Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird Complications After Abdominal Surgery

Posted by peace-n-quiet 
Weird Complications After Abdominal Surgery
February 23, 2013
I had an abdominoplasty in December 2012 and I appeared to be recovering with no major issues. Last Saturday (February 16th), I developed fatigue. That Sunday, I developed a stabbing pain in my stomach (the left side and the midline). I used tylenol and dealt with it. The pain worsens Monday. I make an appointment to see my surgeon on Tuesday. On Tuesday morning, I develop nausea after I eat. My doctor thinks that the naseau is due to the pain. He thinks the pain is due to the nerves regenerating. He examines me and gives me pain meds and an appointment to see him in a week. I take two days off from school and the stabbing pain dies down. But, I am still nauseated after I eat. On Thursday and Friday, I developed constipation so bad that I had to manually remove the impacted crap from my body with kitchen gloves and old Target bags (sorry for the visual). What is going on? Do I have scar tissue pressing on something or interfering with the passsage of feces or food? Was my bowel nicked during surgery? Thanks.

Oh, and I do have an appointment to see him this coming week. I feel better now but this is weird.
Re: Weird Complications After Abdominal Surgery
February 23, 2013
It might be still healing. These things can take time.

I injured my leg badly - 3 years ago - and it still hurts. Often feels weird and flat out pains me at times. Operations take time to heal.

The Med people here can tell you more.

Your other issues may be unrelated. In our area here (US / Canadian Great Lakes Region) - there's all sorts of stomach bugs going around right now - your nausea and poo issues might be *something else*. I've heard of barf and poo issues from Toronto to IN lately - people do love to share with me LOL. Anyway, there ARE some "stomach things" - going around.

I myself was a bit goofy in the tum lately. Mom's got issues in MI too - and tomorrow she's coming to see me and we're going out to eat at Red Lobster (she has a gift card.) Yeah. That should be interesting grinning smiley

In fact - that was supposed to be today but I said - I am not feeling too hot - let's do it on Sun. There ARE things going around right now.

For nausea I like to drink "bicarb" which is a bit of baking soda in water. Settles the tum. Works on heart burn too. You might try this. Be sure to ask the Docs about everything of course, even simple things like this, being post surgery right now.

You can also try beer and 420! Hey, helped me! I was really sick after I got injured because the injury got infected with e.coli (I fell into polluted water.) Because of that I had to take chemo drugs and Anthrax medicines. ERG. To kill off the e.coli. I looked all this stuff up - it's bad scary shit - can give you a full blown case of MS! There was nothing else to be done though, I was close to death and nearly had to have the leg amputated. No complaints. Well except these crazy drugs also made me sick. The one, what I read, it said it works by unwinding the DNA of the e.coli. Ooo. I hope that knew where to ah - "leave off". GAH.

Was very glad to have the 420! It DID help me! It DOES have medical use! I was SO SICK from the crazy strong weird chem drugs - thank Jah I could get some - I felt it helped me.

We need this *universally legalized*! I'm completely onboard now! I even belong to NORML now!

Just some thoughts. You might just be still healing and the tum/bowel things may be unrelated. Med people can give you better advice than I can. Do keep following up with Docs also.

I am grateful that I was OK and did not have to have my leg amputated. I do keep my eye on it though. And like I say - 3 years later and it still does hurt! Sometimes I worry about blood clots and such - but I remind myself not to over think or worry, try to keep healthy, and if something does pop up that does look weird / bad / super painful - yes I will then go to the Doctor. Outside of that I try not to worry too much.

I hope you will feel better soon! smiling smiley

:bal
February 23, 2013
Thanks Zzelda!

That was some crazy stuff about your leg! Sometimes, with some medicines, the cure is worse than the disease with all of those side effects. Unwinding of DNA! Scary shit.

I will try the baking soda.

I have never tried it but I have always been down with the legalization of certain numerical entities devil with smile. I have heard about its medical uses.

I have done a little bit of Dr. Googling as well. I read something about bowel obstructions and ileus. With this, they like to put a tube down your nose and suck out the stomach stuff.:goggle Depending upon the cause (impacted shit or adhesions/scar tissue) they might have to do surgery to remove the blockage. Yikes! I don't think I am to that point.
February 25, 2013
I would lean toward nerve regeneration. I have had pain so bad it left me near puking.

I would doubt your colon was nicked because you are not dead from a raging case of sepsis. You have had to take things easy and taking pain pills, and constipation is one of those things...you are not moving much so neither is your bowel. Dr. Google has a lot of people displaying being blocked after various surgeries.

Hope all goes well for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Anonymous User
February 25, 2013
Aye I agree with navi8orgirl, you may be stoppered up due to pain medication and/or perhaps your abdominal organs are a bit shocked. This sounds weird, but if I were you, I'd fart anytime the urge came, that's a sign that your innards are starting to come out of it. However, please do go to your doctor as soon as you can, just to make sure.

Make absolutely sure that you rush to the doctor or even ER if you're starting to feel genuinely ill, having fever, etc. And I mean RIGHT AWAY.

But yes, in any case, go to your doctor's appointment and keep us updated on what's going on.

:emoheart
February 25, 2013
Thanks. smiling smiley
February 25, 2013
You can get things moving down below by a large intake of salt. I know this isn't like *healthy* advice or anything but if you like pickles, olives, pepperoncinis, or other salty relish-tray favorites, see what happens when you make a healthy snack out of them and eat just a few too many. Eat like, two cupfuls. Believe me, things will be moving!

If that doesn't work, you can mix yourself up some water and epsom salt OR take Milk Of Magnesia to loosen things up. MOM is some pretty good stuff, you won't be impacted after you take it, guaranteed!
February 25, 2013
law
You can get things moving down below by a large intake of salt. I know this isn't like *healthy* advice or anything but if you like pickles, olives, pepperoncinis, or other salty relish-tray favorites, see what happens when you make a healthy snack out of them and eat just a few too many. Eat like, two cupfuls. Believe me, things will be moving!

If that doesn't work, you can mix yourself up some water and epsom salt OR take Milk Of Magnesia to loosen things up. MOM is some pretty good stuff, you won't be impacted after you take it, guaranteed!

Don't forget PRUNES!

They DO work!

Prune juice, too thumbs upwink
February 25, 2013
Zzelda
law

Don't forget PRUNES!

They DO work!

Prune juice, too thumbs upwink

Yes, and they're delicious too.
February 26, 2013
My go-to is a bag of sugar free gummy bears or Jelly Belly beans. The sugar alcohols can cause sensitive (which is most) people to go from zero to ass-plosion in a few hours. Bear in mind the ass gas will scare the dogs. It is not pleasant but very effective.

From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
February 26, 2013
I am feeling better. When it was at its worse, I took Ducolax laxative. I was cramping something awful. But, it cleaned me out! Won't take that shit again due to the cramps though. I have been taking stool softeners and eating prunes. If I need a laxative, I will use one of the tips in this thread. Thanks guys.

I do feel better. Things seem to be calming down. I guess my body just had to get used to some stuff. I have an appt. with the doc on the 7th and I will definitely keep it. Thanks again to all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login