Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

S.I.L. trying to horn in on my vacation rant

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
S.I.L. trying to horn in on my vacation rant
September 11, 2014
First a little background info. My grandparents own a cabin on the lake. My grandfather passed away several years ago and my grandmother has been suffering from several health issues and can no longer live there herself, so she lives in town closer to doctors and hospitals. The rest of my family (aunts, uncles, cousins...) takes turns booking time at the lake to go on vacation. There are a lot of us, so it can get tricky trying to fairly fit everybody into the schedule and make sure everyone gets a turn. There's a family calendar posted online to keep track of who reserves which days.

Anyway, hubby and I had originally booked the weekend of Sept 27th; but discovered later that due to another prior obligation we'd have to cancel. I told my brother and SIL that we were cancelling that weekend, so it would be open if they wanted to book it. Later I found out that this weekend, (Sept 13th) opened up due to somebody else cancelling their reservation, so I jumped on the opportunity and booked it for hubby and I.

I just got a text message from SIL saying "Are you guys going to the lake this weekend? I see your names on the calendar."
So I admit, "yes, we're going out on Friday after work".
SIL: "Oh, cause I remembered you mentioning that you were cancelling your weekend, so when I saw your name on the website calendar, I was just curious"
SIL: "Oh, cause we just got a rare weekend off work and were looking for some place fun to go"... *hint* *hint*
Me: "Yeah, originally we had the 27th booked, but we cancelled that. I booked this weekend later after I noticed it opened up. We invited a few old friends from work to go with us"
SIL: "Oh... well have fun, I guess..."

Keep in mind, my brother and SIL are totally capable of watching the family calendar and booking their own weekend. It's just easier to wait around until the last minute and then try to invite themselves to my reservation.

GRRRR! Oh, and SIL has a worthless lazy shithole kid from a previous marriage that she would have wanted to bring along. NO thanks!
Re: S.I.L. trying to horn in on my vacation rant
September 13, 2014
Are you fucking kidding me?

No. You told her you canceled, and that she could go ahead and make plans, so she did. Yeah, your plans changed back. She didn't know. She just asked if you had actually canceled or not so she could see if things would work or not. She wasn't even a bitch about it when you screwed her over.

She wasn't trying to invite herself, you TOLD her she could have it, then didn't bother to tell her your changed your mind so she had to ask.

You're the one out of line.
September 14, 2014
juliewashere88

No. You told her you canceled, and that she could go ahead and make plans, so she did. Yeah, your plans changed back. She didn't know. She just asked if you had actually canceled or not so she could see if things would work or not. She wasn't even a bitch about it when you screwed her over.

She wasn't trying to invite herself, you TOLD her she could have it, then didn't bother to tell her your changed your mind so she had to ask.

Anyway, hubby and I had originally booked the weekend of Sept 27th; but discovered later that due to another prior obligation we'd have to cancel. I told my brother and SIL that we were cancelling that weekend, so it would be open if they wanted to book it.

Later I found out that this weekend, (Sept 13th) opened up due to somebody else cancelling their reservation, so I jumped on the opportunity and booked it for hubby and I.

Two separate weekends. Canceled one, booked a second one when it opened. Nobody else had weekend two. No changing plans back. Weekend one was still open for cascadehandmades SIL. Sounds like SIL wanted to go when other people were there to dump said kid on them. And that is what is out of line.

juliewashere88

I don't think you read it carefully. The OP originally booked for the 27th and had to cancel, and informed the SIL of this availability. Then, there was a cancellation for the 13th which the OP took advantage of and booked. It's not the same weekend so it's not "plans changed back" or "screwed her over" or "changed your mind."

That said, there may be some possibility the SIL was confused about the weekends. I certainly don't remember exactly when someone is going on vacation unless that person is central to my life, I simply remember "sometime in September." So it is possible that she looked at the schedule and saw the OP for the 13th and thought that was the weekend the OP had originally booked. Unless, of course, she makes a habit of doing this sort of thing...
September 24, 2014
Sell the cabin and use the proceeds to pay for your elderly grandmother's care. Her care needs are likely to increase as she ages. Everyone stops mooching and makes use of this wonderful invention called a hotel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login