Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Owning a swimming pool and/or trampoline is a clear invite yourself over without asking the owner's permission

Posted by orangeflower84 
I noticed that lately, if you owned a swimming pool and/or a trampoline in your backyard, neighbors that you hardly know invites themselves over.
It also attracts Breeders to drop their kids off as unpaid babysitters and leave them there for hours. And don't forget to feed their little snowflakes too since they can drain your grocery bill.

It happened to some of my neighbors and they would get those rude unexepcted people that would invite themselves over. Our area has a communty pool but some houses have their own private pool.

One of the family built themsleves their own pool and once it's done, the kids would invite themselves over there but are not interested in playing with other kids, just the pool. Another neighbor owns a trampoline in his backyard; same result.

Luckily, my family owns neither a pool or a trampoline so we don't have to worry about them inviting themselves over. My next door neighbor owns a pool but the heater broke and they don't allow anyone to come over.

I don't get those people that would invite themselves over or dropping their kids off to strangers as unpaid babysitters. That just screams a lawsuit waiting to happen and we all know that Breeders are Sue Happy.

Has anyone here ever deal with those people? What did you do to put a stop to it?
I would like to have a pool, but there's really not enough room here.

Something? in the basement? Lap pools ~

Small pool for my small area outside?

It's really not feasible. And the sewers are grossly overloaded here. I can't really do anything with the basement, not even put in like a 'spa tub' - it floods all the time here.

It's (from what I hear) a tremendous pain in the ass, also.

I know a few people with pools (in ground, which is more expensive, and seemingly more hassle too) - complaints I have heard include -

Water is $$$. And depending upon the municipality / local gov - they'll charge you for it going in, as well as going out. IIRC even a small to mid sized pool takes 30 to 40K gallons of water.

Breakages / ruptures that flood the neighborhood? Guess who will pay for that. Neighbor's dead tree (that they deliberately tried to kill) - falls into your pool, cracks the concrete, floods the neighborhood? Guess who's paying for that? YOU are! (Issue told to me from a Pool Owner).

Yeah, it's a huge hassle. And $$$.

And then you got people looking to mooch, on top of it? angry smiley

It's good that I don't have the room here. I was thinking of moving and possibly doing one in the future ~

But you hear so many horror stories.

I have been looking at alternatives - these aren't cheap, either.

Hell, you could get a hot tub - which IMO is more of an 'adult' type thing (this may conjure up sex ideas for some; others may just want to 'soak their weary bones' in super hot water) - either way - is this really a 'kid' thing? IMO it isn't.

But I have heard of people who have had hot tubs and - Breeders with kids in tow were looking to use it -

smile rolling left righteyes2
Is trespassing still a crime? Wouldn't hopping in someone else's pool be considered trespassing?

Unless I lived miles and miles from civilization in the middle of a fuckin' field, I would not want to risk having a pool. They're considered "attractive nuisances" in residential areas and all it takes is some negligent breeder's retarded spawn drowning on your property to fuck everything up.

It's not just trampolines and pools that attract the morons either. It's anything fun or expensive that they don't have: swing set, fish pond, garden (food or flower), rabbit coop, decorative rocks, etc. It's not unheard of for neighbors and/or their idiot children to mosey into your yard and throw rocks into a koi pond; steal big garden rocks for their own yards; pull carrots out of your garden to throw at one another or pick all your daffodils.
Cambion
Is trespassing still a crime? Wouldn't hopping in someone else's pool be considered trespassing?

That's what I was thinking. Secure the place as best as you can and call the cops! Seriously, assholes can't just "invite themselves" when it's a private property - especially with such liability concerns.

Surely the concept of "attractive nuisance" has some legal limits?
Cambion
(snip) .... pull carrots out of your garden to throw at one another or pick all your daffodils.

I am a fairly easy- going person, but do not like uninvited random neighbours on my property.
Being multiply disabled and low income, my outside property is a considerable investment of my effort and money.

NEIGHBOURS WITH DOGS:

For every property that I have had over decades, every immediate next door neighbour (sometimes both sides) would actively use my yard as their dogs' toilet several times per day.
I would go through months of increasingly hostile discussions about the issue, with many denials, lies, even when caught "in the act" fully, multiple times.
In every case, no amount of politeness, bargaining nor reasoning, was effective.
I would start polite, raising the aggression as weeks go by.
In every case, I had to clean up 50-80 mounds of their dogs' shit in my own yard ( I have immune system issues that mean that I should not be handling any animal waste ) and eventually be forced to threaten legal steps to get the shit to stop.
In every case, the neighbour would refuse to speak to me in any way for years afterwards.

LAST HOME:

At my last city home, I had constant problems with people stealing my flowers, vegetables and plants.

One time, I went to bed with extensive flower gardens and woke up to every open flower ( 30-40) cut and missing.

Another time, I had a person steal about 20 of my seeding tomato plants.

One time, I was sitting in my living room and saw two teenage girls (that I did not know) who live across the street run across, and steal some flowers in a furtive way.
I went across and talked to the mother and girls, explaining that those flowers represented 18 months of effort and expense that they had no right to.

