Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

YAY one of my plants has a flower

Posted by mercurior 
YAY one of my plants has a flower
May 30, 2008
been waiting months and months, and its started to flower, never seen one before.

oh btw i grow carnivorous plants.. i want to grow a triffid and feed kids to it..

my venus fly trap is soon to flower.. i hope.. unless it gets white mold.. which happens a lot..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: YAY one of my plants has a flower
May 30, 2008
Do pitcher plants count? Good luck with the mold thing....
May 30, 2008
yes i have some here, grey mold grows if there isnt enough dampness.. and it quickly kills the plant.

i have a dracula plant (pitcher plant)..

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 02, 2008
How is your plant doing?
June 02, 2008
its still growing, wil take a picture of it once its done.. (its in the laundry near the back door, we leave it open for the dogs and the flies sometimes come in and land and get eaten wink (no cries of help me help me as yet )

June 06, 2008
I am growing carrots in containers in the back yard, and I am growing herbs in containers on the porch. I have a tomato plant on the porch also. These are the herbs:

Thyme (English and lemon)

Spicy Oregano

French Tarragon

Chives

Sage (I forget what kind)

Dill, Cilantro, & Thai Basil in the same pot (these are annuals)

Catnip (also an annual, but reseeds well)

My mother somehow got the catnip to take over the yard once upon a time, but one year, it just came back a little, then it stopped altogether. It wasn't the cats either, because it did well for a long time and there was more than enough even with the cats eating it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
June 06, 2008
my dracula/pitcher plant is dying.. i think the white mold got to it.. ah well.. the fly trap is doing rather nicely, about a fw weeks and the flowers will be out.. and will take a picture, and post it
Anonymous User
June 06, 2008
Hey guys, I just started growing some veggies, I am growing them in 5 gallon buckets (cause my home is for sale and I can take them with me when i leave)

Any tips or hints for a rookie gardener?

all my veggies starting growing the plants but no veggies as of yet.

im growing

Giant pumpkins
green onions
green beans
tomatoes
jalapenos

and XMAS trees
Anonymous User
June 06, 2008
nokyds4me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys, I just started growing some veggies, I
> am growing them in 5 gallon buckets (cause my home
> is for sale and I can take them with me when i
> leave)
>
> Any tips or hints for a rookie gardener?
>

I'm starting a container veggie garden, too! One tip I've got for you is to drill holes in the sides of the buckets (close to the bottom) so excess water can drain, and to line the bottom of the bucket interiors with either landscaping fabric or a layer of pebbles to prevent the holes from getting stopped-up with soil (and to stop insects from getting in).

Maybe we should start a gardening thread...
June 06, 2008
Fwyuk

I have to do that to some of them; some have holes already but others don't. I figured I have some time until the roots grow down that far. In the mean time, I just try to make sure they don't get over-watered. I just planted the herbs a week ago. I'll drill the holes when I get back from this weekend.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Anonymous User
June 06, 2008
Stephanie thanks so much, I just drilled the holes, having a garden is alot of fun!!!
June 07, 2008
and its greener, and cheaper growing your own than buying them in the shops

we used to grow alot of our food, potatos, peas, carrots, plus we have fruit trees, but when my dad became very ill we stopped. turned it into a garden. still have the fruit trees. i have an elderberry in a pot, going to grow that so it produces fruit and i can make some elderberry wine..

June 09, 2008
poofy_puff Wrote:
> I am growing carrots in containers in the back
> yard, and I am growing herbs in containers on the
> porch. I have a tomato plant on the porch also.
> These are the herbs:
>
> Thyme (English and lemon)
>
> Spicy Oregano
>
> French Tarragon
>
> Chives
>
> Sage (I forget what kind)
>
> Dill, Cilantro, & Thai Basil in the same pot
> (these are annuals)
>
> Catnip (also an annual, but reseeds well)
>
> My mother somehow got the catnip to take over the
> yard once upon a time, but one year, it just came
> back a little, then it stopped altogether. It
> wasn't the cats either, because it did well for a
> long time and there was more than enough even with
> the cats eating it.

I had a potted basil actually come back!!!!!!!!
June 09, 2008
Stephanie Wrote:
> nokyds4me Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey guys, I just started growing some veggies,
> I
> > am growing them in 5 gallon buckets (cause my
> home
> > is for sale and I can take them with me when i
> > leave)
> >
> > Any tips or hints for a rookie gardener?
> >
>
> I'm starting a container veggie garden, too! One
> tip I've got for you is to drill holes in the
> sides of the buckets (close to the bottom) so
> excess water can drain, and to line the bottom of
> the bucket interiors with either landscaping
> fabric or a layer of pebbles to prevent the holes
> from getting stopped-up with soil (and to stop
> insects from getting in).
>
> Maybe we should start a gardening thread...

In the absence of rocks or pebbles for drainage, smashed up terra cotta pots or saucers work as well- I use ones that are damaged on messed up. Good point, Steph!
June 11, 2008
I grow orchids, cactii, ivy...and really anything useless I can get to grow in a pot.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
June 14, 2008
my pitcher plant may have died.. it got the grey mold.. i think i may have saved it by massive pruning, and cutting the infected soil out. but had to quarenteen it

but today i got honeydew.. so i am happy about that.. will take a picture as soon as i can wink..
June 17, 2008
will take pictures as soon as i can, its near the back door, so any flying insects see oooh nice and the plant eats them.. better than fly spray

June 27, 2008

the flowers are open, going to take a better pic when it isnt raining

June 30, 2008
Way to GO! I gave up on gardening when I managed to kill a Venus Flytrap lol.
July 01, 2008
I always wanted a Venus Fly Trap when I was a youngster. I would see them advertised on the back of comic books. There was a rumour going around the neighbourhood how one fell on a kid at night in his sleeping bed and ate him. Needless to say, that scared :lips me. Now, I would love one of those things!
Anonymous User
August 12, 2008
I used to have a venus fly trap and a pitcher plant, both obtained from where I worked, Meijers. They got a whole bunch of pitcher plants in just once (and never again). There was one that was different from the others: The pitchers had red ribbing.
I transplanted it into a slightly larger pot using spagnum peat moss. I think I eventually put it (and the fly trap) into a goldfish bowl as that helps with the humidity. I watered them using distilled water. I also kept the pitchers filled with the dw as well. I remember catching a fly to give to the pitcher plant as I didnt' think it was getting anything to eat. Imagine my surprise when I looked in the pitchers and they had plenty of ants already. It had been doing a nice job all along and I hadn't been aware of it.
contrary to public belief, hamburger does not do them any good. I did get a kick out of putting a fly in. Pity they aren't large enuf for kids, but then, they would get a lot of dogs and cats too. oh well.
Krishna
August 16, 2008
Your plant is so cool. I always wanted one as a kid but had this irrational fear it would fall on me and eat me up. tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login