Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

equality

Posted by mercurior 
equality
January 05, 2007
why do people object to equality, why are there pro male,pro female camps, why not a pro equality camp.. people who treat everyone the same, regardless.

i am anti 3rd wave feminists, the ones who want everything (this contains those feminists who want to have a baby, and a job and everyone rolling over for them and i against men who want everything too), but i am equalist, if a woman is the best person for the job, then she should get it, if a man is then he should.. not sexist. if theres funding for womens health, there should be an equal amount for mans health.. not sexist is it..

but when i say there are male jerks, and female jerks, people only see that i am calling women jerks.. i know and i am sure a lot of you know dumbness and jerkness is not exclusive to one sex.. anything and i mean anything that makes one sex look worse to the other is bad, anti male articles are bad, anti female articles are bad as well.. trying to explain that i want everyone to be treated the same, sometimes i get called sexist.. because i dare say that men and women are the same and should be treated the same.. a sort of reducing women to the level of men.. in their eyes, when i want men to be boosted to how women are treated.. they decide i am saying women should be less than they are.. not that men should be more..

i wish there wasnt as many abortions, i beleive prevention is a key, both male and female, equality, its a mans duty to prevent, but EQUALLY its a womans duty as well.. am i saying men dont need to use prevention.. no.. i am saying it has to be equally shared between the 2 people.. yes women have more choices for birth control.. men have 3.. is that fair.. no.. is that equal .. no.. should men have the same amount as women.. yes. thats only fair, thats only equal... but when i say men have a few resources and women a lot more, i get called a sexist, because the women think i am saying i dont have the responibility its all on the womans side.. when my fiancee says she wants the snip, she wants to be "fixed", she gets told get the man to do it, she is giving the responsibility for birth control to the man.. she WANTS it, she wants it first because it will make her feel 1000 times better.. i am not forcing her.. i am not persuading her.. its her choice her decision..

just like its my choice my decision if i get a vasectomy, equal rights, and equal responsibility. thats the key..

i am pro equality, men and women are esssentially the same, there are things men can do that women find hard, and vice versa. there are things women can do that men find very hard.. am i saying there is a difference in men and women, yes, but thats genetically led, but this is in specific cases, not general.

EVERYONE IS CREATED EQUAL. and should be treated the EQUAL.

do i see more anti male comments, yes but thats because it affects me directly, women may see anti female comments, because they affect them.. but shouldnt it be everyone treated the same, not anti male, or anti female. but PRO equality.

this has been rattling round my brain for awhile, and on a few other boards, they have basically told me to get lost because i promote equality, rather than anti male - anti female. they put their discriminations into play, and read it how i am evil.. i must be anti feminist because i am male and i dare criticise women, (forgetting i criticise men too).

i want equality for all.. same funding for health for men and women, same rights for men and women, same responsibilities for men and women.. same rights under the law for men and women, same everything for men and women.

does this make me sexist, no.. i dont think so, but others do think so. so who has the problem, me who wants people to be treated the same, or them.

thanks for letting me rant here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: equality
January 05, 2007
I would just say that I am pro equality...and that from what I've seen most women I know feel the same way. Feminism is just another term that people throw around without thinking about what it really means, and one really has to take that into account when interacting with, or reading about, people who claim to be feminists. I'm not really sure who falls into this "3rd wave" of feminism that you are worrying over, but my guess is that they're so far removed from the actual goals of feminism, and the "founding mothers" of feminism, that they really don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Unfortunately, what you wish for is an unrealistic utopia where everyone treats eachother well, has other people's interests at heart, and has the same chances in life. Considering the ease with which humans are manipulated, and the ease with which they ALLOW themselves to be manipulated by external forces, the world that you wish for will probably only be a pipe dream that frustrates reasonable people to no end. I'm really not trying to be purely cynical, but I think the best way to deal with the frustrations of inequality, and the aggrivations of dealing with people in today's society is either total honesty, or just ignore them. Do as you wish, and treat others as you wish to be treated. If they don't like what you're doing, or they don't respond in kind, the best course of action would be to either A. tell them how their actions make you feel, or B. ignore them. It really is up to each of us to educate eachother as it seems parents aren't doing that, and most people seem to have forgotten that the "golden rule" can really make everything run much, much smoother.
January 05, 2007
yes, the latest crowd of people they are beyond wanting equality, its more into what can i get out of the system, who can i make slaves. thats the 3rd waves, or at least how i see it, the first were the suffragettes, then the 1960's women, who wanted to be treated equally. i have no objection to those.. its the ones of this generation really, the ones who want it all.. i try to be fair to everyone, if someone has a unfair go at a woman, i will defend her, same if they have a go at a man..

