Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reading The News

Posted by louiedalump 
Reading The News
August 23, 2016
Greetings, all - Is it just me, or, has the ability to write simple declarative sentences been essentially lost? I read a lot of news items on the online newswires (MSNBC, FoxNews.com, CNN Online, etc) and at least a time or two each day, I come across something that is just barely a gnat's whisker above being a random word salad. Example: A sandwich shop has had to drop its "Trump Sandwich" due to backlash. I think it is a bologna-based sandwich - that's the joke about it - but the article described it as "two slices of white bread between a pile of bologna." (Fox news, I think) I often find incomplete sentences, really bizarre word choices, things combined that don't even remotely go together, and paragraphs that, after I try to read them, I wonder, "What were they actually trying to say?" All right, I know errors will sneak through once in a while, but this is getting to be "the new normal." My third grade English teacher is probably sitting up in her grave waving her ruler around. What gives? On the childfree boards, I often notice that folks who say "English is not my first language" seem to write MUCH better English than the people who are paid to write for the newswires. What gives?
Re: Reading The News
August 26, 2016
That is extremely interesting. I often over analyze what I write and recorrect it multiple times. I know that some reporters are borderline retarded and/or lazy. In many news articles, the writers keep calling a scuba cylinder an oxygen tank!
Re: Reading The News
August 26, 2016
Fox news?

Click here to login