Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Zealand's new law about paid time off work for domestic violence

Posted by yurble 
New Zealand's new law about paid time off work for domestic violence
July 31, 2018
I'm not sure what I think about New Zealand's new law about giving people time off (10 days) to escape from domestic violence situations. Making all the necessary arrangements to get out of a situation like that is no doubt time-consuming and the chance of success is higher if the person can focus on that problem. Businesses already have to accommodate various inconveniences, such as compassionate leave for a relative's death, or worker illness.

However, I wonder about a few things. First, how many times will a person be able to take advantage of the law? Abused people often return over and over again to their abusers. A person might also enter into a relationship with a new abuser. A person who repeatedly makes shitty choices needs counseling, not unconditional support for how they choose to live their lives.

The other thing I wonder about is public benefit. Obviously it is in the public benefit if fewer people are suffering from domestic violence. But will fewer people be suffering because of this, or will the abusers simply move on to new victims? Is there any obligation for the victim to assist the police with criminal charges? I would consider it a good deal for society if abusers got locked up, but not a very good deal if one person escapes only for another to take their place.

I suppose in some way this reminds me of maternity leave, because there is an element of choice in it which isn't the case with the death of a family member or an illness...but on the other hand, sometimes sick leave is taken by people who have been in accidents through their own carelessness and we don't withhold leave from them just because of a bad choice.

I do wish they'd fund paid leave through some sort of national scheme, though. While large businesses can probably readily afford this sort of thing, small businesses can really suffer. I know several small businesses that have gone bankrupt due to extended employee illness, because they couldn't cover the cost of the original employee and a substitute.
The other question is, a person takes the ten days to escape, but returns to work. What's the protocol when undoubtedly, the abuser shows up at their victim's workplace?

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login