Another neighbour noticed that I had a constant supply of about 10 tomatoes per week and she started taking all of the ripe ones when I wasn't home.
She took so many on an ongoing basis that I never got any of my own tomatoes.
When asked to stop, so that I could actually enjoy some of the fruits of my own expense and labour, she refused.

At one point, I operated a low-key tiny roadside stand for organic seedlings and vegetables.
Despite all reasonable precautions, the theft rate (seedlings, vegetables and money) was about 50% and I had to give up in frustration.

One passerby noted my efforts in landscaping and was quite insistent on obtaining some of the plants.
She would not accept any reasonable refusals. She returned with a shovel and I had to threaten her with arrest to get her to leave.

One of my neighbours had a small 'golf green' front lawn with average type of flowers at the edge.
One day, a large neighbourhood family showed up with a picnic lunch and stayed for over an hour on his small front lawn. They picnicked and let the kids play games and wandered looking at his plants.
Why he did not throw them off, I do not know.

One of my neighbours did not have a yard, garage or driveway for a yard sale.
Knowing a date that I would be away from home, I let him use my front yard and driveway for his one time only yard sale.
Two weeks later, I had my own yard sale on my front yard and driveway.
He passive-aggressively complained about various aspects of my yard sale, even though he had done the exact same thing just before my sale, on my loaned property.

CURRENT HOME:

At my current home, almost all of the hundreds of homes' backyards open onto a large park-like public green space with distant entrance paths for access.

Most residents are too lazy to walk to the distant park entrances, so they wander through everyone's private yards.
It is annoying to me that most people wander through as if no one has any right to privacy.
Most of these people have no couth, so that they gape at you or your possessions while wandering through your yard.
A small number of people are so pointed in their assessment of your property that I suspect potential thievery could be possible.

Due to being low-income and this being a rental property, I have many constraints for potential deterrents to the trespassers.
Mostly, I am looking at free/ cheap landscaping options, (ie propagating various plants, shrubs and trees, temporary fencing, expanding gardens to cover common path areas, etc) so that people move on to the next property to wander through and leave my property alone.
Unfortunately, the areas at the front, back and side of the property are so large, that a lot of effort will be needed to have any effect. Currently, I am focusing my efforts on deterring people from entering the main entrance points of both sides of my front and back yard.

Cassia <--- raises her fist in a feeble but angry manner "Hey youse kids (adults/ dogs) ! Git offa my lawn !"

This is why I would prefer a home that's a considerable distance away from the next one, but if that's not possible, I'm getting the white picket fence, lined with an electrical fence and alarm. I don't understand where this, "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine and anything otherwise is un-neighborly" idea came from, but I'm not here for that.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
orangeflower84
I noticed that lately, if you owned a swimming pool and/or a trampoline in your backyard, neighbors that you hardly know invites themselves over.
It also attracts Breeders to drop their kids off as unpaid babysitters and leave them there for hours. And don't forget to feed their little snowflakes too since they can drain your grocery bill.

It happened to some of my neighbors and they would get those rude unexepcted people that would invite themselves over. Our area has a communty pool but some houses have their own private pool.

One of the family built themsleves their own pool and once it's done, the kids would invite themselves over there but are not interested in playing with other kids, just the pool. Another neighbor owns a trampoline in his backyard; same result.

Luckily, my family owns neither a pool or a trampoline so we don't have to worry about them inviting themselves over. My next door neighbor owns a pool but the heater broke and they don't allow anyone to come over.

I don't get those people that would invite themselves over or dropping their kids off to strangers as unpaid babysitters. That just screams a lawsuit waiting to happen and we all know that Breeders are Sue Happy.

Has anyone here ever deal with those people? What did you do to put a stop to it?

A guy in my computer user group had concerns over these issues with being the neighborhood kids are other kids inviting themselves over to swim when he had his grandchildren over. His way to avoid this was no other kids are allowed over unless a parent is with them. Needless to say, he has not had the issues mentioned.

We had an issue in a neighborhood I lived in as a kid. Right after we moved in, before we could get a fence up(it was a new house), a neighbor went into our garage and borrowed a wheelbarrow without asking first. He was mixing concrete in it and when my dad got home, he got angry with the man for doing this, saying the wheelbarrow wasn't strong enough for concrete. Needless to say, we ended up never speaking to those people, who lived next door, for the rest of the 10 years we lived there. We also had problems with other neighbors, who pretty much shunned us after that. It wasn't easy living there.
How about No Trespassing signs? The stealing makes no sense. It's a criminal act so the police would have to respond.

I guess it depends on where you live, but I just don't get it. I know some people who live in California and Nevada who can't leave things outside, not because there is a risk but a certainty that it will be stolen. That means there are always people stalking the yard? I could not sleep if that was going on, and these are decent middle class areas.

I live in a semi rural area, where if anyone is seen in another's yard they take their life in their hands. The police take it seriously, any trespassing, or reports of suspicious vehicles or people. If I want neighbors over I'll invite them, thankyou.

