Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

has anyone here ever eloped?

Posted by ladybug2203 
has anyone here ever eloped?
April 20, 2016
If yes how did your families take it? I'm currently single, but if I ever get married someday, I'd like to elope to Vegas just the two of us, and get married in a helicopter by fat Elvis flying over the Vegas strip. Although if my hypothetical partner wanted his family there I would not deny that to him, and I'd be willing to compromise if he wanted a wedding (although he'd have to do the heavy lifting in the planning, I think most men will change their mind after that haha).

My mother is dying for me to get married and take me dress shopping, I absolutely do NOT want a traditional wedding gown. If she were a passive observer I wouldn't mind dragging her and dad along as witnesses, but I know she'd be complaining about my choice of attire and not "walking down the aisle" and she will drive me absolutely crazy.

I know its moot because I'm single, and if I do get married I'll absolutely elope anyway (assuming partner is cool with it), just curious as to any elopement experiences and how your family took it. Thanks!
Re: has anyone here ever eloped?
April 20, 2016
http://www.vivalasvegasweddings.com/wedding_tours_vivalasvegasstyle.htm

Not an "elopement," but Dh and I refused to go the whole hog ceremony/guests/reception route. No way were we going to get up in front of a bunch of people, endure the crowd afterward and be the center of attention at the reception.
*blech - yech - vomit icon*

We went to the family's church, had Dh's brother and wife as witnesses, and got it over with in about 15 minutes.

I'm all for having the wedding you and your partner want. This thing about other people thinking they should have a say feels revolting.
April 21, 2016
thom_c
http://www.vivalasvegasweddings.com/wedding_tours_vivalasvegasstyle.htm

Hey that's where I got married by Elvis*!!!! We didn't elope but it was a good time. Coming up on 11 years next month.

*His name was actually Gary and he also fixed the hot tub in our room the next day. Another also to know about getting married by Elvis in Vegas, is that they aren't certified to officially marry a couple, it's just for the ceremony. After we had our Elvis vows, we did our official "I dos" by a JOP in a side room. It's also an extra charge. I think ours was fifty bucks and we tipped her also.
April 22, 2016
I wonder if there are any official studies comparing the longevity of marriages between couples that eloped/went super low-key and those that had full-blown weddings.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
April 25, 2016
paragon schnitzophonic
I wonder if there are any official studies comparing the longevity of marriages between couples that eloped/went super low-key and those that had full-blown weddings.

I've wondered the same thing myself. I do know there's studies showing that big, fancy wedding of very young people tend to not last as long...young marriage in general correlates with divorce, but apparently the fancier wedding is also an indicator for that age range. And about 24 seems to be when chances improve.
April 26, 2016
My remaining grandpa says there is an inverse relationship between cost of wedding and potential length of the relationship. He was saying that in regards to my doing a camp out wedding on the beach, nice and cheap. He also recommends holding hands as often as possible, which we already do, but it's not something everybody likes, I've dated a couple guys who hated it and ultimately we weren't compatible. Maybe they eventually found some non handholding partners that fit them.
May 03, 2016
I eloped and the marriage lasted 4 years. It only lasted that long because he was stationed overseas and I had to wait for his return. We dated longer then the marriage actually lasted. Do what you want, marriage is work and requires both people to put in the effort.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login