Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tubal ligation and weight gain?

Posted by ladybug2203 
Tubal ligation and weight gain?
July 07, 2012
I've read several accounts of women gaining a ton of weight after a tubal ligation, is this true that it causes weight gain? I was hoping to get one in the future, and this is the exact reason I don't do hormonal methods b/c they make me put on weight and fast!

Please tell me this isn't true....
Re: Tubal ligation and weight gain?
July 07, 2012
I do not know if that is true. It sure sounds like bullshit, but maybe I'm just too quick to jump to that conclusion. All bodies are different and whatnot.

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
July 07, 2012
It sounds like someone coming off of hormonal BC and blaming everything on the tubal so they can get it reversed for "free".
July 07, 2012
I don't think there is any direct link between tubal ligation and weight gain. I second Mrs Rotwang's opinion.
July 07, 2012
ladybug2203
I've read several accounts of women gaining a ton of weight after a tubal ligation, is this true that it causes weight gain?

The women saying that are probably influenced by this site Bints even tried to propose legislation to scare women off.

Google "tubal ligation"+childfree. You'll come up with a number of sources and links where the subject has been discussed.
July 07, 2012
I've had a TL done 6 years ago and have had no problems with weight gain. I have about a 3lb swing for different times of the month, but that is normal for me. The real difference for me was that after I got off the BC pills I actually started having "real periods." I had never had a week-long period and never, ever had cramps before. smile rolling left righteyes2 I just wish I could opt out of the whole "girly bits" thing. It really annoys me.

sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
indecision may or may not be my problem
July 08, 2012
I lost weight because hormonal birth control always made me gain weight.
July 08, 2012
I had mine three years ago and I did gain some weight, but I think it's because the hormonal BC plus some life things were making me depressed/anxious and I had lost about 20 pounds a few months before the surgery. The BC pills used to wreck my appetite too, especially if I was stressed out. I had a worse time with weight gain after I quit smoking!
Anonymous User
July 10, 2012
I got my tubal a little over a year ago and no weight gain for me; I'm actually losing weight and neither the gain nor the loss had anything to do with my tubal. Some changes I did notice were longer, less predictable and much heavier periods but I believe that has everything to do with the fact that I had gone off hormonal birth control for the first time in 12 years.
July 10, 2012
My weight did not change post TL. I gained 8 yrs later with Paxil. Periods are a bit heavier, but infertility is well worth the hassle smiling smiley
July 10, 2012
My Essure isn't a tubal, but is non-hormonal. Will be a year on 8/17, have lost almost 50 lbs with no diet/exercise changes. Before that I was on the NuvaRing.
Ivyoo7
September 27, 2012
Hi There,
It all starts well, a few heavy periods here and there with cramps. If you have cramps during your period cycle, then, no problem. you will be used to it. After 5-6 years your periods would have gone heavier. That's the least of your problems.
In your late 30's you start to developing Menopause Symptoms.
Google symptoms of menopause, first one will be depression, followed by anxiety and so on. Once this begins it means that your Thyroid has little or no function at all, from here on its only visits to the doctor. If you are a sexually active couple, then, Game over!!
If you google how the body functions, you will find the Psoas muscle and its functions, it will begin to make sense. God Bless All

September 27, 2012
Ok that troll is full of crap. If you know anything about human physiology, you will know that the only way for ANYTHING to change with female sexual hormones is to have BOTH your ovaries completely removed. End of story. Ovaries are the seat of hormonal influence for the woman's body.

A tubal simply cuts and staples the fallopian tube to prevent an egg from even reaching the uterus and sperm from travelling up the fallopian tube to meet an egg.

I had a total hysterectomy 2.5 years ago and haven't had a single problem. Why? Oh... I kept my ovaries. I am 31 now and nowhere near early menopause. A tubal won't even blip your hormones. Any weight gain after the fact could be linked to an aging metabolism, bad eating habits combined with low physical activity, high chronic stress levels or a medical condition. I am sure there are more factors that can contribute to weight gain, but none of them have anything to do with a tubal.

P.S. the thyroid and fallopian tubes don't even know the other exists. If your thyroid is failing, you have much bigger problems than a tubal.... sigh....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login