Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Speaking of Telescopes, need Christmas gift suggestions

Posted by bell_flower 
Speaking of Telescopes, need Christmas gift suggestions
November 26, 2016
My husband has always been interested in planets and star gazing. When I asked what he wanted for Christmas, he suggested a telescope.

I have no idea what to buy. I would like one that's fairly portable, as we sometimes visit his family in a rural area where the gazing would be better. I'd like to keep it under $400 don't have to spend that much but could go a little more for something that is quality.

Any astronomy buffs on board?
Re: Speaking of Telescopes, need Christmas gift suggestions
November 26, 2016
The Orion Starblast 6 seems to be a pretty good one and has 5 star reviews out of 71 reviews. Personally I would just ask him in a roundabout way what he would want in that area since a lot of amateur astronomers have their preference on what they want to use smiling smiley.

"It is better not to look like what you are; it is better to look like a bourgeois woman because then all the doors are open for you and then you can just go and make hell." - Marjane Satrapi
December 13, 2016
I bought Nightwatch: A practical guide to viewing the universe and the recommendation is to first buy a really good pair of binoculars that can be mounted on a tripod to view the night sky.

Once you become familiar with the night sky with your binoculars, they recommend buying a telescope or not, because binoculars are very useful. I bought the book linked above, a planisphere and a good pair of binoculars and we'll start from there.
December 13, 2016
What? You're not buying a cheapy telescope for your kid? Why would a Husband want to have a telescope, shouldn't he buying the kid more Pampers?
December 13, 2016

What? You're not buying a cheapy telescope for your kid? Why would a Husband want to have a telescope, shouldn't he buying the kid more Pampers?

MUST BE NICE, right? smiling face made up of smiles

Yeah, it is nice to have the time/money to indulge in hobbies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login