Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fox is remaking Rocky Horror....

Posted by kittehpeoples 
Fox is remaking Rocky Horror....
January 05, 2016
...is there any way this can end well?

My sister told me about it tonight. I said, "They'll cast a woman as Frank." I googled it when we got home, and they've cast a woman as Frank.

I'm aghast.

(I'm not sure why I thought bratfree was an appropriate place to share my anguish, except that this seems like the sort of group that would get it. smiling smiley )
Re: Fox is remaking Rocky Horror....
January 05, 2016
kittehpeoples
...is there any way this can end well?

My sister told me about it tonight. I said, "They'll cast a woman as Frank." I googled it when we got home, and they've cast a woman as Frank.

I'm aghast.

(I'm not sure why I thought bratfree was an appropriate place to share my anguish, except that this seems like the sort of group that would get it. smiling smiley )

There can never be another Riff Raff

thom_c
There can never be another Riff Raff

Agreed. I'd have a hard time recasting Riff or Frank. Barry Bostwick also did a great job, and Meatloaf was apparently the first singer they'd gotten who could get all the words in "Hot Patootie" to scan correctly.

Dunno, it's a little like remaking Casablanca. Why? What do they think they can possibly add to the original? And how can they think they can improve on it when it'll have to be diced up for tv anyway? (I know they aren't really trying to add to or improve upon the original...it's just a cash cow to them.)

The whole thing makes me shudder.
January 06, 2016
Rather than taking a chance on coming up with something original, they'd rather just rehash an existing successful piece of entertainment. It'll get people's attention, and even if it gets bad reviews, they'll probably be much more likely to make their money back on a remake than on a brand-new story. This goes for any film studio, not just Fox. Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles remake was a $125 million piece of shit, but apparently it was good enough to warrant making a sequel (with half the budget of the first film).

In my opinion, nothing's going to top the original Rocky Horror. All the actors were perfect for their roles and there is absolutely nothing new anybody could do with it to make it better, unless perhaps they do some kind of fully gender-reversed version of it, but that would probably be a big shit heap too. Also, if I recall correctly, one of the lines in "Sweet Transvestite" goes like this: "I'm not much of a man by the light of day, but by night, I'm one hell of a lover." Now how the fuck are they gonna do that with a lady Frank N. Furter and have it make any sense? Is Frank still a transvestite if a woman is playing the role? For me, one of the most defining details of the original Rocky Horror was Tim Curry's voice and performance, and I just don't think anybody's going to top that.

It's Fox, so I expect epic fucking up with every aspect of this production.
January 06, 2016
Apparently, they learned nothing when both the Jem and the Holograms and Point Break remakes flopped hard.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
January 06, 2016
I like to think that O'Brien and Jim Sharman had no control over this...the original movie was a Fox production, so I would guess that Fox still owns the rights. I'd hate to know that the original writers signed off on this.
January 11, 2016
Look what happened after they decided to remake Labyrinth.
January 11, 2016
yurble

Didn't know they did! What happened?
January 11, 2016
Wasn't a fan of the original.

I thought it was STUPID.

I also DETEST "Meatloaf". (Who is now a right wing nut job.)

Maybe I was too young to really appreciate this ~

But I'm not that young (40)

And I do know about 'glam rock' and all that -

Speaking of which - T. Curry as Franken Fart or whatever the character's name was - was just plain UGLY. Where is the appeal - on any of this mess here?

Yes, I 'get' that it's supposed to be a joke, too.

IMO it was stupid and boring.

The Late David Bowie - HE was Glam Rock.
And Nth more talented.

IMO Rocky Horror was, and is - garbage. I'd put this in the same category as "Grease".

Annoying GARBAGE which some IDIOT forces you to watch.

ACK! NO!

HATED it then, have no reason to look at any remake. Nor see 'the original' EVER again. I'd sooner claw my eyes out.

They may as well do a remake of those I feel like chicken tonight! US TV ads. I would class this in the same 'genre'.
January 12, 2016
kittehpeoples
yurble

David Bowie died. (Two unconnected events, of course.)
January 12, 2016
yurble
kittehpeoples
yurble

David Bowie died. (Two unconnected events, of course.)

Oh, too soon! winking smiley
January 12, 2016
Zzelda
Annoying GARBAGE which some IDIOT forces you to watch.

So we're all idiots? Thanks.
January 14, 2016
Watched all of RHPS and, admittedly, I only go back for the "Time Warp" and "Sweet Transvestite" segments. I do think there was a lot of ingenuity and imagination executed under a very low budget, somewhat like "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert." The costumes for that movie were created from materials bought at Kmart because a relative of one of the movie folks worked there and got a discount.

