can't. Win. No matter what you do.

I stopped trying to please everyone a long time ago. I prefer to be my own person. Not what someone else would have me be.

Fuck the sheeple. Fuck 'em to hell.
June 20, 2012
I don't want jewelry as a gift - shocks the hell out of some people that I don't care about shit that "women are supposed to care about" like Valentine's day, anniversaries, weddings, jewelry, celebrity gossip, romance novels, and so on.

I also don't have a microwave, but I haven't been bingoed over that.
June 21, 2012
Why are you a phone sex operator? Is that even a real job? Does that mean you're easy?
(Yes, it's a legal, legitimate form of employment. No, I am not a whore in real life. I'm actually quite the opposite.)

Why aren't you married? What's wrong with you that you don't want to get married?
(I like being a bachelorette and living alone...don't want to share my space.)

How come you don't socialize / party more? You should have a TON of friends!
(I don't like a lot of people that I meet, and tend to be more introverted and quiet. I prefer to relax at home, rather than get pissed and stupid - not that I begrudge other people having a good time.)
I also don't understand why people have such a problem with not partying or drinking. They seem to think you can't possibly be having fun if you are home alone reading a book, therefore you must be a masochist. Different people enjoy doing different things; why is that so damn hard for a lot of people to comprehend?

I do not drink now but I did a little bit when I was younger. When people asked if I drink and I said yes they assumed I was a party girl. So I started lying about it and saying no. You just can't win with some poeple. If you drink you must be a slutty party girl, if you don't you must be a hopelessly old-fashioned prude. I stopped drinking because there are many other things I would rather spend my limited income on, and I don't like the thought of getting in the habit of it.
June 22, 2012
I forgot to add one particularly annoying bingo from my looks-obsessed famblee members regarding my weight:
I fit comfortably in size nine jeans and I'm height - weight proportionate. It's either that I'm too fat or too thin.
If I gain ten pounds, I'm fat. If I lose ten, I'm looking scrawny and drawn.
I hate that bingo the worst, because I've dealt with eating disorders in the past.
My moo's favorite saying is, "You can never be too rich or too thin." Yeah, okay. Whatevah. smile rolling left righteyes2
June 22, 2012
mumofsixbirds
I forgot to add one particularly annoying bingo from my looks-obsessed famblee members regarding my weight:
I fit comfortably in size nine jeans and I'm height - weight proportionate. It's either that I'm too fat or too thin.
If I gain ten pounds, I'm fat. If I lose ten, I'm looking scrawny and drawn.
I hate that bingo the worst, because I've dealt with eating disorders in the past.
My moo's favorite saying is, "You can never be too rich or too thin." Yeah, okay. Whatevah. smile rolling left righteyes2

Wow. How insecure THEY must be.
June 22, 2012
Ondinette
I also don't understand why people have such a problem with not partying or drinking. They seem to think you can't possibly be having fun if you are home alone reading a book, therefore you must be a masochist. Different people enjoy doing different things; why is that so damn hard for a lot of people to comprehend?

You and I think alike. I've been told that I need to have more fun and that what I like to do isn't fun, so there's a problem. I have never understood this mentality at all. I actually prefer staying in over going out and luckily, I'm married to someone who is the same.

JD
June 22, 2012
Religion: This happens all the time. Why is it that someone's faith is never good enough for anyone else? DW and I were members of a charismatic Christian denomination for 15 years and the Baptists bingoed us all the time for being heretics. For four years, we were ministers in that denomination, and our own colleagues bingoed us because we were a) not preaching verbatim what "the prophet" said, b) going to Goths and not telling them they were demonic, c) we were Goths ourselves (HORRORS) and d) childfree. Why we left is a very long, painful story. Now, I'm Anglican and DW is Wiccan. Waiting for the next round of bingoing to begin! I feel sorry for whoever bingoes us on this one. DW is Irish-German and an English major. She can, and will, tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Major: I'm an English major. When I was working on my BA and anyone asked me my major, they always said "What are you going to do, teach?" No matter how hard I explained my love of literature or that an English major is a great foundational major for many careers, it never sank in. Now, I'm going for my MA in creative writing and it's happening again. "You can't make any money at that!" I answer with "Stephen King and J.K. Rowling sure did." That shuts them up.

Writing choices: I get bingoed within the English department! I write genre fiction (fantasy stories) and my colleagues laugh at me. "That isn't writing! That isn't literature!" When I mention that I have a better chance of paying my bills selling stories to commercial magazines than they will by giving their stories to journals with only a readership of 250, they call me a hack. I get so tired of smugness and snobbery!

