Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any good movies lately?

Posted by Feh 
Any good movies lately?
January 30, 2007
Anyone seen any good movies lately that you want to write up a review for?

Last weekend I saw "The Curse of the Golden Flower", by the director of "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers" (among other flims). I am not quite sure what he was trying to do with this film, but if you are looking for an trip to the fireworks factory of ass kicking, you may find yourself rather disappointed. Not to say there isn't any ass kickery, just not in sufficent amounts to satisfy my lust. The acting was unexpectedly melodramatic, which makes me think the director might have been making an attempt at doing a send up of movies in this genre. However, if you are looking for a film to lose yourself in visually, this will leave you fully satisfied with it's beauitful sets and costuming.

A couple weeks ago I saw "Wordplay" on the direct teevee. This was an exceptionally satisfying documentary about crossword puzzles featuring the editor of the New York Times puzzle Will Shortz, puzzlers (featuring Jon Stewart, Bill Clinton and Ken Burns), puzzle makers and the annual crossword puzzle competition hosted by Will Shortz. Many hilarious moments reveal how a variety of folks create and/or solve these puzzles.

And last, but not least, I've been watching the first season of SNL, which has just been released on DVD. It's amazing!! There is indeed a reason why they seem to be the standard against which all sketch comedy is judged. I find it particularly interesting to see how the show format has changed from a more of a variety type show to what it is now. And it truly is depressing to notice the differences in the quality of musical acts between the early years, and currently.
CFScorpio
Re: Any good movies lately?
February 02, 2007
I just rented "Iraq for Sale: The War Profiteers". It's a documentary about the contractors over in Iraq, like Halliburton, who are making obscene amounts of money, doing whatever they want with no accountability, and bilking our government out of our hard-earned tax dollars.

www.iraqforsale.org
February 05, 2007
I am usually NOT into romantic comedies because I am a jaded person but I must admit that I did enjoy "Must Love Dogs". I liked the main character, a childless woman and a preschool teacher, who was dumped by her husband for a younger lady. I did not like how the main lady wanted those babies, though, and was jealous how Ex-Hubby knocked up his new toy.

However, I am glad she did not get with the divorced daddio who was after her. DD (Divorced Daddio) did the usual breeder thing by making himself out to be Father-of-the-Year by being the good divorced dud and for showing the lady how he took his child to pick out a puppy. The woman did bang this guy but got rid of him the morning after instead of trying to make a one-nighter into a relationship as most women try to do.

DD was also screwing other women. The main character did tell him off and let him know his Daddio-of-the-Year game would no longer work with her. She got the fellow that seemed to be the loner and not the man-about-town so it was not a bad flick at all. Usually, the women fall all over the childed men and their games the guys play to get a good fuck.

I needed a light picture since I am into more intense stuff and rarely watch Network TV. I do not always need to be so serious... lurking

My all-time favourite movie is "Man on Fire"!

"FUCK WORK"
Anonymous User
February 06, 2007
I just watched Man On Fire this past weekend for the 20th or so time. That IS one hell of a good movie!
February 06, 2007
What is "Man on Fire" about? The visuals I have are hilarious...but probably wrong.

I just watched Fargo again yesterday when work was closed due to extreme cold. What a wonderfully told story in a beautifully shot movie! It's basically film noir...except the opposite in terms of visuals. Instead of the huge contrast between light and shadow...it's all washed out light and white snow. The acting is stellar, especially if you have any experience with the upper midwest.
February 07, 2007
"Man of Fire" is an excellent movie, Feh. A former soldier-of-fortune agrees to be the bodyguard of a young girl in Mexico. Her father is a very wealthy Mexican and her mother is a young American woman. Kidnappings are at an all-time high in Mexico among the well-off people's kids.

Long story short is Denzel's character is hardened and depressed from his life as a mercenary where he killed a lot of people. The little girl is a sweet child and basically steals this guy's heart. The child is emotionally neglected by her parents so the bodyguard becomes her best friend and sort of a parent.

The girl gets kidnapped and Denzel does everything he can to get her back. It is an intense movie. The ending even had me in tears. :bawl I cannot say what happened or else I would spoil it for you. You have to see it, Feh!

"FUCK WORK"
March 05, 2007
Great and terrifying movie...
Idiotocracy
starring Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph.
Basically Luke and Maya are frozen as part of an army experiement. They are supposed to be thawed in a year, but as it ends up, they're thawed out 500 years later and emerge in a world where all the smart people have stopped breeding because it's never the right time. The stupid people, however, have been breeding like rabbits...because that's what they do. Everyone speaks a combination of redneck & ghetto slang, drinks only sports drinks (my favorite running gag? "Water? like from the toilet?"), and is covered in advertising. The crops have all failed, and everything is falling apart because well, stupid people can't do stuff good.

It was supposed to be released in theaters two years ago, apparently, but the studio decided people were't smart enough to see a movie about how stupid people are. Now they've dumped it onto DVD so smart people can rent and see a movie about how our stupid future is going to be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login