Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird Question About Cleaning a Dining Room Chair?confused smiley

Posted by peace-n-quiet 
Weird Question About Cleaning a Dining Room Chair?confused smiley
May 26, 2014
I spilled Powerade on a dining room chair. The dining room chair has an attached pad that is made of cloth. It looks like the one in the link. How do I get the stain out and how do I keep it from mildewing and attracting ants? I need to get this clean. Thanks.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
Re: Weird Question About Cleaning a Dining Room Chair?confused smiley
May 26, 2014
If you can remove the pad from the chair this might work. It works for blood and jet fuel from work.

Remove the pad from the chair and dump some hydrogen peroxide on the stain. Rinse that out in cold water. Dump some liquid laundry detergent on the stain. Soak it in a bucket of cold water for 24 hours. Then wash it. It should be gone.

Do you have a wet/dry shop vac or the Little Green Clean Machine or an upholstery cleaner? Best thing might be to rent the Rug Doctor with the upholstery attachment with their detergents. Rug Doctor has the best upholstery attachment. You may find, though, that after cleaning the one chair, it may turn out to be cleaner than the rest and you end up having to clean them all to make them look the same.
May 27, 2014
I agree with the other suggestions that have been posted.
It is best to act quickly and progressively work from mild to more aggressive.

It also helps if you can identify your fabric to get more specific stain removal advice.
Generally, fabric is either cleanable by solvents (ie alcohol) or water or both, or neither.

At a guess from the photo, the fabric MAY be microfibre, which is a somewhat durable polyester.
Most microfibre is cleanable by alcohol or water.
Often, new furniture has cleaning instructions that came with it.

CLEANING ADVICE:
1) act fast, the sooner the better because stains set in fabric
2) dismantle the chair (flip chair over, use screwdriver from the bottom)
3) blot the area with several clean paper towels, or cloths DO NOT RUB
4) using water or alcohol damped clean cloths/ paper towels continue to blot the area
5) increase the amount of water /alcohol, if necessary
6) use a small amount of mild detergent (clear) if necessary
7) test a small non-visible area with hydrogen peroxide to see if it removes colour from your fabric
8) if test is OK, use a small amount of hydrogen peroxide, increasing as necessary

if the area is still stained, consider dismantling the cushion
1) turn cushion upside down to see staples that attach fabric to the base
2) take a picture or two of the stapling pattern for future use
3) using a flat screwdriver, remove all staples until you have a piece of fabric, a foam cushion and the base
4) using gentle cleaning methods to work on the now isolated stain on fabric and cushion
5) when dry and clean, reassemble the cushion using your photos and a staple gun.

How to Clean Microfibre
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/05/how-to-clean-a-microfiber-couch-or-sofa.html

Good luck and let us know how it works !
May 28, 2014
mr. neptune
Do you have a wet/dry shop vac or the Little Green Clean Machine or an upholstery cleaner? Best thing might be to rent the Rug Doctor with the upholstery attachment with their detergents. Rug Doctor has the best upholstery attachment. You may find, though, that after cleaning the one chair, it may turn out to be cleaner than the rest and you end up having to clean them all to make them look the same.

I'll remember that for next time. I have some grocery stores near me that have these for rent. Or, I might just by an upholstery cleaner or steam clear for the future myself. Thanks.

"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
May 28, 2014
@Cassia....this is good information. It did work and there is no problem with the chair. I will save this information for future reference. Thanks.

Thanks to all who replied. As usual, you guys are the best. Mr. T: I pitty tha foolhankyou

~Sigmund Freud
May 28, 2014
I bought the steam cleaner five years ago and it's still running strong. It's the best thing I ever did for my house.
May 28, 2014
peace-n-quiet
mr. neptune

I'll remember that for next time. I have some grocery stores near me that have these for rent. Or, I might just by an upholstery cleaner or steam clear for the future myself. Thanks.

The only problem with buying a steam cleaner is that now you end up having to clean your carpets since you have the unit and that's creating more work for you. If it happens again, you can also call a service such as Coit or Stanley Steemer. That's because when you don't have kids, you can afford to call somebody for things like this!
May 29, 2014
I'm glad you got the stain out and your chair fixed up. I just wanted to mention, for future reference, LA's Totally Awesome Orange is a kickass stain remover. It's only a buck if you have Dollar Tree or similar stores around, and it gets out everything!

Awesome Orange
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login