Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Roots" of racism

Posted by Techie 
"Roots" of racism
September 04, 2016
I came across this article and I have realized something: I could relate to it, except that I did not have a twin brother but had all sisters.

I grew up in a big city with people of all kinds of backgrounds. I know exactly what the guy in this article has encountered.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2012/03/racism_is_for_losers.html

Things have improved since when I was a kid, but we still have ways to go.

Racism is not something that people are born with. It is something that takes a long time to develop. Poor parenting skills breed and perpetuate racism. It is used by some politicians to divide people, drive down wages and destroy economies.
Re: "Roots" of racism
September 05, 2016
Kids tend to learn what they are taught. So I can see why someone thinks teaching them about diversity might help address the problem of racism, but what would help a lot more would be if they weren't being exposed to racist attitudes from other vectors. But, seeing as there is no breeding license and racism is pretty widespread, how can we fix the problem?

Lately it seems as if various politicians (Nigel Farage, Donald Trump) are making it socially acceptable to make outright racist statements that just a few years ago people who secretly harbored those views would have been ashamed to state out loud without prefacing with a bullshit "I'm not racist but...."

As with sexism (gendered toys and infant clothes were just not a thing when I was a kid), things seem to be moving backward.
September 05, 2016
We did, for certain, have taken a few steps backwards. I have also noticed a return of a push for religion as well. They say that battle is fought the hardest right before it is lost. In my personal observation, the number of people that surround me who are non-religious has grown. Is the religion digging it's heels in and attempting to retain the hold on things?

It is no secret that bible has several racist statements. I have my theory on why. Again, this is just my theory. Racism has been used by oppressors to divide and control people. Religion also required control. It would use the same old tactic of division and control by means of racism.

Current political front runners, they are trying the old nasty trick to get to the spot where they want to be. The times have changed and while some things are going backwards, more people are aware of what is happening than ever before.
September 06, 2016
Because I live in an all white community, I used to think that racism was gone, and everybody was treated equal. Dead muckafucking wrong. I learned all about racist stereotypes from the media i.e. internet.
February 03, 2017
I agree that racism is learned. But I don't think it will ever be eradicated 100% no matter how forward-thinking we humans become. Same with sexism and homophobia. There's just something about the "otherness" in people that is too easy to blame for all things bad. From a bigot's perspective, if a Hispanic person commits a crime, it's clearly because they're Hispanic and Hispanic people are an inferior race. If a woman drives badly, it's obviously because she's a woman and women are terrible drivers. And so on. It's significantly harder to acknowledge the flaws within the bigot's own psyche than to point the finger outward.

Projection will always be a thing. It's why so many vocal homophobes turn out to be closeted gays. big grin with biting lip
February 06, 2017
Although I think some racism is learned and can be taught or un-taught, I believe humans are born being suspicious of people who look different or act differently and it's genetic memory. If strangers came to your village and they didn't look like you, there was a good chance your village was about to be raided and death or suffering was likely.

The site where this article is seems pretty right wing whacko. They may call themselves thinkers but they are hitting all the cliches on abortion in another article about Roe v. Wade.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/02/what_roe_v_wade_may_bring.html

Here are some choice quotes:

In the introductory paragraph:

In the aftermath of the March for Life and in anticipation of dull feminist caterwauling over a conservative pick to fill Justice Scalia's Supreme Court seat, it is useful to consider precisely what Roe v. Wade did

The author of the article discusses the implications of the Supreme Court defining a fetus as a person, then makes this flawed analogy:

Ironically, these unborn "persons" would be granted the same status in law women were granted when their husbands were no longer automatically the "head of the household," which feminists long have ballyhooed as a triumph of human rights.

Not biased at all:

Feminists who rejoice at the right to murder that person a pregnant woman carries inside her may wish to think about just what might happen if conservatives find that the only way to protect the unborn is to have the Supreme Court give these helpless unborn babies the same rights leftists demand for illegal aliens and convicted criminals.

I'm all for deporting people who are in the U.S. illegally, but that has nothing to do with a fetus.
February 15, 2017
trance formation usa
I agree that racism is learned. But I don't think it will ever be eradicated 100% no matter how forward-thinking we humans become. Same with sexism and homophobia. There's just something about the "otherness" in people that is too easy to blame for all things bad. From a bigot's perspective, if a Hispanic person commits a crime, it's clearly because they're Hispanic and Hispanic people are an inferior race. If a woman drives badly, it's obviously because she's a woman and women are terrible drivers. And so on. It's significantly harder to acknowledge the flaws within the bigot's own psyche than to point the finger outward.

Projection will always be a thing. It's why so many vocal homophobes turn out to be closeted gays. big grin with biting lip

What if there is a statistical preponderance of evidence that some groups may be better/worse when it comes to certain characteristics that are socially acceptable versus antisocial?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login