Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Miss Manners Message Board Going Away

Posted by Dorisan 
Miss Manners Message Board Going Away
August 26, 2011
It's not a board I hang out on regularly but some members have been there for years. I remember what it was like when ASCF died its slow death and it took several years before I found this community so I understand how the MSN peeps feel.

As an aside, this is just one more reason for me to hate Facebook. It feels like people are being "herded" there and are losing the independence and real anonymity of message boards. I have an account, but only check it maybe once a month.

Hopefully, those folks will be able to re-congregate on another message board, like many of us CFs from other areas found this place.
Re: Miss Manners Message Board Going Away
August 26, 2011
Dorisan
As an aside, this is just one more reason for me to hate Facebook. It feels like people are being "herded" there and are losing the independence and real anonymity of message boards. I have an account, but only check it maybe once a month.

I agree with you about Facebook, Dorisan! When I was on FB (closed my account a few months ago) I was afraid to even join CF or politically-themed groups or "like" those types of pages on there. I really don't like people knowing such things about me unless they are close friends and family, but I'm very private and also got sick of the oversharing that social media encourages. Plus with the privacy settings being such crap, I worry about who can see what. Even if you use a fake name, you might be identified through your friends list and things that your friends share with their friends.
August 26, 2011
Everything I needed to know about life I learned from Miss Manners.
August 26, 2011
Snark Shark
"Miss Manners Message Board Going Away"

just like MANNERS themselves!

You're the king of one-liners!
August 27, 2011
Snark Shark

Man, that is the sad truth.

lab mom
August 27, 2011
I read the article and still don't understand why the message board is going away.confused smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
August 27, 2011
kidlesskim
I read the article and still don't understand why the message board is going away.confused smiley

Apparently there have been issues with the board software becoming corrupted and either no one knows how to fix it or no one will step up to give their time to take it on. Occasionally, for reasons unknown/unexplained to its members, very old messages (like back to 2006) start popping up. It's not threadmining, more like ghost appearances.

Also, it's not unusual for websites to start connecting themselves to FB. I'm beginning to think of it like the Borg Collective. Several online news sites I read - well, they no longer allow you to just sign up to an account on their site, you have to sign in via your effin' Facebook account. I've also noticed sites like Photobucket now "invite" you to sign in via FB or Twitter; I wonder how long before that's mandatory. I'm not havin' that. I'll bail from the site before I am told I have to use FBangry flipping off
August 29, 2011
Snark Shark
yurble
Snark Shark

You're the king of one-liners!

No, that would Groucho Marx- but he's my inspiration!

Mr. T: I pitty tha foolhankyou

Actually, the King of one-liners is/was Henny Youngman. Yea, I know. I've watched Goodfellas wayyy too many times.
Anonymous User
September 23, 2011
I agree. So where did the Miss Manners board posters go, any way? Here?
September 23, 2011
Dorisan
Also, it's not unusual for websites to start connecting themselves to FB. I'm beginning to think of it like the Borg Collective. Several online news sites I read - well, they no longer allow you to just sign up to an account on their site, you have to sign in via your effin' Facebook account. I've also noticed sites like Photobucket now "invite" you to sign in via FB or Twitter; I wonder how long before that's mandatory. I'm not havin' that. I'll bail from the site before I am told I have to use FBangry flipping off

This. I don't post using my Facebook account on places where I want to make controversial or political-minded statements. The old way at least there was still a modicum of anonymity. If anything, I'll just make a fake Facebook page (redundant, I know) if push comes to shove.
This is hysterical! I was a poster on that board for a couple of years but I "left" after I was harassed continuously. I would even fight back with words and was disciplined by the board (banned for a week), yet the minions and trolls had full power of the board and continued to give out cookies to whoever flamed anyone who THEY thought needed to be flamed. I could start a thread "HItler was bad" I would still get flamed.

I would swing by every once in a while to see what was going on but I swear the last time over the summer.

FINALLY! Sweet Justice!!!
October 06, 2011
Posters like Huckster and a few other names that I've already forgotten made the board very antagonistic at times. There were a few CF posters who stuck to their guns no matter how breederific it got.

The Invisapeeps board, created so that posters would have an alternative to being Borged onto Fapbook, is working out well enough so far. It may be that the assholes just didn't feel like migrating.

I just wish that such huge honkin' avatars weren't allowed. It stretches out the size of the message field and makes for pages and pages of messages.
Dorisan! Were you on the board? Who were you?
October 09, 2011
Oh, I just lurked on the Miss Manners board, same as I do on Invisapeeps. Bratfree is my main board for interaction, while reading several others. I don't have time to be an active member of several boards.

I noticed that several of the MM posters kept their names when they moved to the peeps board. Haven't seen Husker (got his name right this time) and hope I never do. SFM22 is on the peeps board, though you'd recognize her by the bad spelling if she used a different name. I know there is some sight or cognition issues going on, but I still have a hard time parsing her words.

Overall, the Invisapeeps board just seems more civilized than MM ever was.
gravemistake
October 07, 2012
I keep Facebook to a low level. I have less than 50 friends - family & people I know. I comment occasionally but that is all. I talk a lot, but I would say in person what I am saying of facebook, so it's ok. I do not link anything to my facebook account. It is to be a social network, not a contest to see who has the most people befriended.
October 08, 2012
Are you sure you don't just limit your Facebook usage because you don't understand how it works? I'm guessing that because you don't seem to have the slightest clue about how boards like this function.

This thread is a year old and your comment is irrelevant to the subject an not even interesting.

It seems to reflect a deep desire to have more people care about what you say. I suggest you try using Facebook for that. Befriend random people and talk at them while they do the same to you, with neither of you actually paying attention to what the others are saying. You appear to have already mastered both the skill of random babbling and the skill of ignoring context and what others have said, so I see great success in your Facebook future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login