Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone else here like the singer "Basia"? I think I'm her only fan.

Posted by the noodler 
Anyone else here like the singer "Basia"? I think I'm her only fan.
June 22, 2011
Basia. Pronounced "Ba-zja". She's a Polish singer who does bossanova/pop/jazz fusion type stuff. She was most known for "Time and Tide" and you may have heard "Crusin' for Bruisin" while grocery shopping.

I really liked her first album, especially the song "Prime Time TV", and from her second album (under the name Basia, as she was in a band before she went solo act) titled London, Warsaw, New York, which had a tune called "Copernicus". As far as I know, she is not a speaker of English, so I find that to be quite an accomplishment. Her following album, "The Sweetest Illusion", I wasn't really crazy about. I believe she has some other stuff out as well, but I haven't been following her like I used to.

I just thought I'd ask. It's hot and I'm bored.
Sure! I remember Basia. My mother loved her and we'd listen to her in the car a lot. I liked the song "Time and Tide." I used to listen to it as my mother would drive me to voice lessons (I was really into musical theater.)

I remember looking at the cassette cover and thinking she was pretty.

If you liked Basia, did you also like Swing Out Sister? They had a similar sound. Remember their song "Breakout"?
Re: Anyone else here like the singer "Basia"? I think I'm her only fan.
June 24, 2011
I'm not big on female singers, but I loved Basia as a kid growing up. My mom listened to this "soft jazz" station, and she was a prominent feature on there. I thought she had a really pretty, classy voice.
Re: Anyone else here like the singer "Basia"? I think I'm her only fan.
June 27, 2011
Nah, you're not her only fan! I have her "Best Of" CD and I have loved her since this:

http://youtu.be/DLAFQwIyK6s

P.S. "Cruising For Bruising" is one of my all-time favorite songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myknrlmt1Y4
I remember getting into her music while dating a guy who drove a total POS Ford Ranger pick-up (I think he went through three engines with that heap he overpaid for), but it had a really kickin' sound system with Rockford Fosgate speakers. We used to tool around with the stereo banging to singers/groups like Enya, and in this case, Basia. He was a band nerd after all (played French Horn in the Army Band) but we got some strange looks while playing "Astrid" by Basia..

Where is she now the lovely girl
with the softest voice you've ever heard
singing fly me to the moon

You have to picture it. A pick-up truck blaring Basia. Good times.

Medusa, I'm going to have to look for that Best Of cd (please don't advise where to download. I don't even own an iPod.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login