RHPS introduced Tim Curry to the world, which justifies its existence. He went on to create the Demon in "Legend" and Pennywise in "IT" (which, along with "The Stand," is heading toward remake land). Once Tim Curry creates a character, he owns it, which is why a remake of RHPS will not be a success, no matter how much money Fox throws at it.
January 14, 2016
Dorisan
Watched all of RHPS and, admittedly, I only go back for the "Time Warp" and "Sweet Transvestite" segments. I do think there was a lot of ingenuity and imagination executed under a very low budget, somewhat like "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert." The costumes for that movie were created from materials bought at Kmart because a relative of one of the movie folks worked there and got a discount.

Personally I think the camp and the low budget suit it; it does deal with outdated ideas (sexual repression), so the Ed Wood-era look kind of fits. My opinion, of course. smiling smiley I didn't know about stuff being bought at Kmart-- that's fun. smiling smiley

Dorisan
RHPS introduced Tim Curry to the world, which justifies its existence. He went on to create the Demon in "Legend" and Pennywise in "IT" (which, along with "The Stand," is heading toward remake land). Once Tim Curry creates a character, he owns it, which is why a remake of RHPS will not be a success, no matter how much money Fox throws at it.

Absolutely agreed. Love Tim Curry. Have you seen Muppet Treasure Island? He's a great Long John Silver. grinning smiley It's a musical, and he has one song. It includes the line, "Upstage, lads, this is my only number." He plays every role with such aplomb.
January 15, 2016
It gets worse:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/adam-lambert-play-eddie-rocky-193526398.html

Adam Lambert To Play Eddie In ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ Fox TV Remake

no, just no

Oh my. thumbs downRHPC should be untouchable. I know I won't see the remake; can't imagine any fan of the original would bother with it, either.

It takes a child to raze a village.
January 26, 2016
thom_c
It gets worse:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/adam-lambert-play-eddie-rocky-193526398.html

Adam Lambert To Play Eddie In ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ Fox TV Remake

no, just no

If anything Adam Lambert should play Frank. He is theatrical enough and androgynous enough to be passable.

But I predict this shit will go down about as well as an abortion in a Catholic Church.
February 02, 2016
My True Rocky Horror Story:

I was introduced to Rocky Horror in my early college days, late 80's early 90's, by an old flame of mine. Not only did we see it at midnight but it also had a live stage show going on. As it turned out the gal who was playing Janet was a classmate of mine in high school who was quite the little prude and here she is in a slip and bra..... literally. It turns out she knew my guy friend from doing the show before and told him that their Riff had bailed on them and asked if he could do it.

Let me tell you this. When he put on the wig, along with his thin physique, he became Riff.

During the performance the gal I knew playing janet was all over him like a bad suit. And it turns out that Little Miss prude was also somewhat of a nymphomaniac. She was especially hot for my guy pal, and that is another story in itself.

Upon hearing of this Female Frank casting..... I just died a little bit.
February 11, 2016
the noodler
My True Rocky Horror Story:

I was introduced to Rocky Horror in my early college days, late 80's early 90's, by an old flame of mine. Not only did we see it at midnight but it also had a live stage show going on. As it turned out the gal who was playing Janet was a classmate of mine in high school who was quite the little prude and here she is in a slip and bra..... literally. It turns out she knew my guy friend from doing the show before and told him that their Riff had bailed on them and asked if he could do it.

Let me tell you this. When he put on the wig, along with his thin physique, he became Riff.

During the performance the gal I knew playing janet was all over him like a bad suit. And it turns out that Little Miss prude was also somewhat of a nymphomaniac. She was especially hot for my guy pal, and that is another story in itself.

Upon hearing of this Female Frank casting..... I just died a little bit.

Fun story! smiling smiley

And yeah, a female Frank? It's the passing of an era.

(They have cast Tim Curry as the Criminologist. I don't know if he actually thinks the remake's a good idea or he just wants to be part of it or, god forbid, just needs the work...I'm not sure how I feel about it. Seeing him in anything is always a pleasure. But this? I just don't know.)
February 13, 2016
kittehpeoples
(They have cast Tim Curry as the Criminologist. I don't know if he actually thinks the remake's a good idea or he just wants to be part of it or, god forbid, just needs the work...I'm not sure how I feel about it. Seeing him in anything is always a pleasure. But this? I just don't know.)

Wow. I don't know if that is meant to be a morbid draw or a tribute to him.

Curry seems to be recovering quite well from the 2012 stroke that really knocked him down. LINK
February 15, 2016
Dorisan
Wow. I don't know if that is meant to be a morbid draw or a tribute to him.

I'm right there with you on that.

Dorisan
Curry seems to be recovering quite well from the 2012 stroke that really knocked him down. LINK

YES. That is very good to see!

(Wish I could have seen Eric Idle's play mentioned at that link-- look at that cast!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login