Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Odd antibiotic reaction

Posted by Cambion 
Odd antibiotic reaction
February 28, 2013
Bear with me if I sound like I'm out of my mind right now. I've got a good old fashioned sinus infection and am taking generic Biaxin (something called clarithromycin). According to my doctor, I've taken this shit before. The name sounds familiar, but the way I feel definitely is not.

I feel absolutely motherfucking wired right now. Not restless - usually when I'm restless, I feel tired, but I just can't get to sleep. I feel hyper. Caffeine can't even do this for me anymore. Of course, there's nothing on the side effects pamphlet I got that says anything about restlessness/hyperactivity when taking this shit, but there's no way it's anything else and I just do not get spurts of energy like this anymore. I'm always generally sleepy all day long, and it wasn't until after I took today's doses (the first ones) of these meds that I just felt hyper.

The way I feel now is kind of like how I felt when I had to take steroids - I was hyper all day, hyper all night (and not sleeping), and hyper the next day despite absolutely no sleep.

Is...it possible to feel like this from an antibiotic? It's not bothering me or anything because I could use the energy. But has anyone else ever felt this way from taking antibiotics?
Re: Odd antibiotic reaction
February 28, 2013
I had the exact same issue when I took oral antibiotics last month. During that time period, I didn't consume any caffeine, didn't oversleep, and exercised regularly. Despite that, I had so much energy that my body felt as if it were vibrating. I frequently had the urge to go running at full speed for miles while screaming at the top of my lungs. Since that wasn't possible, I would make my workouts harder, which normally exhausts me, but it didn't do a damn thing. I would even jump in place or jump rope for several minutes at a time and not feel affected. I didn't get drowsy once while taking the antibiotics and spent most nights tossing and turning and trying not to make kicking motions with my legs constantly. I felt like I was starting to go crazy, but I was positive it was the medication. Sure enough, shortly after I finished taking the pills, I went back to normal.

There was nothing in the info the doc or pharmacist gave me mentioning that as a side effect, either. Incidentally, almost my entire body itched like hell, which exacerbated the revved up feeling.

I'm sorry you're going through this right now. I hope you feel better soon. friendly hug

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I treat my body as a temple, Laverne. You have chosen to treat yours as an amusement park."
Re: Odd antibiotic reaction
February 28, 2013
Oh I'm not complaining at all. I could use an energy boost right now for homework shit anyway. It's amazing - I get enough sleep and even take naps every day and drink coffee and caffeinated soda, but I'm always tired. I can chug a whole energy drink in one sitting and go take a nap right afterward. I take antibiotics and I'm wired. WTF. Hell, if there weren't so many downsides, I'd ask for scrips for these pills just for the sake of energy. But I really don't want to become resistant to an antibiotic if I don't need to, and I doubt my doctor would prescribe them for me like that anyway.

I also wonder why the fuck Biaxin doesn't do this, but the generic form of it does. I thought maybe I was feeling this way after taking painkillers - someone has oxycodone in the kitchen and I understand it can be addicting and I thought that was doing it at first, but I took it around noon and I wasn't wired until around 7 at night. That shit didn't even take the edge off my headache.

In any case, I'm glad I'm not the only one and I'm not just going nuts. Some weird shit makes me hyper - I sometimes take a shot of NyQuil to wake my ass up because, for whatever reason, is has the opposite effect on me. I guess I can add clarithromycin to that list now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login