Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Discussion on Death

Posted by jiltedkitten 
A Discussion on Death
May 02, 2016
Recently, I've wondered why people stigmatise suicide. Have there been any instances of people just wanting to not wake up? You don't have to be depressed to feel like you're contented. I looked up "contented suicide" and haven't found anything, but I'm wondering if the search engine is built to display other links, as I've found that looking up ways on YouTube is usually people posting religious videos. Although I did see recently a video of a woman in Ireland who is in her 100s angry that she wakes up everyday. People find her funny and brutally honest, but you can tell she's just through and not depressed.

However, even for those who have depression, that's been most likely passed down through breeding all this time, knowingly passing it down, forcing a new generation of people into a life of mental illness, which is completely unfair. For instance, I was watching a Buzzfeed video where one woman said she got through it and it was "going to be OK, and you can still have children", but said she still experienced episodes. Her children probably will, also.

I was hoping to get some insightful conversation going on this topic instead of the typical suicide prevention bingo.

What are your thoughts, being a fellow childfree individual, on this topic?
Re: A Discussion on Death
May 02, 2016
From what I know, the stigma against suicide is specific to western culture and stems from religion. The prevention approach has spread, however, and is now found outside of its original scope.

Personally, I consider suicide an acceptable solution to terminal illness or intense suffering. It bothers me that many countries don't have a provision for letting people die.

I support bodily autonomy, which includes the right to end one's life. There are some people who cannot imagine why a woman would get an abortion if she had sufficient support in place - they cannot grasp women who don't want to endure pregnancy, or who have a moral objection to reproducing. Likewise, I think people who are against suicide at all costs are reducing the diversity of human experience to their own lust for life. Therefore I am convinced that there will be situations where a mentally healthy person will determine that suicide is the best option.

There are certainly people who suffer from treatable mental conditions who may in the end find life preferable to suicide, and help should absolutely be available. Suicide as a deliberate choice doesn't upset me, but suicide due to lack of assistance does.
Re: A Discussion on Death
May 02, 2016
yurble
From what I know, the stigma against suicide is specific to western culture and stems from religion. The prevention approach has spread, however, and is now found outside of its original scope.

Personally, I consider suicide an acceptable solution to terminal illness or intense suffering. It bothers me that many countries don't have a provision for letting people die.

I support bodily autonomy, which includes the right to end one's life. There are some people who cannot imagine why a woman would get an abortion if she had sufficient support in place - they cannot grasp women who don't want to endure pregnancy, or who have a moral objection to reproducing. Likewise, I think people who are against suicide at all costs are reducing the diversity of human experience to their own lust for life. Therefore I am convinced that there will be situations where a mentally healthy person will determine that suicide is the best option.

There are certainly people who suffer from treatable mental conditions who may in the end find life preferable to suicide, and help should absolutely be available. Suicide as a deliberate choice doesn't upset me, but suicide due to lack of assistance does.

I agree. As a sufferer of depression, I can get the help I need, and I do it with utmost importance. But at times when I am at my peak health mentally and physically, I find the idea of knowing exactly how my death would happen to be peaceful and comforting. Don't worry, I am not going to do this anytime soon. Probably when I feel my faculties are too worn down from age in my 70s or 80s, however, I would like the option of a peaceful drug-induced suicide the same people in places it is legal get who are terminally ill and able-minded to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login