Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

George Carlin honored!

Posted by learnernotlurker 
George Carlin honored!
March 24, 2016
The Library of Congress chooses 25 recordings every year from our nation's history, as best representatives of our nation's culture. There were classical recordings, of course, and 70s pop music among the selections--and George Carlin's early recording _Class Clown_. This has always been my favorite album: besides the title monologue, the CD contains Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television and I Used To Be Irish Catholic.

The latter monologue made me an atheist in junior high: after hearing,"They just got rid of the rule that you go to hell for eating meat on Friday. But I bet there are still guys doing time on a meat rap," my Catholic school-trained brain exploded. When the fireworks died down, I was a critical thinker.

Note to mods: I'll understand if this thread gets bumped: it's not a rant but a celebration. But I'd like maximum readership here for a while: with his riffs on abortion, kids not being special, parents being jerks, and the state of critical thinking in America, I say George Carlin (father of one) has done more to promote CF values than anyone else I can think of.

Mod note: posts should be put in the part of the forum which best fits the topic. This goes in the patio, because it doesn't fit the living room topic.
Re: George Carlin honored!
March 25, 2016
I have that album. I love it! The rest of my family members (except for sis) are Catholic, and for some who-knows-why reason, she, my mother, and my extremely devout aunt were listening to the "I used to be Irish Catholic" track. My aunt was on the verge of getting offended until my mother pointed out that you can't really fault anything Carlin says-- he's absolutely truthful about all of it. My aunt shut up, but I know she didn't like it. I have no idea where my mom was coming from on that day, but good on her for seeing it honestly. smiling smiley

(Actually, on second thought I may know where my mom's attitude was coming from...she loves her religion, but really felt betrayed by the Catholic schools and how badly they treated their students. Since the schools are what Carlin was riffing on....)
March 30, 2016
My parents raised my brother and I on a steady diet of George Carlin. Many of my early days were spent with his HBO specials on the TV. A few years before his death we were able to see him live. My father refers to it as seeing God.

I credit much of my personality as an adult to this early exposure.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
May 16, 2016
I spent one year in Catholic school and that was enough. Not only did they treat many students badly they also practiced serious favoritism towards the children of wealthy and/or influential parents. I also went to a Lutheran school that wasn't much better.

I like George Carlin's routine about abortion and how he says it's all about the fetus and once it's here, the prolifers no longer care about it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login