Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Walking Dead S5 *spoilers*

Posted by Dorisan 
The Walking Dead S5 *spoilers*
October 18, 2014
Starting a new thread on this since the last one was about S4, also had a discussion on World War Z, and was going into two pages.

Soooo? Impressions?

I read the spoiler and knew what would happen going in, so I muted those first few minutes of the woman screaming in the background. And, at the end, when one woman was shoved back into the train car and another was pulled out, I said "OK, enough of that" *click* I need to go back and fast forward 'cause I missed the after-credit teaser.

Biggest payoff of this episode for me? CAROL!!! CAROL RAWKS!! :::fist pump:::

There has always been the big hooraw about how Rick went through a metamorphosis over the seasons; watching the S1 pilot last night as a comparison, I have to agree he is way different now; but Carol, IMO, is the character who is the least recognizable in comparison to the beginning. Timid, abused wife now a warrior.

A thought occurred to me, watching the first episode. We might be into the fifth season of the show, but how much "real time" has passed? Lori became pregnant with Judith early in the 1st season, given the fact that she stopped having sex with Shane when Rick turned up. She died in childbirth in S3, at the prison, and now Judith is not yet at the walking stage. So - what? Less that two years has passed for the group in real time? The world has certainly decayed; humanity sunk to its lowest stage with cannibalism and roving bands of rapists; in a short time.
Re: The Walking Dead S5 *spoilers*
October 18, 2014
I loved the premiere episode and I'm so glad we didn't have to endure weeks of them being trapped in the train car.

I will say although Carol's assault on Terminus defied credulity, that I did indeed love the way the whole thing went down. It's hard to see someone, anyone, do a scene like that and have it be believable, since it's generally action films where the protagonist is shown to be virtually indestructible. So, while it was a little hokey, I was glad to see Carol rain hell down on the Termites and free her people.

That being said, I don't want this to turn into a series where things like this happen on a regular basis. These folks are indeed extremely vulnerable, even though they're battle-hardened at this point. They are still greatly outnumbered by foes, both zombies and crazy folks, and so I don't want to see them running around decimating everyone and everything like a bad action movie.

I think things will slow down a bit, for the next episode or so, because we're going to see whether they attempt to "save the world" by following Eugene or where they go next. Though I am not a comic reader, I've read enough to have a good idea where they are going to try and go. But, there's enough left up in the air, that it's not telegraphed, which is good.

We have Morgan's return; Beth is still missing; and of course Gareth was only shot in the shoulder, so I imagine he could be popping up again in the near future.

All in all, I'm excited to see where this season will go.

As for time passage, it's a bit confusing. I would have to say that at least 2 years have passed, but, of course Carl has grown up a lot, while Judith has not. I have to imagine that they want a baybee that can be carried rather than one that is mobile, just for the sake of filming, but, I would think that Judith should be at the age where she is walking and talking. It's hard to say though.
October 18, 2014
cfchevygirl
I loved the premiere episode and I'm so glad we didn't have to endure weeks of them being trapped in the train car.

Same here. My thought "ohgawd, please don't let this be like Herschel's farm." That crap went on and on and on ...

cfchevygirl
That being said, I don't want this to turn into a series where things like this happen on a regular basis. These folks are indeed extremely vulnerable, even though they're battle-hardened at this point. They are still greatly outnumbered by foes, both zombies and crazy folks, and so I don't want to see them running around decimating everyone and everything like a bad action movie.

Well, the seasons subsequent to S1 have started out with a bang:
S2 - the interstate pileup and Walker herd
S3 - finding the prison and cleaning out the Walkers
S4 - Walmart Walkers

Each season seems to have a viewer-grabbing opener.

What I find gratifying is that the series survived the loss of Frank Darabont. I thought he got the crappy end of the stick - TWD wouldn't even have started, if not for him, and he got the boot - but the series has continued in a more or less quality vein.

cfchevygirl
I think things will slow down a bit, for the next episode or so, because we're going to see whether they attempt to "save the world" by following Eugene or where they go next. Though I am not a comic reader, I've read enough to have a good idea where they are going to try and go. But, there's enough left up in the air, that it's not telegraphed, which is good.

Hopefully Beth is found in the next couple of episodes. The "where's Sophie?" plot got drug out in S2 and, even though it provided a shocking mid-season resolution, fans were quite critical of how much of the season revolved around a missing kid.

I know that the Eugene story line will be the impetus to send them east, toward Washington (and another colossal Bad Guy), but the way the character has played out so far has been quite underwhelming, to me. The guy is just not believable. Even the additional details he gave, during the train car standoff, asks for a huge-HUGE suspension of disbelief that anyone should risk their life getting him to Washington.

I'm looking forward to the "spinoff" series. WD creater Robert Kirkman promises to "construct a new world and a new pocket of this universe that is just as entertaining but completely different.."

