Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tv shows to watch

Posted by mistress rotwang 
Tv shows to watch
February 26, 2016
I thought it would be a good idea to make a post about good tv shows.

My first recommendation is the Canadian series Murdock Mysteries. It is a crime procedural set in Victorian Canada. It is also one of the few shows that present an honest portrayal of abortion and abortion rights. One of the early episodes involves an underground abortion gone wrong. It is later revealed that the female lead (who is a doctor) had a botched underground abortion in medical school that inspired one of her classmates to provide safe abortions at his clinic. When she is later asked if she regrets having an abortion her answer is a resounding no and that having an abortion was the best decision that she made in her situation. This answer causes the male lead (a Catholic detective) to examine his views on abortion and realize that he was in the wrong. This show tackles other controversial modern issues without shying away from them.

Any other good shows?
Re: Tv shows to watch
February 26, 2016
I love Murdoch Mysteries! I used to watch it all the time! Awesome program. Thanks for reminding me to start watching again.
February 26, 2016
Hannibal. Well-written, delicious looking food (which makes it all the more disturbing when you know where the food comes from), and pretty gnarly deaths.

Les Revenants, a zombie story that's a little different. The dead return just how they were when they were alive and don't know that they've died.

Netflix shows: House of Cards, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
March 03, 2016
I have been watching the Batman cartoon from the early 90s. I am shocked that my parents let me watch it because it's dark and talks about serious issues. But now I know why my grandma always knew what time it was on because it is excellent.
March 07, 2016
Z Nation

It's by the same people who brought us Sharknado, and started pretty much in the same vein. In fact, one episode found the characters taking cover from a tornado. Said tornado was picking up zombies and flinging them with abandon. Roberta (sort of the Rick Grimes of the group) quips "those ain't sharks!"

As the season progressed and moved into S2, though, the series started to grow a heart. Most of it is in the hands of the actors, who truly create the characters.

What else? Oh.. Grace and Frankie. Not for the male actors, though I'm a big Sam Waterston fan, but Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. The relationship between those two feels more real than the former husbands who have been sneaking an affair for the last several decades.

Being Human. I wonder how I missed that; I'm just now watching it. The werewolf guy gets on my last nerve and makes me wish someone would plug him with a silver bullet, but Aidan the vampire and Sally the ghost are wonderful.
March 07, 2016
It took me a few episodes to really like Z nation, but I do now. They try to work a significant amount of humor into it too, it's not quite as dedicated to the edge of your seat as TWD is.
I agree the cast really pulled it together and made it far better than you might expect from the first episode or two.
There are a lot of awkward tension moments and I feel set up for a joke, but then they take it in a serious direction, and the same with dangerous moments where you expect a zombie, but haha! it was a joke at someone's expense. They mix it up in just the right amounts, I think. But too much scary makes me sleep badly, so it depends on your tastes.

LOVED Being Human, the UK version, haven't tried the US one.

Got about half an episode into Grace and Frankie and my husband scoffed that I was watching it. May have to try again sometime. smiling smiley
March 09, 2016
The Red Green Show!!

Evan Davis
March 09, 2016
Presto
LOVED Being Human, the UK version, haven't tried the US one.

I started to watch the UK version; not sure why I stopped. Maybe it didn't grab me as quickly as the US version.

But, truly, Josh the Werewolf - *ugh* - perhaps it's because he is soooo neurotic and self-absorbed about this horribly unwanted state in which he now exists. Thankfully, there are moments of humor for him. Finding companionship in another werewolf, the two men begin discussing the really hated parts of being wolfish. A big thing seems to be throwing up, as a human, whatever the Wolf hunts and eats. Josh: "I think the wolf eats its own poo."

Aidan the vampire, and Sally the ghost, are more complex and interesting. They are no less miserable in their current forms, but it seems like the writers are able to come up with story lines that are more diverse than those for the werewolf.
March 13, 2016
pitbullgirl1965
The Red Green Show!!

I love Red Green! And it's very CF-friendly.
March 21, 2016
I watched Jessica Jones and Daredevil on Netflix. Great shows. I have started the Murdoch Mysteries, I am enjoying it!

I am going through the TV show What's my Line? on YT. The panelists are so witty and well spoken. I love it. I remember the show when I was really, really young. The mystery guests and panelist line up was amazing! HUGE stars like Liz Taylor, Paul Newman, were on all the time. And it had a long run.

I got Acorn TV through Amazon, so I will be watching many murder mystery shows there. I like Foyle's War very much until the war ended.

I also love House of Cards. Frank Underwood hates children. Ahahahha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrieking babbies are the most effective birth control on earth.
April 04, 2016
Luther
How to get away with murder
Bates Motel
Ray Donovan
Rectify
April 20, 2016
Supernatural is refreshingly bratfree. Sure, Dean did father a kid with an amazon woman, but Sam promptly offed the brat.
April 20, 2016
JoJo
Supernatural is refreshingly bratfree. Sure, Dean did father a kid with an amazon woman, but Sam promptly offed the brat.

LOL

He did what?

I watched it, here and there, but had other shows going on and didn't develop enough of a following to get hooked. I've been thinking of getting the DVDs from Netflix and binge watching, now that it's been on - what - about 10 years?

Second season of "Fear the Walking Dead." Two shows in and while I'm still undecided, at least it hasn't pissed me off like this season of "The Walking Dead." After the mid-season "is Glen dead?" arc, and how it took several episodes to finally resolve the mystery, I began to really not like it. Throw in the incongruous pairing of Rick and Michonne, and I'm going "the hell?" I didn't watch any episodes after that. I bought the season on Amazon so it's there when I feel like it. Reading about the season finale's "who did Neagan kill?" threw me into a deep snit. I'm not subscribing to next season on Amazon. I'm not going to watch it on AMC. Maybe after the series has ended - which, honestly, I wish would be soon - I'll catch up after developing a sense of detachment for the scattered bullshit construction of these last couple of seasons.

There have been a few outstanding episodes. The pilot episode, "The Grove," even the episode where Tyreese was killed, for all its odd construction. But overall, the series has been a steady letdown as each season progressed.
April 21, 2016
Dean had a one-nighter with an Amazon, she gave birth the next day, the brat grew to teen-sized in three days, went over to Dean's place to kill him, and Sam, noble, pure, good, Sam, promptly drilled her between the eyes. Sweet!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login