I know people with this mentality though, no boundaries, and I am about to make an example of one of them. Fortunately the law still recognizes ownership rights, for now anyway. These takers try to play on making you seem like a big meanie for not "sharing" your things with Poor little them. These are the people who borrow stuff and either never return, or return the things broken and say sorry, but they don't replace what they broke.
blondie
How about No Trespassing signs? The stealing makes no sense. It's a criminal act so the police would have to respond.

I guess it depends on where you live, but I just don't get it. I know some people who live in California and Nevada who can't leave things outside, not because there is a risk but a certainty that it will be stolen. That means there are always people stalking the yard? I could not sleep if that was going on, and these are decent middle class areas.

I live in a semi rural area, where if anyone is seen in another's yard they take their life in their hands. The police take it seriously, any trespassing, or reports of suspicious vehicles or people. If I want neighbors over I'll invite them, thankyou.

I know people with this mentality though, no boundaries, and I am about to make an example of one of them. Fortunately the law still recognizes ownership rights, for now anyway. These takers try to play on making you seem like a big meanie for not "sharing" your things with Poor little them. These are the people who borrow stuff and either never return, or return the things broken and say sorry, but they don't replace what they broke.

Where I grew up was like that, and I lived in an upper middle class suburb area. The way you looked at your stuff was if it wasn't tied down, it wouldn't be yours for very long. That's why I keep everything I don't want stolen or messed with locked up. I agree that good fences make good neighbors.
The house we lived in California has an inground pool and spa. Surrounded by wrought iron gates. I padlocked all the gates. Neighbor a$$holes who built on the lot above us, would sit on their balcony and holler "Hi,hello" every time we stepped outside to use the pool. We lived on a slope, 2nd from the top, once numbnuts built. We had been alone prior. Having, at the time, three large protective dogs, kept the riff raff at bay. They even ran Jehovah witnesses away once from inside the front door.waving hellolarious. The first year we were there, people would come and sit in our driveway to watch the 4th of July fireworks. Only that first year. I guess word got around we weren't very neighborly. The dogs did not try to attack, but made ungodly noises. They truly were perfect people repellent.:litebulb We only have one left, must get more.
I like to picture different areas. What you describe, Barren, makes me glad it's 'flat' here LOL

I saw some pix of 'here' earlier, that can give an idea of the size of 'yards' here. I was looking at a news site because there are all kinds of storm warnings up - well, that story was missing, I saw some 'winter pic' gallery at the bottom and was looking at that -

Here it is -

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-140103-dibs-season-pictures/

As you can see - we don't have much of 'yards' here. Is an understatement. I thought they were cute pix too - I like the Penguin smiling smiley

You aren't supposed to do this either - attempt to 'save' or block out your own space on the street. People do it anyway. And if you move someone's blockade and steal their spot - they may retaliate.

Where I live - looks very sim but we do have a tad more space. We have driveways and garages and everything! Oooo Fancy! (Not really, and this really doesn't give you much more space. Drives the RE prices up quite alot, that's for sure - but we are similarly packed in here. And have basically NO 'front yard'. A little bit of a 'back yard'. If you can call it that. No front 'yards' are fenced in my 'hood either, back yards - yes - all fenced.)

I also got a laugh out of the pink 'child's chair' - that's a chair? I would not stick my ass in *that* thing - it looks mondo pinchy!

Oh and the POISON barrel! I need a Poison Barrel! DO WANT! That should scare them away, eh? LOL
I seem to recall a thread about the autard who drowned in a neighbor's pool when they weren't home yet the neighbor still had drama to deal with. That thread was posted in May of 2011.

http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,168820

The above is a link to another one posted in the Living Room in December of the same year. I personally don't want the issues that I feel come with having a swimming pool. I think they're an expensive waste of space and even in the South can only be used part of the year. I also can't tolerate having neighbors.
Several years back on another forum, I read a story about a couple who had a pool and had similar problems with the neighbors. They went on vacation and the neighbors asked if they could use the pool while the homeowners were away. The homeowners said no but that didn't stop the neighbors. They had to cut the vacation short due to illness and when they got back, the neighbors had picked the lock on the gate and were around their pool having a barbecue. They called the police and the guy who organized it was cited for trespassing. Of course, the homeowners became outcasts in the neighborhood and ended up moving. They later learned these people did the same thing to the new owners of the house.
We had a backyard pool when I was a kid, it came with the house. Shortly after we moved in, some neighbors came to our door and whined about how they had been good friends with the previous owners, and could they use the pool? My mother said they could, however, being raised decently, Mom assumed they'd ask permission first. Boy, was she ever wrong.

One day we saw them climbing over the back fence in full swim gear. Luckily, Twinks the psycho dog was not in the yard as she would have gone ballistic. Then they got in the pool, but one brat kept sitting on the edge of the pool, causing it to buckle. Mom asked the mother several times to have the kid sit on the redwood deck to no avail. Finally, she went out and ordered the brat off the pool edge. The mother huffed, and took off in high dudgeon, and never spoke to us again. Not a loss, as far as we were concerned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login