There has been so much about the current series that has been spoilered by comparisons to the comics that the spinoff promises more anticipation for me.
October 18, 2014
I LOVE the character growth Carol has gotten. I haven't watched Season 1 since it originally aired, but I imagine if I went back and watched it, I'd be shocked at how timid and afraid Carol was in the beginning and the certified badass she is now. She pissed me off in S2 because she didn't go out searching for her own daughter while the menfolk went out every day trying to find Sophia and Daryl nearly died doing so. But maybe her inaction and the discovery of Walker!Sophia was the final catalyst into who she is now.

I'm really glad they got Terminus out of the way early on. I was afraid that was going to get dragged out like the prison and the Governor. I wish Gareth had been killed, too. He doesn't need to pop up later on.

Eugene is full of shit. He was in the comics. And you know, when you're selling false hope to desperate people in order to get them to risk their lives to protect you, stop it with the, "I'm so much smarter than you plebes so let me condescend to you and act like a shithead." Because that's a great way to ensure that the main group will kill you in a rather horrible way once they find out you're full of shit.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
October 20, 2014
cfchevygirl
I Gareth was only shot in the shoulder, so I imagine he could be popping up again in the near future.

All in all, I'm excited to see where this season will go.

He's baaaack. Yesterday? OMFG. And yes, Carol rocks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
November 02, 2014
paragon schnitzophonic
Eugene is full of shit. He was in the comics. And you know, when you're selling false hope to desperate people in order to get them to risk their lives to protect you, stop it with the, "I'm so much smarter than you plebes so let me condescend to you and act like a shithead." Because that's a great way to ensure that the main group will kill you in a rather horrible way once they find out you're full of shit.

I checked TWD wiki about Eugene. Wow.

Considering how Rick has become quite ruthless, I have to wonder how he'll react to that spectacular shit show Eugene has conjured?
November 03, 2014
I know I'm talking about a show where Maggie has not mentioned jackshit about her sister who has been missing for quite some time and has only been concerned about Glenn and is quite happy now that they've been reunited, but I am a little surprised that not a single person has pointed out that any doctor that specializes in virology and has a chance in hell of curing the virus would have been at ground zero in one of the CDC facilities in D.C., Atlanta, NYC, somewhere. Not wandering in the backwoods of Georgia or wherever Eugene was found. If there was any other CDC location open and functioning, wouldn't Dr. Jennings from S1 have had any communication with them?

I understand needing that glimmer of hope and following that light, but for fuck's sake, ask some questions before being so willing to lay your life on the line. That would have been my first question: "Where the hell were you when this shit first went down?" Then, "How exactly does your cure work? Don't weasel out of an answer by insulting my intelligence or using Orwellian double-speak to give a non-answer. Lay it out straight. If I'm going to be risking my ass to protect you halfway across the Eastern Seaboard, I am entitled to knowing everything you do."

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
November 09, 2014
The thing with Eugene is, he does not come across as remotely believable. And since we know Rick's group is not a bunch of morons, I can't fathom why they are remotely taking Eugene at face value.
November 11, 2014
Actually, I believe Eugene and the red-headed military dude met up in Houston.

FWIW, I'm getting realllllly tired of the vagueness in these episodes. A lot of "them"s and "they"s and other pronouns to describe generalities of the situation.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all up for new episodes. Just seems like the latest haven't really gone anywhere.
November 13, 2014
the noodler
Actually, I believe Eugene and the red-headed military dude met up in Houston.

Abraham was about to eat his gun before Eugene came tottering along, running like his pants were full of crap, with two or three zombies nipping at his heels. I actually voiced a loud guffaw at that. "I think they're getting faster!" Eugene screeched

After killing the zombies, Abraham was walking away, but Eugene intoned "I have a mission." Gotta give the guy props for being able to think up a lie so quickly
November 13, 2014
the noodler
FWIW, I'm getting realllllly tired of the vagueness in these episodes. A lot of "them"s and "they"s and other pronouns to describe generalities of the situation.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all up for new episodes. Just seems like the latest haven't really gone anywhere.

I'm losing patience.

The tv version has to have a lot of suspense and drag on enough to get to another season (just read that it has been renewed for S6). But, I'm watching it and squawking "a prison? You're going to make a refuge out of a nasty prison? Why not a building from an office park? You could do so much with that!" and "Dummies! Have you never heard of solar power? Rain barrels? You're getting water from a nasty river that Walkers have probably splashed in?" I really plotzed when the Governor created that makeshift camp from a bunch of dirty, leaking RVs. There are RV dealers in just about every city; certainly there would be better vehicles parked in backyards.

My zompocalypse would be more constructive I guess. I'm still a fan of the show; it has had an influence when Dh and I travel. A couple years ago, we visited Cumberland Falls in KY and stayed at the lodge. Dh snorted back a laugh when he saw me walking the grounds and looking at the buildings with a pensive expression. When he remarked "cool place," I said "yeaaah, I think this would be a good place to ride out a zombie plague. Nice, secure buildings, right by the river, in the middle of nowhere ....."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login