Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kitty May Be Dying sad smiley

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Kitty May Be Dying sad smiley
August 14, 2007
It is with very sad news that I Pooka, my cat and the first pet I've ever had, may be dying. sad smiley

My husband adopted her when she was around 6 years old from a former co-worker of his, and she was kooky, crazy and full of life.

A few weeks ago, all of a sudden, she stopped being active, lost lots of weight, wouldn't eat or drink, and just stayed in one spot. Hubby and I noticed that she seemed thinner than usual. At first, we thought it was her teeth, as she only has two teeth, and she couldnt' eat the hard, dry food anymore. We made an appointment for the vet, and before the vet, I bought her some (soft) canned food. She began eating voraciously and I thought, "Oh, that's the problem!" After we took her to the vet, we found out she is hyperthyroid and her potassium was very low. The vet put her on thyroid meds and potassium. She was also given some food by the vet. She was also very constipated, so the vet told me to get some hairball medicine, put water in her food, etc. I did all that, and she seemed to be bouncing back after the vet visit, eating and drinking ok, however, she remained a bit constipated, even after I gave her the hairball med. In the past few days, she has gone back to being gravely ill - bad odor, not drinking not eating, laying on the floor, doing nothing. She has an appointment tomorrow, but I am afraid we may have to put her down. sad smiley I am hoping the vet can help her recover, but I am not sure.

Since Pooka is my first pet, I've never had to go through the loss of a pet before. My husband is more familiar with it, as he has had pets throughout his life and has had to experience their passing.

I'll have an update tomorrow. Wish us luck.
Anonymous User
Re: Kitty May Be Dying sad smiley
August 14, 2007
Sadly, Pooka just passed. sad smiley
Anonymous User
August 14, 2007
I'm so terribly sorry, VLM. You have my very deepest sympathy.
Anonymous User
August 14, 2007
VLM, I am so sorry for your loss.
August 15, 2007
I am sorry to hear of your loss, VLM. It is never easy losing a furry family member. I could not take my rabbit with me when I moved for various reason. He does have a good home now...but I still miss the bunny. I see bunnies in pet stores and feel really sad...sad smiley
August 15, 2007
My sympathies are with you. I feel that in many instances, the loss of a pet can be as deeply felt as the loss of a beloved family member, or friend. It's always hard, but rest assured that you gave Pooka a glorious home filled with love.
xxoo
CJ
August 17, 2007
Very sorry, VLM. Hugs to you.
Anonymous User
August 21, 2007
Hi, everyone,

Thanks for your comments and support.

My husband and I took Pooka to the vet last Tuesday to get cremated. We expect to get her ashes back this week.

We really, really miss her, but we do have lots of pics of her to remember her by.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login