but at the moment, a certain type of woman, loves the idea of women castrating men, loves the violence against men, these are the ones i have a real problem with.

i treat men and women, the same generally speaking, if people could each treat others with respect, men and women, then most of these problems will end, but there are some who want more power, men and women. i am trying to at least be equal or show them that equality is a good goal to aim for. its just that some say they are more equal than others.

i want people to try to see both sides of the equation, try to get them to realise we are all humans, you and me, feh and everyone else we are generally the same have generally the same goals of life.. at least i try to aim for equality.. unlike some people do.. still i will carry on being as fair as i can, perhaps in a few years people will start thinking about true equality.

i know you are more an equalist feh, and thats a great thing to be..

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
CFScorpio
January 05, 2007
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why do people object to equality, why are there
> pro male,pro female camps, why not a pro equality
> camp.. people who treat everyone the same,
> regardless.

Ah, you mean like egalitarian feminism as opposed to essentialist feminism. I am in accord with you there.
January 05, 2007
yes, the term feminist is taken to mean everyone, but i see distinct groups.. the names may change, but your right scorp. but i try to be fair to everyone.. if i can make one person think, then i have done ok in my life..

CFScorpio
January 05, 2007
You might find this to be interesting reading:

The 10 variations of feminism:
http://www.evoyage.com/Evolutionary%20Feminism/TenVariationsFeminism.htm

If Women Ruled the World, Nothing Would Be Different
by Lisa Jervis

The biggest problem with American feminism today is its obsession with women.

But much of the contemporary American feminist movement is preoccupied with the mistaken belief—call it femmenism—that female leadership is inherently different from male; that having more women in positions of power, authority, or visibility will automatically lead to, or can be equated with, feminist social change; that women are uniquely equipped as a force for action on a given issue; and that isolating feminist work as solely pertaining to women is necessary or even useful.

Let’s take a quick look at some history. Femmenism is an outgrowth of the deeply flawed and largely debunked philosophy of gender essentialism: the belief that biology is destiny and that men and women’s bodily differences translate into universal and unchanging/unchangeable gender roles and traits. Essentialist thought dates back at least to the ancient Greeks, who saw men (of a certain class) as smart, strong, noble citizens and women as unfit to take part in intellectual exchange. Eighteenth-century philosophers laid down the natural law, which dictated that women’s childbearing bodies rendered them natural caretakers and little else. To this effort, scientists at the time contributed their data on things like skull size to confirm women’s lack of intellectual capacity. Similar modes of data interpretation were also useful in “proving” that black people were fit only for the hard physical labor of slavery and that poor immigrant folks’ criminal tendencies were evident in the shapes of their heads. Today’s version of this argument—with the same flaws in evidence and interpretation—comes from the evolutionary psychologists and brain researchers who assert all kinds of neurobiological explanations for supposed gender differences in everything from verbal skills to the propensity to cheat on a partner.

http://www.lipmagazine.org/articles/featjervis_femmenism_p.htm
January 05, 2007
will read it with interest scorp thanks.. its hard for men to see the differences.. all we see is feminist.. = this.. so the term gets a bad name..

the lip one is great, its very accurate, i have been saying sometimes its the choices that make the difference of the 76 cents an hour..

it makes me smile, when they complain about the things that men have had to do and cope with for centuries without complaint.. the extra stress its put on a family, etc.. i am all for people having a job regardless of sex so long as they can do it.. if they cant and still get the job.. theres something wrong there..

thanks again scorp, we may not agree on a lot fo stuff. but wink

January 06, 2007
I'd just add that anyone can feel free to complain about their situation at any time, male or female. Whether or not they'll be listened to depends on the audience they choose to complain to. With that in mind however, one who spends most of their interactions complaining, generally ends up being discounted as a whiner.

That list of types of feminism was pretty interesting too, thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login