Football: A man in the South and in Texas is supposed to be a football fanatic. I just don't care for it. I prefer the poetry of baseball. Besides, I was bullied in junior high by the football team. So, when some stranger comes up to be in a bar and asks "You like the Longhorns or the Aggies?" I say "I didn't go to either school." And I swear, he looks like he wants to hit me in the face!

Straight White Male: I doubt this happens much in real life, but it happens in the graduate level English department. No matter what the conversation is, eventually, someone will say to me "You don't understand. You're a straight white male. You're part of a priviledged class." That kind of assumption is just as much sexist and racist as anything of the past 250 years. Hypocritical there much, (insert name of any given UNT creative writing PhD student here). Even the straight white men say it to me. I guess because I'm a lot older, they assume that I'm patriarchal. And where the hell is the priviledge? I've struggled for 49 years to get two pennies to rub together. I could use some priviledge right about now!

I graduate in December and I'll be able to leave 3/4 of this bullshit bingoing behind.
June 22, 2012
^I get the same shit for being a literature major. "Oh, so you want to teach!" "Literature don't pay the bills!"

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
The drinking and partying reminded me of another one: the pressure on women to wear "sexy" clothes. I don't feel comfortable with this. I have tried, but it is just not me.

In college I had a friend who was the innocent type when I met her but then decided to change. Suddenly she was always making comments about my "conservative" attire. Once we were at the mall and she was buying sexy underwear. I didn't want any, so she said "Come on, Ondinette. Live a little." Back then I was desperate to have friends and be included, so I put up with her behavior. But I didn't buy and wear the revealing clothes.

My modesty is not extreme. I wear shorts all summer, except at work where long pants are required for safety reasons. I just don't like clothes which are designed to emphasize sexuality.
June 24, 2012
Blah, I get shit about my clothes too. Pretty much just from my mother. And it's funny because she gives me shit from both extremes - she'll complain my jeans are too tight (I like them that way), but then she'll also complain that my shirts are too big. Today I heard about how I need to stop wearing oversized tops and start dressing "nice" like a "normal" woman. Meanwhile, I got told that the slightly loose-fitting jeans I had on looked better than my usual tight ones. Why my mother is examining my clothing and body so closely is a mystery.

Well the thing with my shirts is I've only just started liking certain women's tops within maybe the last year, now that I'm finding shirts that come down to the hips and not the waist. However, I do not like how most women's shirts continue to be fucking skin-tight. I like nice tight pants, but I need my shirts to be loose in order to be comfortable. So yes, I do need to buy shirts that are 2X or 3X because they fit how I like them to fit.

This is why, for the longest time, I was a strictly jeans-and-t-shirt person - I could count on men's shirts to be comfortable, and much of my wardrobe is still, in fact, men's shirts. Not only tees, but button-down tops that I can wear alone or over another shirt. And I'm not that much of a fucking imbecile that I can't find a good medium between comfort and "looks nice" for occasions when I have to look more presentable. My mother is the only one who has ever taken issue with my wardrobe...then again, most bingoes I get are from her.
Not keeping up with the latest styles (my GF gets it even worse, she has long curly black hair reaching to her hips, and she gets comments about that style being stuck in the late 90s, along with how she "needs to" give up the Goodwill Couture wardrobe and Wal-Mart jewelry), being interested in old cars, liking serial killers, liking UFOs, collecting toy cars, and liking conspiracy theories.

but the biggest bingoes, for her and I alike, are (in this order) belief that humans are inferior to other species because they are greedy, depleting & destroying Earth and are on the way to destroying the whole solar system, being irreligious, and our hatred of how modern medicine and government/social welfare are wasting time and money on keeping people who are of no use or worth to society by way of illness or disability alive.
For me, religion. Being trans also brings a large amount of shit.
July 04, 2012
I think I mentioned this some time ago in another part of the forum, but probably one of the most ridiculous things I've been bingoed for (by my mother, of course) is my signature. For some reason, Mom noticed only recently how I sign my name, which is full first name and last initial. I've only been signing it this way since high school. And she had a problem with this.

She actually tried to tell me I had to change how I sign my name because I'm not "allowed" to sign it that way (meaning I need to do what she does and sign my full first and last name). Uhhh, yeah, that's not going to work because that signature is on every document I've signed in the last decade. I can't just start using a new signature - does she even realize how retarded that sounds?
July 04, 2012
Oh, I guess I get bingoed for not seeking a breast reduction, too.

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login